More offroad trails on Utah map

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Sithhy™, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

So, as many of you know (or not), BeamNG's simulation levels go way more indepth than any other game. One of the things I like to do ingame that involves these wonderful physics, is to do offroading. BeamNG has had the Utah map for some time now & it's a REALLY good map in my opinion, but there's one major thing on that map, that makes it a kind of wasted opportunity by not having it implemented. That major thing is offroad trails. Yes, I know we have dirt roads going all around the map & they're fine since I like driving on them, but they can be driven on even with a Pigeon, which is nowhere near a proper offroading vehicle. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm not grateful for the map & the work that went into it, but by implementing difficult-ish offroading trails, you could create another fun activity for people like me, that don't like crashing just for the sake of it, racing, drifting etc. I know, that adding stuff to an already-made map might be difficult, but (real) Utah itself is like THE place for people that want to go offroading, considering it has one of the most famous offroading places called MOAB (which you also feature on the ingame signs on Utah), which by many people is considered to be the best place to be doing that because of the beautiful scenery, challenging trails & fear of rolling your vehicle right into a canyon & houses offroad trails like Hell's Revenge, Porcupine 4x4 Trail etc. By writing this thread, I'm just asking whoever created the map, to maybe update the map & make it bit more close to the real Utah by adding offroad trails. These don't have to be super hardcore, where only rockbouncers make it up them, but maybe something with medium difficulty, like the aforementioned Hell's Revenge, which isn't as difficult to complete, yet still challenges your vehicle & your skills.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

you could make some with the map editor, basic knowledge of how to edit the terrain and import rocks someone could make an awesome trail

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

There are actually quite a few very challenging areas in Utah, similar to what you have shown. However, they aren't really connected to any trials, and you pretty much have to stumble on them by accident to find them. So I do believe they should be better marked.

4. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

You haven't looked hard enough. there are a couple wicked spots that can be quite challenging.

EDIT : and I agree with CaptanW. You could easily make your own trails.

20170915004721_1.jpg 20170917134301_1.jpg 20171019001401_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

There are quite a few good spots on Utah that aren't actually a road at all, or even connected to roads (for example, the route from the "Climbing Utah" scenario.

With that said, I do hope that the development team eventually expands on Utah by adding a companion map that makes use of many of the same assets. Think of it as the off-road version of ECUSA/Hirochi Raceway.

That's the first thing it needs to have. A trail like that, soft dirt interspersed with bare rock, just hanging right on a cliff on at the map's edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

The area in your second and third picture is a fantastic example of what most of the map could have been, but that area actually has no signs of ever being driven or anything that shows its a track, and also has no way to get off the road to access it in a realistic manor.

Alot of the map has some serious potential to be off road trails but just end up being vertical rock walls that can't be driven up or just lead to dead ends when you get to the top. I especially think the canyon can be improved to have a hard core-ish rock trail right up the centre, it looks like it was started but never finished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG and rock crawling have never mixed. Sorry, but it's true. It hardly worked in Rigs of Rods. The nodes get stuck on rocks, the tires get ripped apart, and it's overall more difficult to simulate the "givens" that we have in the real world (ie a tire cannot pass through a fender, an axle can not pass through a frame, etc). In the same breath I must say that BeamNG and Rigs of Rods have come the closest to simulating rock crawling :)

I digress. That little Hell's Gate knockoff has enough possible lines to keep me plenty happy. Just about everything from mild to wild can be done. The first checkpoint in "Climbing Utah" has multiple little obstacles, as does the third checkpoint. Free cam around, see what you can find. Thankfully the BLM isn't around to tell you what you can and can't crawl over :)

Another tip is, don't just try an obstacle with 35s and F/R lockers. It can be a lot of fun to build a D series with, say 31s and a rear locker only.

8. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

awd sbr4 with 20 inch lift and 35s, stage 1 supercharger and an rpm limit of 4000 with a hi/lo range gearbox?
    someone needs to make that mod.

edit: diesel btw

9. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Major bump (over a year) but since Nadeox1 just posted that clip in the dev media thread I felt like the current lack of trails should be pointed out again. Not that I don't have faith in the devs (the new trails on Hirochi and ECUSA are awesome) but Moab is one of, if not the most well known 4x4 destination in North America, so hopefully the Utah map will give us a taste of that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

'sup
    screenshot_2019-04-26_16-33-05.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

I really hope they do something about the offroad tracks on Utah, currently they just consist of what feel like random rocks that have tire marks near them, no track before or after that lead back to a road, so unless you go around in free cam you would never really find them, i find it very immersion breaking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice