WIP Beta released Modular Mesh Roads Pack v:0.1

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by NkosiKarbul, Feb 25, 2014.

1. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

nocollision.jpg
    I have no collision. And setting collision to Visible Mesh doesn't help either.

2. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Did you close the world editor after importing and in front of testing the collision?
    The editor has to be closed again to have the map update the collision simulation.
    The setting you show in the screen should be on collision mesh, the .dae model has an extra collision mesh beside the rendered LOD mesh.

3. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

Oh thanks. Didn't know that. Now it works.
    yaycollision.jpg
    Once you figure out how the Editor works its really fun to build roads. Thanks allot.

4. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Is that edge on purpose, for a jump? :p
    yaycollision1.jpg
    Because you can allways use strL20down to get from str20up into a flat straight again and you will have no edges at all.
    In case its a jump, you can build landing ramps by copying the launch ramp, turning it 180 degrees (hold shift after you started to rotate to get angle snapping), and moving it down the flight.^^
    Have fun.

Edit: Only thing i noticed is that the courners that go up and down seem to be a littlebit off... meaning they dont connect to each other very well as long you dont rotate them sideways, which is not how i wanted them. Please test that if you want.

5. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is on purpose. And I want to keep it like that so you can make the jump no matter how slow or fast you are.
    Thanks.

What do you mean by that? My English is not that good.

6. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

This'll be sweet to make a highway type of thing!

7. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

They are perfect, I'm replacing some of my mesh roads with them, I'll post pics soon.

8. Elvisnake

Elvisnake
    Expand Collapse

Nice work dude as always, and a very nice idea for those who don't want realise anything with a 3d software ;)

9. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

I'd kill for a wide variety of banked curve pieces.

10. Swanky_Pants

Swanky_Pants
    Expand Collapse

the video is awesome, you should definitely release the map.

11. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

I agree you should definitely release the map :)
    Also, cool pieces, I'd love to see them used in future maps.

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

I got something way better for you guys, its going to be legen... wait for it... dary! ;P
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/7002-NKK-MX-Backyard

The problem with the map you see in the video is its just my gridmap that got humiliated badly as i did just throw some of the ramps together in like one hour and roughly pushed the ground a little lower to make the flickering become less. Most parts are not perfectly alligned and the terrain is nowhere near the edges of the road parts... and the folder structure is a complete mess.
    With other words, the quality is too bad as i would want to release it. Sorry i would rather build a new one with the same jumps if you realy wish for it.
    But i think you will be pretty happy with my filler-in project. Thread with preview video coming up soon.

PS: i still need feedback guys, common, is there nothing you dislike and we could improve before i throw another 100 parts? oO
    You know... that takes time, time i dont want to waste again on a failed batch. So better get your wishes and criticism out...now! XD

#32 NkosiKarbul, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  13. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Some pics of your roads used in my map ;)

screenshot_00015.jpg screenshot_00016.jpg screenshot_00017.jpg
    screenshot_00018.jpg screenshot_00019.jpg

14. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

Criticism, will you be making the roads look used and rough. Less like they were JUST paved and panted? I skimmed through the OP and didn't see it (though I've ready it fully before and don't recall it either).

15. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

The problem i see with that is the danger of ugly looping details, at the moment the texture covers 3 stripes of the middle line, then it repeats as you can see by taking a look at the textures.
    If i add some unique detail in there, it will repeat every 3 stripes, which is very annoying i think. I can however try to make the collour of the markings look more worn off or dirty at parts with soft transitions, that may work and is a very good point. Didnt spend too much attention to it myself.
    Regards bigger and unique details i planned to add decal/sticker like polygon objects. They would be a single polygon without collision and you can choose which kind of texture you want it to display. Textures would be scratches or cracks on an alpha channel (transparent background).
    But i have to see, how much flickering a single textured polygon which is positioned congruent to a second one very closel may cause and also if i still will be able to use normal maps then.
    Never thought about the normal map problem.. thx for the brain-bump^^ have to test something now. :)

16. DrivKan

DrivKan
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your roads, very good idea.

Could you make a tutorial ?

Or you find models roads ?

17. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

What kind of tutorial do you mean please, like what do you want to know/learn?
    And im not sure what you mean with "or you find models roads?", sorry. :(
    Can you try to write it differently again, or in your native language? :)

18. DrivKan

DrivKan
    Expand Collapse

Un tutoriel expliquant la création de route .
    Sur quelle modèles vos route se base t-elle .

A tutorial explaining the creation of road.
    On what model your road does base.

19. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Explaining how you create roads of my parts inside the editor, or how i did create them in the 3d program? :p
    I guess first thingy, how to build roads out of the parts?
    I should be able to create a video tutorial for people who never used the editor some later.

And the parts are not realy based on real roads if you mean dimensions/size.
    The markings are like some german roads would be. I first tried to make them excactly as the german Din-standart sais they have to be, but that didnt work out good for the game. I think most people won't be able to steer as precisely as in real life because they use keyboard for example.

20. DrivKan

DrivKan
    Expand Collapse

Explaining how you create roads of my parts inside the editor, or how i did create them in the 3d program?

Yes .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice