WIP Nissan Silvia S15

Discussion in 'Land' started by brickolo, Nov 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allots

Allots
    Expand Collapse

It will be free once it's finished

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Drivesafe4

Drivesafe4
    Expand Collapse

Shame it's at the point where this is constantly asked.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I wouldn’t ever charge for my very first beamNG mod so no

• Like Like x 2
  4. DusterPL

DusterPL
    Expand Collapse

Were you using Forza's S15 model as reference because it's proportions look insanely off compared to the real thing. But I don't wanna be rude or anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bloxxor

bloxxor
    Expand Collapse

You can always say; it's lore friendly so that's why it looks different

• Like Like x 1
  6. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

the proportions are based off blueprints I found on the internet, and pictures, they aren't based of forza models. I 100% agree a lot of the proportions of the car seem pretty off, if i'd started the project again from scratch I would have based them off laserscan models but it's too late for that. I tried to keep proportions reasonably accurate but I couldn't really do miracles, especially when I started modelling this without too much experience. There are some fundamental proportional issues that I still plan on fixing, mostly the oversized tail lights, but there's a lot that's pretty difficult to change at this stage in development.

Also when you say the proportions are wayy off could you be a bit more specific? I do see what you mean, but could you maybe just point out the main proportional issues in a bit more detail? I've been looking at my model for months on end so I've kinda lost the eye for all the imperfections in the model, it'd be really helpful if you pointed them out!

also here's a side view of the car with blueprints from nissan (notice that from orthographic views it seems fine):
    upload_2022-6-17_22-48-13.png

(also sorry for the giant block of text)

#306 brickolo, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  7. nortenho

nortenho
    Expand Collapse

being honest, I think it looks better that way than if it was a perfect copy, that way it looks more like a lore friendly car (even if it isn't) and I find it more interesting than if it were 100% identical

• Like Like x 1
  8. DusterPL

DusterPL
    Expand Collapse

I understand that and I agree that it's definitely too late to edit many things, I was just curious and wanted to ask.
    By what I mean about proportions, well it's definitely the front. I don't really know how to describe it, it's just... off. Headlights are definitely too big and placed incorrectly, the gap on the front between the hood and the bumper is too narrow, the whole front bumper seems to be too short, also the whole shape of the front makes the car look small. There are other errors too but I really don't wanna look rude or to point things out that I don't even know how to properly fix. Especially if it would end up as the "lore friendly" version of the car, then all those differences would make sense.

15042-DSC_3035.jpeg upload_2022-6-15_16-54-42.png
    Nissan_SIlvia_Varietta_S15_front.jpg upload_2022-6-15_16-54-422.png
    Comparison photos I guess.

9. jasel

jasel
    Expand Collapse

nice! will be there skin support and lb version?
    2783391033437384112.jpg

10. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

this is honestly really helpful, thank you so much. the gap between bumper and hood is an easy fix and the fact that the lights are too big is definitely true looking at it with those comparison pictures. I’ll make proportional adjustments in the next week or two as much as possible and see how it ends up. I might decide to try to base proportions off of GT6/7 models as from my understanding they are based off laserscans (correct me if i’m wrong or if I shouldn’t be using them as references).

I don’t really know how salvageable the model is but I’ll do what I can, this might delay stuff by a couple weeks but if it takes more then that or if the results are still meh I’ll decide to keep it lore friendly.
    --- Post updated ---
    a lb version has been requested before so hopefully yes, skin support is already in the works with a skin uv layout already developed (although this’ll be pretty heavily affected when i start on the proportional changes i just mentioned)
    --- Post updated ---
    this is an interesting take, I’ll have backups of this model incase I wanna restore it but for now i’m sticking with my first plan of making a non lore-friendly silvia to avoid confliction with LJs 250bx.

• Like Like x 5
  11. DusterPL

DusterPL
    Expand Collapse

Gran Turismo models are DEFINITELY a great base for car modding in terms of making them as close to the real thing as possible. They are indeed laser scanned and have proper proportions especially GT Sport and GT7 models, These are incredibly well detailed. But GT6 S15 will do just right, but remember that in GT6 there are both low PS2 quality models and new HQ one's, You can easily distinguish them by the fact that the newer model has interior.

12. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

this is an interesting take, I’ll have backups of this model incase I wanna restore it but for now i’m sticking with my first plan of making a non lore-friendly silvia to avoid confliction with LJs 250bx
    I’ve downloaded GT models now and started adjusting the proportions of the car, the differences are big but not absolutely absurd which means i’ll be able to adjust the shell to closely match the GT models without changing topology much. The bigger problem will be making the inner unibody match the altered shell proportions without messing up textures and UVs. If i decide to go through with the process fully it will probably take a few weeks.

Here's what I've done so far, I've adjusted the proportions around the rear bumper, quarter panels and boot to match the GT model (cycle through the photos to see the differences):
    This is an early wip so there's a sudden cut off where I haven't adjusted the mesh yet around where the rear of the sideskirt starts. The proportional adjustments where only done to the shell (because moving around solidified stuff is a pain) and will need to be done to the inner part of the unibody later. My plan is to start with the rear and slowly move towards the front until the entire shell is perfectly proportional, I'll then make sure the inner parts of the car work properly with the altered proportions.

Grand turismo shell:
    GTcomparison.png
    My shell before adjustments:
    GTcomparison2.png

My shell after adjustments:
    GTcomparison3.png
    Grand turismo shell (again):
    GTcomparison.png
    My shell after adjustments (angle 2):
    GTcomparison4.png

• Like Like x 13
  13. Porsche lover

Porsche lover
    Expand Collapse

Love your enthusiasm, awesome!

• Like Like x 3
  14. mitaka_4303

mitaka_4303
    Expand Collapse

that looks nice, great!

• Like Like x 1
  15. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

update:

so I've done some more proportional adjustment to the shell and also re-did some topology,
    now everything other then the bumper and lights is perfectly proportional.

GT reference model:
    npGT.png

new updated shell:
    npBL.png

once I do the bumper the easy part will be done, after that I'm gonna have to make gaps between the panels smooth in reflections again, merge the shell in with all the other parts and also re-do stuff like glass since it's badly misplaced. After that I gotta adjust the jbeam accordingly and then I'm done with fixing the proportions (atleast of the main body panels).

• Like Like x 13
  16. DusterPL

DusterPL
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap, that was fast. Looks fantastic compared to how it looked previously. Good job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Thanks,
    modelling is so much easier and faster when just working with the shell and no other parts of the car. If things keep going smoothly I might be able to get all the proportions fixed by the end of the week.

• Like Like x 2
  18. nortenho

nortenho
    Expand Collapse

my god...
    this is perfect

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Trampis

Trampis
    Expand Collapse

wow

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. brickolo

brickolo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

update:

fixed the proportions on the bumper and headlights, now the entire shell is nice and accurate.

some mesh in the front is still a bit messy from the adjustments but other then that the shell is probably in it's near-final state
    S15shellnp-ad.png

• Like Like x 12
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice