WIP Beta released Node Based Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Jesus Goose, Nov 22, 2025.

  1. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    Now on the repo: https://www.beamng.com/resources/node-based-tire-wear.36502/

    Experimental mod that adds tire wear and thermals. Wear, friction, and mass are simulated for each node on the tire allowing for dynamic behaviors such as flatspots and natural camber wear.


    ​
    This project was started back around BeamNG v0.20 when I saw there was an experimental tire thermal simulation that was commented out in the vehicle wheels lua. It originally only handled temperature based friction, but I noticed it calculated the energy for thermals through the nodeCollision callback (similar to how tire smoke works). Using that callback to get the energy per node, I added wear accumulation along with some other features and had something that "worked".

    I ended up dropping the project for a while as the original simulation wasn't very accurate and I was sure the devs would release their official tire thermals soon. Luuk's Tire Thermals ended up releasing not long after with an impressive system of its own, so I felt my node based method wasn't really needed anyways.

    ​

    More recently I saw the High Poly Wheels mod by Fillman86 and to my surprise it took very little effort getting the two mods to work together. It worked great as the added nodes gave more detail to camber wear and flatspots. This gave me some ideas for improvements, and along with what I learned on more recent projects, I started working on the mod again.

    Features -
    • Node based wear handling. Wear affects the friction and mass of each node.
    • In depth tire thermal simulation. Temperatures are calculated for the tire rim, air, core and surface.
    • Tire wear visualizer. Enable to see the wear for each node.
    • Ability to save, load, repair, flip, and swap tires. Repairing deflated tires is experimental, if tires are deflated by any other source than this mod repairing will make them invincible.
    • Adjustable wear slider.
    How to Use -
    • Select the "wheeldamage" part in the "License Plate Design" slot.
    • Add the "Tire Thermal Debug" UI app (optional).
    • Drive.

    Currently beta access is available on my Patreon. I wasn't planning on releasing V1 this early, but certain features were faster to develop than originally anticipated and the mod is already in a pretty stable state.

    Planned for V2 -
    • Tire inventory system.
    • Live tire pressure changing.
    • Tire pressure changes based on temperatures.
    • Improved tire repair.
    • Node Based Thermals (unlikely but still possible).
     

    Attached Files:

    #1 Jesus Goose, Nov 22, 2025
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2025
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    • Fixed issues with repairing after spike strips
    • Tires can no longer be "repaired" if the pressure group is destroyed.
    Repairing tires after physical damage seemed to work at first, but upon further inspection is seems to only repair the sidewalls of the tire while the pressure group remains destroyed. There is no way to "fix" the pressure group without resetting the vehicle, but you can still do some workarounds with the Individual Part Repair Menu.
     

    Attached Files:

    • Like Like x 1
  3. GodliZ

    GodliZ
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2021
    Messages:
    16
    Good stuffz
     
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shockapow

    Shockapow
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    26
    not being able to see four tires at the same time is probably the biggest issue I have with this, but it's a great mod that gives realistic tire wear compared to other tire wear mods
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    Thanks, I plan on addressing the 2 wheel issue in my next UI redesign (if the devs don't release something first) as the current UI is based on the old brake thermals debug app. I did however notice that you can now add multiple of the same app to the UI layout, I think this is new in 0.38 but either way it seems to work for displaying more tires in the meantime.
     
  6. Shockapow

    Shockapow
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    26
    I have been using that as a work around for a bit, and it does work, just only with seeing all four wheels. Adjustments made to tire wear do have to be made on both instances of the app to work properly though.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BlueCat 2

    BlueCat 2
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    May 8, 2021
    Messages:
    4
    I'm curious if you will consider factoring in brake temp for the core temp of the tires? this is an extremely important part of tire thermals overall and it appears that your mod overlooks this.
    For example, Luuks tire wear/thermals mod mostly bases its temperature system off of brake temp, although i prefer your mod for the wear and how it handles the thermals currently, I wish that the brakes had a more substantial use when it came to heating up the tires whilst using your mod
    --- Post updated ---
    And another question, how does the tire temperature actually affect the grip of tires?
     
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    I haven't gone all out on overhauling thermals yet as I am unsure when the BeamNG devs are going to release tire thermals, but I have already waited over 3 years so maybe I should just do it now. Adding brake thermals specifically shouldn't be too hard as wheel rim temp is already part of the simulation.

    As for how thermals affect tire grip, that is also part of the original thermals I found in the game code to make this. It has some functions for calculating the thermal efficiency of tires based on a table of data for different tire types. It only has a "street" tire type for now but in theory more can be added with different thermal behaviors. I am not sure how accurate it is but I left it in for now as it doesn't have a huge affect on grip compared to wear.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BlueCat 2

    BlueCat 2
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    May 8, 2021
    Messages:
    4
    And another question, how does the tire temperature actually affect the grip of tires?
    personally, i think that the tire update may take around 1-1.5 years considering that they're basically rebuilding the system from scratch and most likely ditching pressurewheels, as for the "tire types" thing, i'm sure that you can guesstimate the optimal temperatures for fake tire types. Lets say like 90-95 for slicks, 55-60/65 for street tires and 30-40 for regular road tires, as for how easy it'll be to make that tho? i have no idea, I'm by no means good at modding let alone making something as good as this, i wish you luck tho!
     
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Shockapow

    Shockapow
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    26
    I feel like road tires should have a wide but low temp range with relatively low grip, like 20-55. Street tires should have a little overlap with road tires but not get as hot as slicks, so like 40-75. Slicks have high grip but at relatively high temps but still have a decent range, like 80-95. Going from lowest potential grip to highest, in the temp range is pretty obvious, but hard to get feeling right. A tire warming up to the temperature range should be fairly linear, just starting to flatten in the middle, and it should start to quickly drop off as the temperature gets over the range. A cold tire has low grip, and wears faster than up to temp tires when driven aggressively. Hot tires wear really fast and have lower grip than up to temp tires, but more grip than cold.

    Tires are complicated, so it's understandable why the Beam devs have taken so long to take on the funky tires, especially when you start adding off-road tires, getting grip for tire walls, etc.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LiXennn

    LiXennn
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    May 11, 2025
    Messages:
    32
    Tire behavior is widely documented, and implementing a tire model is not a technical challenge in itself. The real difficulty lies in achieving the correct dynamic behavior. It is common to have a model that respects most known parameters and physical properties, yet still behaves incorrectly under transient conditions.

    This usually comes from real-time constraints, numerical limitations, and incomplete coupling between the tire, chassis, and environment. To address this, real-time simulators rely on additional state-dependent layers that dynamically adjust effective tire properties based on vehicle behavior. These mechanisms are necessary to compensate for what cannot be solved directly in real time.

    All serious driving simulators, whether for games or professional use, apply such approaches, explicitly or implicitly. Even experienced studios continue to iterate on tire models, which shows how complex and unsolved this problem still is. Fully reproducing real-world tire physics in real time is not realistic; compromises are unavoidable, and state-based correction remains the most practical way to achieve believable behavior
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Superplayz 765

    Superplayz 765
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2016
    Messages:
    41
    I know i posted this on the youtube channel but I also like to post it here.... is it possible to make a version that makes the plate spawn default on all cars?
     
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    I'm currently going over the thermals code specifically looking at the friction loss due to heat. Having broad categories for tires like "race" and "street" sounds like it would work, but looking at it now it may be better to build a profile based on the tire characteristics themselves. This is already used for tire wear, using variables like softness, tread, and node weight to estimate the tire wear rate. I'm not sure how realistic those estimations are, but I think its close enough to be believable while also allowing for tires to have unique profiles. The end goal for this mod isn't to be super realistic, it's to make a simulation that the player can dynamically interact with in all sorts of cool ways while still being convincing.
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't think there is a way to do it while keeping it compatible with the repo. I might make a separate version and post it here but in the meantime you can save the part in a config for later use.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Superplayz 765

    Superplayz 765
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2016
    Messages:
    41


    yeah it breaks the repo rules but having it forum would work! im asking because having it on my beammp server would make it easier so we dont have to keep adding it
     
  15. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    20260122021938_1.jpg ​
    V2 is not done yet, but I think there is a good amount to share at this point. To start there is a new UI app "Tire Thermal Display" that is used to display basic information for all tires at once, and you can also click to repair tires. The tire layout is dynamically generated and should work with almost any configuration of wheels and axles, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some exceptions.

    Next the "Tire Thermal Debug" menu got revamped, adding a lot more debug information and sliders as clutter is no longer a concern. The changes weren't all with UI though as thermals also got some more changes and tweaks. There were some errors in airspeed calculations that have been corrected along with rolling energy so now heating and cooling should be more inline with real life numbers.

    I still want to add some sort of tire inventory system and maybe node based thermals, but that will have to wait until everything is more complete. V2 is currently in beta access on Patreon, but I hope to have it ready for the repo sometime next month.
     
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Тоша

    Тоша
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2026
    Messages:
    1
    У меня проблема, я загрузил мод, ставлю повреждение колёс, но не появляется меню и показатели повреждений шин, просто мод не работает, хотя можно выбрать повреждение шин
     
  17. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    Make sure to add the UI apps to the layout https://documentation.beamng.com/getting_started/user_interface/. They will only appear if they are in the layout and the "wheeldamage" part is installed.
     
  18. rramero

    rramero
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3
    Awesome mod! I really stressed test the heck out of this with a couple friends of mine. Looking forward to see how the new update from today behaves.

    I saw that you cited performance reasons for making this a separate equipped part, would this mod lag the game if a lot of vehicles were equipped with this by default? I was hoping it could act like the other thermals mod. Of course, not pressuring you to change the scope, I just wanted to know for reasons.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jesus Goose

    Jesus Goose
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2022
    Messages:
    77
    The main limitation is that the lua callbacks needed for collision energy are only available to "controllers" and the wheels lua itself. When first making the mod I had directly modified the wheels lua so it would be active on every vehicle, however that method was not compatible with the repo and would likely break every time the game updated. Later I found that the "controller" lua also gets access to the callbacks with the only downside being that it needs a part on the vehicle. Performance considerations were also part of it as I did not want the player to be forced to have it active on all cars, but at the same time I have noticed very little impact on fps from this mod on my low end pc so it probably wouldn't hurt much.

    As I was typing this out I decided to look again and found a method for enabling a controller without a part, I'll throw together a simple addon that enables the controller by default.
    --- Post updated ---
    This should enable the mod controller whenever it is possible. It still requires the original mod to be installed, but this addon should work for all old/future versions of the mod. There are some issues with the controller being loaded on props and vehicles without wheels, but that will be fixed soon.
     
  20. xSnipah

    xSnipah
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2026
    Messages:
    1
    Awesome mod! I'm enjoying it a lot! I do have a problem with traffic tho, if i have the NodeTireWearAuto enabled and i spawn the traffic, i get an error saying that simple_vehicle can't be loaded. Even without any other mods other than yours. Keep up the good work!
     
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice