Unsolved Lights break when using animation

Discussion in 'World Editor' started by VectriciXY, Aug 9, 2026.

  1. VectriciXY

    VectriciXY
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2022
    Messages:
    128
    Hi all! I've been using Light Animation for spotlights and pointlights to create aged or failed lights in my Polar Expressway Revamp map. For the past several game versions I noticed that I cannot adjust the brightness of animated lights and it just behaved like when brightness is set to 1.

    And now in 0.39, this issue persists. When an animated light use FireLightAnim animationType, its brightness will be locked to about 0.4 (or 500cd intensity), however you adjust its brightness.

    upload_2026-8-9_16-54-47.png
    (Left: 500cd spotlight without animation; Right: 2000cd spotlight with FireLightAnim animationType.)

    And if you use other animationType, things become worse. If you use Blink, Flicker, Lightning, Pulse or SutlePulse animationType, the light goes complete off.

    upload_2026-8-9_17-1-14.png
    (With Flicker animationType, the light is off despite intensity is set to 2000cd.)

    I don't know whether this is a common issue or this only happens to me. If this is a bug, hope it get fixed soon : )

    Edit: This issue also applies to pointlights.
     
    #1 VectriciXY, Aug 9, 2026
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2026
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Barbent Servo GT

    Barbent Servo GT
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2023
    Messages:
    844
    I often solved the problem of light animations being too dark simply by drastically increasing the brightness of the light color. Since color is just another multiplier, you can use RGB values of e.g. (500,500,500), which is far above (255,255,255), making the light itself significantly brighter. Simply use the numeric input instead of the color selection area to enter such high values. The animations themselves are also multipliers but between 0 and 1, meaning they can only dim the light.

    I assume that the animation data (i.e., the factors) from the old version hasn't been updated yet. And since the light is calculated differently in version 0.39, the animations are now simply much too dark, I think. However, I wouldn't rush into the above-mentioned solution, as I think the devs will certainly update it to include brighter animations for everyone.

    It's also quite possible that the developers have modernized the data format for the animations; I would check that first. If you've also created your own lighting animations, you'll probably need to adjust those as well. Unfortunately, I haven't yet investigated the exact situation in version 0.39+ myself...

    I hope this helps a little. :)
    --- Post updated ---
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Overshooting any RGB value (above 255) also works in version0.39+. THX @MegaKnight
     
    #2 Barbent Servo GT, Aug 11, 2026
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2026
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice