Naval Warfare

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by HighBeam9000, Sep 9, 2022.

1. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Start with the news reel and just hit the viewer with a jarring switch to the Monster Truck stuff. And don't forget to include the 262 doing stunts, that's one of the most important things. The tone shift has to be as sudden as possible. From a documentary looking thing to 'BE THERE, BE THERE, BE THERE, DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN BEAMNG.NAVY'.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Oh, hells yes! This is gonna be good! ...and it'll have to be well-scripted. I'm probably going to attempt an English accent for the newsreel, then go full Macho Man Randy Savage!

"Good morning, and good day, fair patriots... blah blah... off to war in faraway lands... etc etc... must protect our sacred way of life. To this end, we will be holding a recruitment rally on SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! ...THE THRILLS AND SPILLS YOU THE FANS WANT TO SEE AND HEAR! ...[MORE COOL STUFF]... BE THERE!!!"

I need to find some newsreels and monster truck rally commercials to borrow some vocabulary. I also need to find out if my very basic video editing software can turn normal footage into WWII-looking footage via black-and-white conversion, adding some shake & jitter, and adding some streaks and other imperfections. I'm using an old version of iMovie on my Mac, and also whatever comes with Windows laptops these days. If my current vidware doesn't do it (probably doesn't), does anybody know of free vidware that can convert to old-looking footage?

This is turning into a collaborative effort. I love it! With some rolling credits at the end of the vid, we'll be like big shot Hollywood movie makers :cool:, except without the money.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't get much more jarring than that, perfection! I think an English accent straight into a full American accent makes it even more jarring! If you need any tips on the English accent, maybe I could help a bit. Mine isn't perfect, but I think the couple of years of practice could allow me to give a few useful tips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

I could definitely use help in a number of ways.
    1. I'll probably need suggestions & reviews when writing the script. Word selection in the "News Reel" portion of the video should be authentic since it's kinda historical-ish in nature. I'd be wise to watch some old news reels and takes notes. That will also help with British pronunciations of certain words. @SmokeyDokey, word has it you can help with English accent stuff. After the script is done, I'll probably start making recordings and posting them in a private conversation for review. We don't want to post too much of this WIP or we'll ruin the surprise. :) If there's anybody else who can do accent coaching, we'll rope you into the convo if you like.
    2. We'll need footage, lots and lots of footage. For the "News Reel" portion or the recruitment video, I was thinking about wartime combat footage. We should settle on what kind of markings we want to put on the military gear for each side of The Conflict and stick to it for consistency.
      1. Air-to-air combat; Dogfights!
      2. Bombing runs
      3. Antishipping warfare
      4. Even snowman-to-snowman combat (Marines!)
      5. Anything and everything. If it's combat near, on or above water, anybody and everybody should go nuts and film it. We can set up a private group conversation to collaborate on that too. We'll include anybody in the convo who wants to contribute to footage.
    3. For the "Monster Truck Show" portion of the video, we're going to take an air and boat show and set it on fire. ...and you're right: we need stunts, lots and lots of stunts. Any cool stunt that involves a plane, boat, or military land vehicle. Here are some ideas for air stunts:
      1. Of course: loops, corkscrews, etc.
      2. Loops, corkscrews etc. while flying in formation.
      3. Flying inverted at high speed just above the surface of the water.
    One of my next couple posts will be a very, very rough draft of a script, and I'll update that post as the script evolves until we have the production version. The recruitment video is essentially a commercial, so the script will be short. Next, I'll record voiceover lines from the script. Once we're satisfied with the voiceovers, we can process some video and sync up some music.

BTW, I added "Adapt CrashHard Explosive barrels for use as depth charges" to the to-do list in Naval Warfare post #130.

PS - When I suggest starting private conversations, it's only to maximize surprise and awe when the final product is revealed. Anybody can ask into a convo if they don't mind spoilers.

#144 HighBeam9000, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I did writing for a while in college so if you need help writing the script I can probably lend a hand with it, just send it over and I'll review it

• Like Like x 1
  6. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

OK. I'll probably need to check out a few old WWII news reels first to get a feel for it. After we get something hammered out, we can post it here for a general review. The folks here got good ideas for harvesting. :)

7. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Another idea: We're not limited to naval bases on levels already with an ocean. We can use the Flood mod and drop a naval base on any level.

If the level doesn't already have an ocean:
    1. Open the World Editor.
    2. Drop in a Water Plane named "Ocean".
    3. Close the World Editor.
    4. Press Ctrl-L to reload Lua.
    5. Use the Flood mod control panel to set sea level.
    I just recently returned from a tour of duty off the coast of Utah. The following photo is of our carrier setting sail at sunrise. We're just starting flight operations.
    upload_2022-11-15_1-50-20.png

8. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Uh-oh... What have I been up to?

upload_2022-11-16_1-42-6.png

Is this the ANSTOL-12? Maybe... :)

Can it operate from a carrier? Maybe... :D

However, I'm going to need more practice with the B25:

upload_2022-11-16_2-33-40.png

#148 HighBeam9000, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

I've found a reason for the STOL-25 to exist (three actually)
    - The modern BeamNG.Navy needs as many planes as possible for a massive war approaching, so the B-25, though outdated, is modernized to help out.
    - Back when the B-25 was in service, some BeamNG.Aliens were forced to use their tech in some B-25s
    - The BeamNG.Government was ahead of its time and did it itself.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, I found a plane that needs the STOL treatment. It still works, but you can't land anywhere due to its high landing speed (like a Concorde). With the STOL addition, it'll fit into the fleet perfectly.
    (2) Avro Arrow | BeamNG

• Like Like x 1
  10. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

The BeamNG.navy definitely needs to get as many planes as it can. Speaking of which, the AN-12 achieved it's STOL certification today. The "ANSTOL-12" is now a thing. Video is attached. :)

The AN-12 STOL Conversion Kit will be posted in a few days. It's pretty much done. It's just going through final testing. The B25 STOL Conversion Kit will be more difficult to test because the B25 is a bit twitchy compared to the AN-12, but the B25 can be STOL'd too.

Attached Files:

#150 HighBeam9000, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

The AN-12 STOL Conversion Kit has been posted and will be available from the Repository when it becomes public.

12. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Can the STOLide skydive from an AN-12?

Yes, it can!

13. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

Geez i thought it was in slow-mo at the end

Also i liked how WE Can see the an-12 and it's door falling

• Like Like x 1
  14. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! :) A lot of IRL skydiving vids I've seen start with the camera pointing in the direction of the plane to catch the initial drop. The plane provides a very nice point of reference when trying to set up a camera path.

If it looks like a flying car landing in slo-mo, that's the magic of the STOLide. It can land almost anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

Just kinda liked how we Can see the an-12 falling on the ground later in the video

16. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

For the BeamNG.navy recuitment video, we have this footage so far:
    • ANSTOL-12 carrier ops (I might re-record the landing. It needs to be a bit smoother and better aligned to the center of the flight deck on approach.)
    • STOLide skydiving
    I'm going to watch some old WWII news reels today and develop a script for the vid. Also, is Sunday Sunday Sunday the most popular day for monster truck shows?
    --- Post updated ---
    I think I'm going to name my primary STOL carrier the USS Phoenix because she's sank so many times but keeps coming back. Here she is at the crack of dawn off the coast of Italy:
    screenshot_2022-11-20_11-33-47.png

Specifications:
    • 5x5 barge footprint
    • Island: Man TGS Euro 6
      • Mast is raised crane arm with InstaCoupler as mast light
    • 4x Phoukon Mark I point defense weapons
    • Aircraft:
      • STOL262s
      • STOLides
    ANSTOL-12s can launch if the deck is cleared. The island and the CIWS units are a bit too close to be safe otherwise. I'm going to design a 7x7 carrier (Leviathan class) with a left-offset runway to handle ANSTOL-12s and other large aircraft.

• Like Like x 2
  17. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Leviathan Class Supercarrier at sunset:
    screenshot_2022-11-21_23-19-20.png
    • STOLide parking on the port side. Runway proximity is not a problem because the ANSTOL-12's wings can clear the STOLides.
    • LOTS of parking on the starboard side.

Gemini Class Supercarrier at dusk:
    screenshot_2022-11-22_00-58-29.png
    • Catamaran-esque hull design (not actually a catamaran though).
    • Pushes runway far to port so contiguous parking area is maximized on starboard side.

Both of these new carrier hulls can be generated using the spawn script in Naval Warfare Post #72. Instructions are also in the post.

#157 HighBeam9000, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

Did anybody see who parked this right at the entrance to the port?
    screenshot_2022-11-23_01-54-37.png

It looks like somebody stole a carrier from Motorsports Playground and just left it here. The Admiral's gonna be pissed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

If you've operated aircraft in Motorsports Playground (MSPG), then you've probably seen at least one of the helicarriers floating above the map. There are a total of 5 carriers in MSPG: 1 floating on the lake, and another 4 floating at various altitudes above the map, including one at over 13000 feet! If you're doing some carrier ops, and the carrier has to move, then we know that it has to be a barge carrier. However, if the carrier will be stationary, wouldn't it be great if you could spawn the MSPG helicarrier? Well, now you can!

Here's how the MSPG carrier compares in size to the Leviathan Class barge carrier:
    screenshot_2022-11-24_01-36-00.png

Here's the MSPG carrier blockading the Jungle Rock Island lagoon:
    screenshot_2022-11-24_02-31-29.png

Here's a MSPG carrier in the wasteland at the end of the world:
    screenshot_2022-11-24_02-45-51.png

Here's how to spawn the MSPG carrier:
    1. Obtain the Motorsports Playground mod map from the Repository.
    2. Download HighBeam9000_MSPG_HeliCarrier.zip from this post and put it in your mods folder.
    3. Go to any one of the following maps:
      1. Cliff
      2. Ghosts Desert
      3. Grid Map v2
      4. Italy
      5. Jungle Rock Island
      6. Sandy Mountain
      7. Small Island
      8. Small Grid
      9. Utah
      10. West Coast USA
    4. Open the World Editor (Default is F11)
    5. In the World Editor, select Asset Browser from the Windows menu.
    6. Find "gerryfrod.dae" in the Asset Browser. It'll be under /art/shapes/race/.
    7. Drag gerryfrod.dae into the scene.
    8. Select Inspector from the Windows menu.
    9. In the Inspector window, use the numeric "Scale" fields for x, y and z to scale the carrier up to 7x its initial size.
    10. Also in the Inspector window, change collisionType to "Visible Mesh Final", and change decalType to "Visible Mesh Final".
    11. Use World Editor tools to move and rotate the carrier where you want it.
    12. Close the World Editor (Default is F11)
    13. Enjoy!
    UPDATE 1:
    Now there's a script to spawn the carrier for you, and another script to put lights on it. Steps 1-3 above still apply. After that, go to the debug window (tilde key '~') and type the following commands (Be sure "GE Lua" is selected):

scripts_HighBeam9000__MSPG__HeliCarrier_extension.spawnCVN75carrier(carrierX, carrierY, carrierZ, carrierAngle)

scripts_HighBeam9000__MSPG__HeliCarrier_extension.spawnCVN75lights(carrierX, carrierY, carrierZ, carrierAngle)

...where carrierX, carrierY and carrierZ are the desired coordinates, and carrierAngle is the desired heading for the carrier.

Attached Files:

#159 HighBeam9000, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  20. HighBeam9000

HighBeam9000
    Expand Collapse

In the following photo, the carrier and lights are all spawned from a script:
    screenshot_2022-11-25_20-15-46.png

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice