1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Is the Sunburst awful for anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JZStudios, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

It seems the flippyness of the track pessima has been transferred to the track sunburst.

2. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Wow. I don't know what any of that means.

3. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Well, aircraft, car or 'transformer robot', it always depends on the force of the servo in combination with the resistance of the controller. To be really honest I can say there are much much more people with way less RL mileage on their clocks than there are with more then mine. I have driven heavy vehicles since I was a kid and I have driven most objects that contain wheels overall. Drove heavy trucks professionally for 10 years, drove an E classe (up til model 2016) professionally for 8 years, had over 25 bmw's in the past, the '88 M6 as being the most powerful, owned a brand new 2006 mini works, drove Porsches, Mercs, Alfas, Jags, Audi's and lots the more. I'm also an experienced motorcycle driver (12 years) my first being a 900cc fireblade for 3 years. And I'm also an artist :D

I'm a car gamer since around 1987 and flew flight sims for years. When I say that force feedback still swipes the vehicle across the track and yanks the wheel for no reason then I know what I'm talking about, I'd rather imagine the resistance than to receive false resistance, not to even speak about manouvring and cruising without effective center returns. I also mentioned earlier I'm using 900° sprung, that is centering spring :)

edit I also deem it 100% justified that force feedback helps most of us to get the right form of immersion in order to have a good driving/racing experience.

4. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

How old are you? Good lord gramps.
    FFB is hard to do right and a lot of people set it up WAY too stiff. I haven't driven anything without power steering so I don't really know what that feels like, but trying to drift without FFB would be a nightmare. Though I do set the FFB far lower than my typical "racing" FFB. I've also not ever personally felt the FFB yank the car across the track for no reason, outside bad physics causing spins which would happen regardless. That being said, I know you can be faster without it since you can yank the wheel without resistance and some games like GT and iRacing will actually grip up more as a result. Same deal with using something like 270 DOR.
    I don't like doing that and I go for a more "immersive" approach of using full 900 and an actually realistic level of FFB along with my triple screens and 5.1. I just go for a good time more than anything.

5. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

My age is in my profile.

I never wanted to discuss ffb, been there before, I'm trough with it.

Here's gramps in March 2020 :)

6. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Turning the assists off actually does make it a lot better The default assists are way too aggressive and make it under steer like crazy.
    Although even in the "drift" mode clutch kicking and ripping the handbrake I can't get the damn thing to rotaté. It refuses to even so much as look at the suggestion of oversteer with the ESC on at all. The SBR4 and Vivace S can both... slide.
    With the default "Comfort" ESC it does tend to randomly change it's mind, but switching it to sport makes it more predictable and more consistently towards the oversteer spectrum. There's definitely lift off oversteer, but some opposite lock and throttle tightens it back up. It feels a lot better and more nimble than the Sunburst despite being much larger.
    Sport Plus seems to make it a little more drifty, but then also seemingly makes it harder to counter.
    Turning it off it's actually pretty good. It doesn't typically step out, understeer is very minimal, and clutch kicking+handbrake produces pretty controllable slides.
    Right off the bat, the slop in the middle is there on the S 270.
    Again, the default comfort mode is pretty terrible and makes the understeer under braking absolutely terrible. For some reason, when sitting stationary I get 130 FPS, but driving it, it'll dip down to 25. Returning to the Sunburst brings performance back in line. Very, very weird.
    Go figure, I go to record the FPS drops and it doesn't do it. It did seem to dip more into the 110 range than the Sunburst though.
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, so I just started up PCars 2 which has the Evo VI, IX, and X and the difference is night and day. The turn in is quick and responsive, the exit doesn't completely straighten the car under power, and the slides are natural, easy to catch and incredibly fun without having to resort to the handbrake or clutch kicks. The car also doesn't bog down when sliding in favor of actually spinning the wheels, which Beam doesn't seem to like to do unless it's a ludicrous "drift" setup.
    In fact, the turn in is so responsive I was used to Beam's and was turning in way too much and way too early in an effort to counter the under steer in Beam.

#26 JZStudios, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice