Independent rear Suspension: D-series, H-series, Roamer, Pickup, Van, SUV

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Divepunk, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Xupaun

Xupaun
    Expand Collapse

The Jbeam files should be on this directory: Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\repo\pickup_IRS.zip\vehicles\common\pickup\

2. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'll get that fixed and repost it.
    --- Post updated ---
    @Xupaun

3. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

did you fix it?

4. Xupaun

Xupaun
    Expand Collapse

You can open it and fix by yourself. It's really easy and you won't need to wait for the fix

5. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

ok, thanks for the tip lol

6. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

@Xupaun @SuperShep1 repacked it. I even checked it works first haha. I am aware of the textures not working on the race coils so they show up all orange. working on fixing that.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Divepunk

Divepunk
    Expand Collapse

Well, the suspension works great! Though there is no off-road variant, like with the front. I'm not complaining mind you, just my main aim was to make an agile and smooth speedy off-road racer of sorts among other things.

All things considered, it's more then I expected to see even if it seems surprising to an extent it hasn't been attempted before it's still amazing to see IRS done and nice looking too and it's performance as it currently is if your looking to make a street racing pickup, or a light off-roader is pretty good.

Pros: It looks good.
    Drives well.
    Handles bumps and uneven terrain smoothly.
    Takes corners well.
    It's fun to watch the IRS squat under heavy acceleration.
    Makes the vehicle more stable on multiple terrains.

Cons: Excessively noisy.
    Many if not all of the Coilovers are lower then the front variants.

Really it's quite good. you did well for the very first rear suspension of it's kind on the D-series.

As it is I'd give it to 4 out of 5 stars. It has some minor issues, and only one suspension variant. though. Admittedly I was not specific with the off-road aspect like I was in my old thread about this in which I mentioned Trophy Trucks(which come to think of it don't even have IRS, that was something I thought they did, and did no research at the time). So yeah my bad that's why it is up to 4 as is.

All things considered even as is if the different heights between the rear and front coils are worked out I'm relatively content with the mod. Thus far I've modified a military pickup with a Gavril 451CUI V8(mock-up of the famous 454 LS6 from 1970, only produced by Gavril for one of their Muscle cars in BeamNG, and reproduced for the 1995 year of the D-series), Independent suspension front and rear, like a Humvee only it's a pickup with raised suspension height. Been fun driving with the new suspension.

Thank you very much for making it. Now back to driving my truck!

#47 Divepunk, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  8. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

@Divepunk off-road version is almost done. Just working on toe and camber issue. Also the in game tuning of the off-road version is currently off. Working with the knowledge I have.

I will fix the height differences possibly this weekend.
    I will have to look into the volume issue.

I am planning to start a long travel rear suspension like the image you posted in original thread. Might be a while before that is done due to completely modeling it from nothing.

Glad you like it all together
    (Try the lowered coils with the 44"tires it is unstoppable on hill climbs. Almost made it to the complete top of the island.)

9. Reece Coates

Reece Coates
    Expand Collapse

Hey, are you planning on making this for the other frame lengths?
    Edit: Just realized that all the frames use the same rear suspension so this would work on all of them. Haven't had time to try this yet XD. It would be interestingif you used the same concept to build IRS for the prerunner.

10. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

@Reece Coates I am slowly working towards the prerunner suspension. Learning as I go, I am hoping to increase the quality of the mods as well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

here is updated IRS mod.
    -Rear height adjusted.
    -Volume adjusted (I have terrible speakers so let me know if its actually better.)
    Also added IRS Offroad, enjoy.
    screenshot_2021-03-22_17-40-10.png screenshot_2021-03-22_18-32-22.png screenshot_2021-03-22_17-40-29.png screenshot_2021-03-22_18-32-39.png screenshot_2021-03-22_18-28-15.png screenshot_2021-03-22_18-29-12.png

Attached Files:

12. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

13. Xupaun

Xupaun
    Expand Collapse

Actually, if it was on the common folder, you always could use it on the Roamer.

14. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

15. Divepunk

Divepunk
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'll be testing it out as soon as I get some questing done in WoW.

Then I'll give my feedback.

16. Divepunk

Divepunk
    Expand Collapse

It handles well, I think the durability is seems there with the off-road one. I like it esp for the first of it's kind.
    Takes bumps like a champ,

Roving around "Feel The Bumps" mod map. using the suspension testing speed bumps.My Ford Raptor-esque D-15(save for the fact that it uses IRS rather than SRA) does quite well maintaining control with off-road IS all around. Minimal steering input required to keep straight even with the suspension under constant increasing buffeting as speed increases. So far so good, though not sure if it needs any added durability.

The Off-road IRS is oddly wide even at the lowest track width.
    I might also say initial stiffness is a bit high, it's because it's using the same values as the IFS only there's no engine to support. I was able to change that by adjusting the spring strength down a bit. Might want the spring strength as it is though, as it can allow to make an off-road tow rig with heavy duty like IRS to cope with heavy cargo/ trailers. Or perhaps broaden the adjustment range in case someone wants to make a very soft off-road suspension, or decide to make it stiff for towing with the same suspension parts.

Now with the standard IRS,
    The base coilovers work well but might be slightly to soft.
    The mediums might be about right I'm not sure if they are too stiff or not.
    The Heavies I cannot test as they have some extreme camber issue and do not function properly.
    The Lowered seem a bit too soft.
    The rest seem pretty go as far as stiffness.
    Every suspension does suffer from having to wide of offset even at the minimum (minimum looks to be where the default setting should be).

Also add some strength to all IRS if possible, seeing as it's a rear suspension of a pickup, and it needs to be strong.

I might add more feedback as I use the IRS's more,
    so far I'm happy to see them improve as they have already.
    Keep up the fine tuning!

Anyway I may make another comment as I do more driving with the IRS.

17. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feed back. I will check into the camber on the heavy coils. And match up the spring settings with the factory set rears. If you can let me know what tends to break too early I will fix it. I still have a little modeling to adjust. As far as the offset issue goes, I am currently working on that. I don't want to loose travel and I don't want to alter the frames so I have to do a lot of remodeling.

Feedback = better product. Keep it coming.

18. jeff2132234

jeff2132234
    Expand Collapse

yes yes i would lol thanks

19. Lucas Mess

Lucas Mess
    Expand Collapse

@Divepunk and anyone else following this. To fix the camber and offset issue I have had to create a completely new model. This image is what I am aiming to replicate. I will also send photos of my progress tonight. Screenshot_20210320-055109.png

• Like Like x 2
  20. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

i do have a question.
    is rear-wheel steering feasible? i think it would be great for track racing and crawling

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice