More Variety of Clouds?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Allots, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Allots

Allots
    Expand Collapse

So I've noticed that BeamNG really doesn't have a large variety of clouds. Sure, there is the ability to edit them via world editor, but I still feel like it's limited. Adding more variety of clouds such as different types of cumulus or stratus clouds would definitely make BeamNG feel more immersive. Even just having the option to change that in only world editor would be satisfactory.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

the problem with cumulus clouds is that they need a much more in-depth simulation to be rendered, you either have to have volumetric simulations, which are stupidly difficult to run, or some sort of weird buggery with normal maps on a flat plane.

the current style can just be done with a noise profile driving how opaque the clouds look, but otherwise it's just a flat plane in the sky.

3. Allots

Allots
    Expand Collapse

I see, so if cumulus clouds can't really be rendered easily, there is still other options for more variety, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but since clouds are based on a flat plane, there can be many types of stratus clouds (since they're typically flat) such as nimbostratus, altostratus, and cirrostratus clouds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice