Solved Legran-sourced suspension doesn't work right on a Pessima-based car.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Ytrewq, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I am currently working on a car. I took the Pessima jbeam as the most suitable base, but it needed a different rear suspension. The Legran's dead axle was the best available choice, but integrating it into the Pessima jbeam turned out to be problematic. I thought I did everything that needed to be done, and yet it spawns like this:
    screenshot_2018-10-31_00-19-15.png
    If I pause the game and respawn it, it looks normal,
    screenshot_2018-10-31_00-19-29.png
    but expands as soon as the game is unpaused. Also, it barely cushions impacts as it's always tryind to reach the max expansion state.

Attached Files:

2. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Any help?

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

id like to look through the code, but for some reason, like so many other modded files, the format is all jarbled and not nicely lined up from top to bottom. I have doe it before, where I literally reformat every line so it looks like the original layout but that took me literally over an hour or so to do. Might be something simple, but if theres a way to easily re-format the file, then I would be happy to look into it.

4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

What are you using to open it? I use Notepad++ and Node-Beam editor and the files look fine there.

5. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Gochya, I use normally plain old notepad.

6. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, it is real mess in Notepad. Try downloading Notepad++?

7. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

SURE THING i gotta wait for my IT guy to get here at work, ill tell him to give me admin access so I can install and download shit haha

8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, anyone with Notepad++ to help?

9. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

20181102184441_1.jpg 20181102184445_1.jpg
    It looks like this for me.

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

See how the rear end is up in the sky? It shouldn't be. (Try pausing the game and spawning the car to see how it should look like)
    Also try dropping both it and Legran from a height, and you'll see the difference.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Set collision to false on those few nodes near rear suspension.

Thing that probably happens is that coltris and nodes are colliding, that is surprisingly common to happen.

12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Any idea on what nodes?

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Usually it happens with solid axle and nodes that are in axle come to contact with coltris on body. Just make collision triangle debug enabled and have nodes visible, then spawn your vehicle paused, set slowmotion to 100 times slower and unpause, see what happens under there, what pops up to 'other side'.

Always possible that is not the reason, but that should help to get problem pinpointed.

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I've tried that, and found a coltri that suspension was penetrating on spawn, so I moved two nodes in the body jbeam to fix the problem. Unfortunately, the whole suspension is still wrong.
    I suspect there is problem with group naming and I will look into it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Edit: tried it out and nope, didn't help. Here's my new body jbeam if anyone's interested (suspension remains unchanged for now).

Attached Files:

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Remember to set pessima -> mycar in your suspension file, slot and part name.

Did you try to set whole body to no collision and no self collision? Just for test that it is absolutely not related?

I'm next to useless with suspension things, even what little I knew about them I have mostly forgotten and in BeamNG there are some tricky things.

Highlight beams, so it is easier to see ones to check out. This is green {"highlight":{"radius":0.0075, "col":"#00FF005f"}} R G B A
    upload_2018-11-3_18-53-24.png

How much weight do you have on wheels, how much is your springs?

Line 275 or there about in suspension file:
    //rear springs with soft initial bump stop
    {"beamPrecompression":1.5,

play with that 1.5, set to 1.2 and see what happens.

Something like that.

16. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

It seems normal if I set that to 1.4, but the cause of the problem must be something different than beam values. Feels like it needs more support:
    a free-falling Legran
    screenshot_2018-11-06_19-02-29.png
    a free-falling mystery car
    screenshot_2018-11-06_19-03-20.png
    (latest jbeam files included)

Attached Files:

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If your nodes have different distance apart, then you must adjust precompression and compression to get same movement range.

That is for limiters, shocks, springs etc.

Then if your car's mass is different from LeGran, then springs need to be matched to that mass too.

Can't really figure out what else it could be.

18. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Also for what it looks like a mk1 laguna you might want to look for a different suspension setup, with which the new beams might help.

But more on topic:
    Are the nodes holding the suspension in the crar in close-ish places to the ones on the legran? If they are further than on that car it might lead to suspension turing going all whacky.
    What you might need to to is re-tune everything starting from the beams that attach the suspension to the car (mainly limiters, shocks, springs and so on).

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice