WIP Beta released MX Backyard

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by NkosiKarbul, Mar 9, 2014.

1. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Update:
    I hope i fixed the missing mud material and its odd behaviour. Also, i tried to fix the fact the map would use tree models from the gridmap.
    Beside the fixed beta version, i uploaded a patch for all the people who already downloaded the beta in front. Just copy the folder called "MX_Backyard" from the patch zip into your level folder to overwrite two files.

Please report if you still have problems, im not entirely sure i did it right. :/

First post has the attachments. ;)

Hm if you start from behind the mud that didnt work to drive throu the 180°wallride onto the jump over the lake, you should easily make it, just dont drive the courner to far down to keep more speed throu it.
    And ya i would be curious to see how you all drive the track! After the race update i will add checkpoints and stuff for time trial of course so we can compare times. ;P
    But there is still around 2-3 kilometers track missing i think.

#21 NkosiKarbul, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

This is most likely my fault, but im getting an error when trying to open the map 'Error reading PNG file: IDAT: CRC error'

would anyone know what i did to make it say this, or how to fix it?

Edit: never mind fixed it by removing and re installing..i think. idk what the heck i did to get that error lol.

Love the map, pretty tricky to get it right without force feedback in my opinion, this will be awesome with the race update and a FFB update XD thanks bud!

#22 Nish01, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  3. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Tried that method about 30 times and finally made it once.. and then crashed.. of course. It's not really the jump that's hard it's getting speed on that fricken bumpy road. 90% of the time I spin out on the straightaway leading to the jump simply because it's bumpy.

4. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Hm k, i can try to make it less bumpy, but after reaching a certain speed the only surface thats not bumpy is one that was enforced to be on the same heightlvl within the brush area. I doubt i can connect the courner and the jump using that, but will see.

What kind of input do you use? I can drive that part completely straight in most cases with minimal steering corrections and no real danger to spin, but i use a xbox 360 pad. :/

5. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

I expected you did. I use the keyboard. I always have and probably always will. I might try to get a wired 360 controller though. And don't worry. I'm just talking randomly. There's nothing wrong with the map. I'm just not the greatest driver XD However I did make it now. At this point it's the forth jump that gives me trouble. I'm sure I'll make it eventually. Please don't give up on this map though. I'd love to see it completed.

6. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

You could probably find a wired Xbox controller on ebay or in a pawn shop
    for about $5.

7. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Decided to make a video of myself trying to go as far as I can on your map :3 Skip to 2:05 for the map. The first part is just me talking about getting 50 subs lol

#27 Nickorator, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  8. Aces98

Aces98
    Expand Collapse

If you have an Nvidia card, 600 series or higher, use a program called shadowplay. best recording with no lag. That FPS would be unplayable for me lol. Just a tip :p

9. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

That's very good for keyboard action!

10. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Yeah.. I've learned to deal with it. Right now I just have an old AMD. I might get a Geforce soon. Maybe even a new gaming PC completely. But I'm getting tired of this lag. I can barely play on half my maps. At the lowest settings may I remind you. I was surprised I could even play that smoothly on a map like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks :) Like I said probably getting a wired controlled sometime soon. I've been playing racing games on the keyboard since like 2004 so I've gotten somewhat good at it :p

11. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Yay a video of my map! <3
    And.. Wow... that is realy good for keyboard! I would not even get the second jump right, not even the steep courner in front of it, while using keyboard myself.
    But what the @ 7:05 :/ i never managed to have the scarab do a forward roll after landing that second jump, does that happen offten?
    Because i tried to remove every chance for it to happen. And thats not a question of your driving, but a question of the ramps i would say.
    But nick... i can tell you why you dont make the huge drop, you drive the wallride in front to low and from the outside like you would cut a normal flat courner. But you dont cut steep turns and wallrides that much on dirt. At least not on my track.^^
    You have to drive pretty straight into it, rather than aiming for the lowest point of it. Then climb it up to the middle of the road or even to the very top edge while slowly going into the turn, but not (much) faster than the courner itself. It is important to get the height to use gravitation to gain more speed again on the way down. As the track is designed near the top speed of the car, the car does not have very much torque in reserve for you to use, in situations where the torque experiences higher resistance from the ground, as while driving up a hill. Because of that, the car will lose and regain more speed when driving over the top edge, than it can keep up throughout the bottom of the courner. I hope that makes some sense.
    Check my video again, and try steep courners on multiple new lines you did not drive before, maybe check some mtb dirt videos including wallrides. The main way how a mtb rider gains speed from a wallride is pumping his weight into the ramp to redirect it into a forward motion. Sadly we cant pump but at least we can use gravity. :p
    Note, every steep turn and wallride drives slightly or drastically different than any other one on the same map.

I think i will make a fps friendly version of the map once the track is done. One with less rocks, bushes and trees. At the moment I use them to create a kind of tunnel vision effect on the driver, but i guess it doesnt need that much realy in the fps version then. Specialy as the normal version still has empty spots that need to get filled with even more forrest objects.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Expand Collapse

Great fun map NkosiKarbul! Excellent for the buggies. Thanks man! :D

13. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Thanks :D And I'd say it actually happens pretty often. Like maybe 1 in 3ish for me :/ And yeah.
    I kinda get what you're saying. I'm trying to go as high as I can on the walls now. That way I can get the potential energy to go back down as fast as possible.
    I've managed to make it to the 5th jump now with the keyboard. The one that jumps up onto the road of the side of the mountain. If you know what I'm talking about XD But yeah. I can't do them all at once in a million tries. But I can usually begin to master one if I do it enough times. Which I'm trying to do with jump #5 right now. The map you posted really helps.
    I can't wait until this map is finished. It's already awesome. And the fps version would be very nice. I can tolerate the 20-25ish fps I get right now, but an upgrade sure would be nice.
    Kinda off topic but I'm probably getting a huge PC upgrade in the next few months. New card, new CPU, might just go right ahead and build a gaming PC. But yeah. I can't wait till I get a controller. Then I'll really be able to conquer this map.
    It's just about all I play right now XD Just trying to master all the jumps. But at each jump there's always that tree. The one that my Scarab always finds. And hits. Hard. lol
    dat tree.JPG

Thanks for this again man. I'm in love with this map

#33 Nickorator, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. Dr.pain

Dr.pain
    Expand Collapse

nice map :)

15. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

Great map!
    Also, I feel almost proud with this
    MXBackyardStartCrash.jpg
    I almost reached the first jump :D

16. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

THANKS FOR THE INFO AND SCREENSHOT MAN! TOTALLY WORTH THE 3 MONTH BUMP!

17. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

This actually deserves a bump. This map is awesome :p
    Hope it gets finished sometime

18. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

Bumping this thread to announce that I've finally managed to complete it in the VW POLO R WRC. Only possible from the outside view due to the bonnet flipping up mid-way through, and obviously the car is a write-off at the end.

Really excellent map with awesome jumps NkosiKarbul, I hope you make more!

#38 B25Mitch, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  19. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

YOU'RE WELCOME BRO. BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE SO KIND. AFTER ALL, I AM POSTING ABOUT A TRACK IN THE THREAD ABOUT THE TRACK AFTER IT HAS BEEN RELEASED. I'M LITERALLY HITLER.

20. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Sick driving skills! I could only ever make it to the jump after the one over the lake lol. I really love this map. Once I get a new PC I'll be playing it all the time lol. But nice video!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice