1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

is BeamNG improving FPS with updates?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Kw433 (Kevin W), May 26, 2015.

1. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

you can clearly update the cpu

But the bottleneck is gpu Considering i have an old core 2 duo t4500 i myself have a chipset that allow up to the x9000 chip and my cooling can handle it on a hp laptop.

But it worth nothing that i have 4gb ram and have an integrated gpu not worth 5cent.

Dont upgrade that piece of crap except to put an ssd in it if you want faster program and boot time...

Except that get a new one

2. stevenmlittle

stevenmlittle
    Expand Collapse

I have an i7-3820 with a cheep cooler and I NEVER see temps that high even when stress testing an overclock for 30-mins full blast with a worm room. My hottest part is an external HDD at 53C. I hope your laptop (or should I say craptop, my usual saying about laptops) survives at all on a real map that has trees and grass. I would advise getting the game if you intend to upgrade you computer in the near future.

3. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

I've never had a laptop that wasn't hot. My last one would idle at 70C. It ended up not mattering as I smashed it on the floor anyway but it couldn't have survived for much longer always being at least 70 degrees. I want to build my own laptop but have never been able to find somewhere that actually sells an empty case and one that would have better airflow than the HP, Dell, Asus, IBM, etc garbage that's out there. All I have found are the barebones ones where you pick the components but that is not the same.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

My laptop doesnt hit 70 at full load.

The reason you can only find barebones is because nobody sells laptop cases and motherboards to anyone other than OEM. THe motherboards arent even standardised and are fitted to 1 particular case only, same for every other part. It is not financially viable for them to sell to consumers.

5. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, stay away from anything HP. Also that is lame, I've never seen a laptop and thought, "That has a good cooling system." They all seem to me to be sub par, although I haven't really looked at them in a few years due to not needing one.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The subtle irony that mine is an HP laptop....

Ultimately though, how much airflow are you going to get in a space 1cm thick?

mine is technically an ultrabook and I have excluded the screen from the 1cm measurement. I do have the advantage of a low voltage processor though, 1.8ghz dual core ivy bridge i3, hyperthreading and HD4000 iGPU.

7. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

+ 1 it an hp too and the cooling is pretty good a friend gave it to me wont go over 70c at full blast even if i try to with p95 and blocking the fan.

I had a lenovo with dead fan for 2 weak. working and playing league of legend Friend laptop

Put a new fan in and it still going strong.

Msi Gt and alienware and Clevo laptop are the only laptop on the market i would trust on cooling and performance.

* alienware is currently doing some crappy laptop this years but normally they are good.

Asus are crap because you cant upgrade them and open them easily anyways

8. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

If it's all open made out of a mesh like material airflow would be way up. Although durability would go down but I'd be willing to sacrifice some durability in the name of air flow. Most laptops are comparable to the 360 in terms of openness, if more space was devoted to being open for cooling it would be better imo. Less plastic more open.

Also I loled pretty good at you having an HP.

I've never had good luck with anything HP, two or three of their desktops died on me, the laptop that idled at 70 and a printer that the only way to update the drivers to something that might work is to install HP's suite of trash. So yeah, HP = bad. lol.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

No issues with my £20 HP printer. No HP bloatware. Just plugged it in, windows identified it and fetched the driver automatically. Worked perfectly ever since on my laptop and tablet (also windows 8.1, USB otg adapter required).

You open the laptop up, you expose it to more dust and debris which can prove damaging to ESD sensitive hardware, such as a laptop.

Only issue my particular HP laptop has given me was the failed hard disk, a part which HP do not manufacture, it was a hitachi travelstar. Do not recommend hitachi drives, all of my (prematurely) failed hard disks have been hitachi, and there have been a few. Actually havent had one survive 2 years yet. I dont abuse them, like this laptop has never been slammed or dropped, even when powered off. Oh and the battery is nearly toast after 2 years of not giving it the proper discharge cycle each time anyway so kinda my fault, design capacity of 37kwh, current capacity of 9kwh.

10. drdjworks

drdjworks
    Expand Collapse

Desktops for life.

11. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

Well a laptop Desktop replacement like msi gt72 would probably last as long as a desktop :p

12. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I have a Precision M4400. It's an older laptop but it was a very high end laptop of its day, and quality wise it beats most HP/Toshiba/whatever laptops that cost $400+ more than I paid for it. Battery still holds 80% of it's original capacity after 6 YEARS. It has an SSD in it and it's my baby. Gaming performance is pretty lackluster, but it works for light 1920x1200 gaming and Netflixing. Better than any Intel GPU anyway.

As for printers, I have an old HP printer that I paid like $7 for years ago. It's one of those huge all in ones with a card reader, screen, scanner, takes like 7 ink carts etc. The scanner doesn't actually work but it does print double sided just fine. (And I have extra ink for it.) I haven't plugged it in in a long time as I haven't needed a printer, but it's there if I need it. It's old enough to have network capability, but without Wifi built in.

13. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

My printer does that as well but it doesn't get the most up to date driver and every time I print it says "printing 3/1 pages" or some number larger than the actual number of pages to be printed. Now however it will just error and I have to shut the spooler and jump through hoops to clear it and it will just do it again if i try to print and the only way to get my specific driver from HP is to install all their crap. Even their support forums are useless.

As for dust in a laptop it can't be more damaging than dust in a desktop PC. My desktop is fairly open and gets a decent bit of dust but doesn't have any issues. Just gotta get in the habit of cleaning it out more often.

14. Kw433 (Kevin W)

Kw433 (Kevin W)
    Expand Collapse

The Asus has a CPU socket as well. But I get less FPS than the Acer because the graphic card is crap. But I can upgrade that as well. They are very similar...

- - - Updated - - -

I already have BeamNG.drive and doesn't runs bad with low graphics and a detailed map such as Port or Small island... Remember that this laptop has done his work with no problem from 2008 and it still doesnt want to die. It had trojans in the past, also a lot of malwares because of a "free download" website.
    RoR laggs rarely. The FPS is always near 40-50 on an MV4s. ON the Tatra Koloss 8x8 I get 14 FPS on Polder Island, max settings.
    It is not crap at all.
    The problems that had were coming from viruses.

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Can confirm; my 2010 HP/Compaq has been all over the world and just won't die, which is almost annoying since I kinda want to upgrade but have no reason to, though the bright blue electrical tape holding it together draws some looks at uni, haha.

My current hard drive is a 2005 120GB Travelstar from an old Vaio, ~9500 hour uptime... Did you get nothing but bad batches, or did I get lucky? ;)

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Think you got lucky.

Quite a few very specific models of macbooks have had hard drive failure complaints. Coincidentally, travelstar equipped....

17. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Please stay on topic and/or open a new thread for unrelated things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice