On Hold Industrial Site - Jump Derby 1.0.5

Six cars + lots of jumps = mayhem

1. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Depends on what you understand as "easy". Open the prefab file in a text editor, find the opponent objects you want to delete, delete them, then delete them from the Lua script too.

2. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Hey, Scepheo. I just want you to know that, despite how much people are asking you to edit or do more with your scenarios/mods, it's not that they're not good enough. They're awesome, and I'm sure you know that. We just are excited to see more, and we're all quite lazy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smithy2997

Smithy2997
    Expand Collapse

I expected it would be something like this, I tried using the level editor but that didn't work. I'll see if I can get this to work at some point soon. It's a great bit of fun though, even if my hardware can't quite handle it.

4. bits&bytes

bits&bytes
    Expand Collapse

Here is a version with 4 semi stripped rally Covets.

I used Notepad++ to change the .lua and .prefab files.
    Opponent 4 and 5 (the green and orange one) are commented out.
    I also changed the starting position of opponent 3 (the pink one) and replaced it by the starting position of opponent 5. And I changed the color of opponent 3 because I didn’t liked the pink.

If you don’t like the stripped rally configuration, then all you have to do is removing the // form the first partConfig line and place it before the second partConfig line (do this for every opponent and scenario_player0). Then you have the original car configuration.

Also those semi stripped cars look better with the dirt texture enabled. As far as I know, it is not possible to include this into the scenario files.
    This can be easily done by changing the materials.cs file which can be found into Steam\SteamApps\common\BeamNg.drive\content\hatch.zip.
    Uncomment line 13, diffuseMap[3] = "vehicles/hatch/hatch_dirt.dds";
    Uncomment line 27, diffuseColor[3] = "1.5 1.5 1.5 1";
    I changed the diffuseColor[3] to "1.5 1.5 1.0 1" for a more yellowish dirt texture.

Something off topic, I noticed several times that when removing the glass from the (rally) Covet, the front side windows and back window are staying. I don’t know if this is a bug or just a problem with my version of the game.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

The glass that remains is part of the doors and the hatch.

6. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Scepheo updated Jump Derby with a new update entry:

Update 1.0.5

Read the rest of this update entry...
    --- Post updated ---
    Update:

Update 0.5.2 made changes to the AI that broke the racing script. The mod will be updated once I figure out how to fix this.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Take a look at the scenariohelper.lua, it has the ability to let you define custom AI routes which it will then run through.
    Usage is something like this:
    Code:
    local scenariohelper = require('scenariohelper')
    scenariohelper.init()
    scenariohelper.setAiMode(nameOfCar, 'manual')
    scenariohelper.setAiAggression(nameOfCar, 1.2)
    scenariohelper.setAiRoute(nameOfCar, {"wp1", "wp2", "wp3", "wp4", "wp5", "wp6", "wp7", "hr_start", "wp9"})
    and then

Code:
    local function onRaceTick(raceTickTime)
        scenariohelper.update(raceTickTime)
    end
    Feel free to give me some feedback on that little helper, happy to implement additional things. :)

8. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

I've only stumbled across this post now, that's really useful. I'll have a look at that, it should make the racing AI a lot simpler and better. I'll let you know how it goes.
    --- Post updated ---
    All right, I've had a look at the script: it really cleans up my racing code, as most of the logic can now be handled by the scenario helper. Problem is, that suffers from the exact same issues that my own racing script does:
    • The AI just doesn't listen: using ai.setTarget gives the AI a waypoint to drive towards, but stop waaay before actually reaching it. This means that the switchWaypointThreshold needs to be really high, which leads me to the next point:
    • Using a combination of distance-to-waypoint and ai.setTarget: in many cases, there simply is no good distance threshold: too low, and it stops driving before the next waypoint is triggered, too high, and it'll get triggered too soon and the AI will start taking shortcuts.
    The only real solution I see for this is to put the "set route" logic on the AI script itself: that way the AI could immediately determine the (node-based) route that passes all the given points and follow that, instead of constantly having to switch routes. I've implemented this by making the necessary changes to the AI script, so I can confirm that it works really well (and makes the AI a far better opponent). Unfortunately, overwriting the AI script isn't something I can do in a mod...
    --- Post updated ---
    Update:
    After some conversing with the developers, I now believe that I must have had some small local change that caused the AI issues consistently, which, combined with a user reporting it, led me to conclude it was a consistent issue for everyone.

However, it turns out the AI works reasonably okay most of the time, so I'm setting this scenario back to released. I will be working on an update to improve the AI behaviour from now on, though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RecklessPancake

RecklessPancake
    Expand Collapse

Hey Scepheo - looks like a real fun scenario! I just tried it now and the cars stop on the first checkpoint :/ Any update on the status?

EDIT: Actually, it looks like a number of scenarios that use your AI script aren't working for me. Did 0.8 cause an issue with the script?

#49 RecklessPancake, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  10. VolticDragon

VolticDragon
    Expand Collapse

I believe so, as that update broke a lot of mods, including addon cars and scenarios. Although this one and the other derby scenario would break regularly on updates.

11. RecklessPancake

RecklessPancake
    Expand Collapse

That's a shame, because so many of the scenarios with races use this script. I hope Scepheo sees this soon and is able to fix it! We believe in you man!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice