If you Smell smoke around Your rig be Worried!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by luckyman, Feb 6, 2017.

1. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

If you are around your pc and you can smell smoke, immediately check your rig, the night of Feburary 5th 2017, I should've lost my rig but I was lucky. My Power supply blew at 11:30PM, and I was lucky enough to get a spare corsair GS600 which replaced my Xion 600 watt, I ignored the signs of my PSU failling and all i know was it smelled like smoke, 2 minutes later a loud pop. A mini explosion was enough to knock off a blade from the PSU. I should've known it was going to happen as I earlier in the week cleaned out my PSU because it was getting just a little too hot. So please be warned! My PC is alive but next time I may not be so lucky.

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

"Xion 600 watt"

And this everyone is why you don't but shitty $15 power supplies from china.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Go Corsair they are much higher quality....enough said...

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

EVGA, Antec, Seasonic, and Silverstone are also good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I have a Phoenix Envy, and it has lights on the side to tell you the temperature of the computer.

:cool: I never have to worry about overheating...

Macbook Air's have an indicator for overheating too. The "T" key gets hot. But you want the "T" key hot, because macs suck.

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I agree with you there Corsair is the one I trust with PSUs and Memory and also CPU cooling but thanks for bringing the others there to my attention :)

7. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

My old 600 watt was probably pulled of another PC, because i purchased this off a yard sale site, it has a fairly good GPU just i need to upgrade the Cpu from a 8200 to a I5 if I can ever get the money. Do love my new corsair tho. Its quiet and well doesn't heat up. The other PSU died from dust most likely as it was built up.

8. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I was working on an old computer with one of my mates, think it had a Core 2 Duo in it. We were swapping parts into another case, when we decided to boot it up it went bang and started smoking. He was a bit cross and I thought it was kinda funny. PSU was some Antec 430w or thereabouts.

9. InFiNiTy

InFiNiTy
    Expand Collapse

xD

Did you really expecting better stuff from a, what we call in germany "China banger"?

BeQuiet, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, some Enermax and some Silverstone. Even FSP Fortron is okay. And that is the way to go with.

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

*BOOK* warning...

Do you research in PC power supplies. Find a brand that works with your PC configuration at a price that's reasonable to you.
    Prices mentioned in US-Dollars so hop on currency converters and do your legwork there if you're not North-American/US (lucky you).

Find something with OVP/OCP/etc ratings on it (over-voltage protection, overcurrent protection, surge/inrush current protection, etc) first and foremost, for your WHOLE PC is connected to it. Why skimp here? Do you put cheap tires on your high-performance NASCAR wannabe-racer?
    EVGA is CHEAP but decent, you can score these for 25~30$ - so if you have a limited budget, stop reading now and get on Amazon and hunt one down. Much better than XION... Don't paper-clip test cheap power supplies unless you have a very thin paper clip, or you'll spread the female connectors in lesser-grade PSUs, if you do, short the green ATX 24-pin connection to one of the black ones on the same sleeve with care.
    You can power-on test it this way, most will fire right up, but if you get fireworks at this point, you know to send it back before you kill anything.
    AVOID brands like XION, SPARKLE (the cheap ones = rubbish from China, the server ones are solid and can be trusted to run 5~8 years+), and many others. If it doesn't weigh anything, there's not much to it, and it's not to be trusted.
    PC Power and coolering is getting an honorable mention here, they're pretty good. Many DELTA units are pretty good too, not worlds-best, but I am sure it will put up with a lot of Beamng.drive sessions.
    If you want the best of the best, Get a SEASONIC. Yup. Seasonic fanboy here. I've had a lot of supplies and nothing takes having the book thrown at it like a SeaSonic power supply. I don't consider myself a 'fanboy' but the power supply is one part of the PC that has so much affect on everything else in the PC and you're whole user-experience in general. I would sooner buy a good quality supply and be able to upgrade as much as I want later, without having to worry about it being the 4th of July inside my PC tower I dropped well past 4-digits into the last 2~2.5 years. A good power supply company will stand behind the product they make, and it's nice having a good warranty on it. I will say where you get 2 years warranty on the cheap 4xx watt EVGA, you get a SEVEN year warranty on the Seasonic. You may have even had a SeaSonic PSU and not even known it, because they make many other brand's PSU's. Do your reading, find a few with a good price you feel is a good value and do your research. You will have a lot of fun Beamng.drive'ing if you do the proper leg-work.
    DON'T forgo connection your PC to ground with the proper connections to the wall outlet. In the USA this is your standard 3pin socket, that's been code since ATLEAST the early 90s (if you even have building codes in your area), using a 2-pin adapter would be rather dumb. It helps protect your PC, by giving surges an alternative exit-path. If you don't have the proper socket, move your PC or update the wall-outlet and run a proper ground.

If you can't afford a SeaSonic (they're expensive, but you get what you pay for!), or a PC Power and Cooling, look around, find something with solid reviews... but please, avoid the cheapies... and don't get your power supply from Staples if you live in the USA, the cheapies they carry are absolutely rubbish and I wouldn't trust to put one in my old 80s Nintendo (regardless of that being a 9v system IIRC).
    There's always a DEAL on something.

Sorry for the long post folks. I have been doing PC hardware since the mid 90s when the 486 reigned supreme.
    If you do have a fire, breathe in some CLEAN air and blow it out. Smother it with a shirt if you must (it may static things, better than house fire!!! - this coming from a guy who put out an oven fire with a sweater, and a car-engine fire with his t-shirt without getting scorched skin!!!) , or something. Yank plugs out as fast as possible, carry the PC outside, then assess the damage.
    Cheap power-supplies will take out the whole PC possibly when they fail. Spend the extra 20 bucks, and sleep better at night.
    Anandtech, guru3d, tweaktown, hardwarecanucks (spelled right?) and tomshardware all have good PSU reviews. Look them up and save yourself the time.

Think about it. 20 bucks extra now, or 500~2000$ and a new copy of OEM windows to replace all the stuff that failed later??? 200,000$ for your whole house because your cheap PC power supply burned it down?

Yes I have had PC fires. Sometimes when turning it on. Sometimes when backup-battery-units have failed with fireworks (boy do they act like a smoke-grenade)... sometimes old dimm memory combusting... VRMs on cheap MSI boards from friend's PC's spontaneously combusting (get an ASUS not an MSI)... I've never had a PC fire escape the parts it started on though. Learn from this and hopefully do not repeat history.

--Good luck. If any clarifications are needed, please ask. If you disagree with ANYTHING I said please do so in an adult manner and I'll cite more references. Yes, I am a SeaSonic fanboy, but I was skeptical until I tried. A good power supply is the best investment, just like a good motherboard. Those two things being great, you'll have a wonderful PC. Hey, I make Beamng.drive maps, this thing's gotta hold up so you guys can have a good time!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

holy. crap. wall of text. Thats kinda your thing isnt it? :p You rarely post anything other than text walls. I love it!

ONTOPIC
    Yea, i would just stick with the brands that were mentioned as good in this thread. Hard to kill them usually. Also, this reminds me of the time i decided to overclock my fx6100 with a gtx 660 on a like 350w el cheapo powersupply, what makes it worse is it was a mini powersupply, not standard atx size. Needless to say,i started smelling something so i shut it off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Even on a budget when I could've gone cheaper, I went evga. Even an 80+ white evga PSU is better than an 80+ bronze China version.

13. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

i have a better PSU now. Im just lucky my pc is even working, my other friend earlier this week before me had his PSU almost give out but his buds told him to go ahead and trash it.

14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm running Seasonic 460W fanless PSU, it is quite sensitive to power you get from your wall, here I'm at end of power line and PSU makes all kinds of noises depending what kind of loads other power line users are making.

Even I have UPS, this PSU can be even noisier than quiet fan equipped models, but when at night power cleans up, it is nice and quiet.

I did put low speed quiet fan to keep air moving in PSU just for extending life of it, hooked it up so it spins only when there is more power demand, that is when system temp gets higher.

It is so cold here especially at the mornings that I don't need any fans to spin, floor was barely above freezing and that is where computer vacuums dust.

15. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

You're doing it wrong. If there is unfiltered dust being sucked into your computer, you've got a problem.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I prefer to clean dust every now and then as those so called dust filters kill the airflow which means more fan noise that is worst enemy. Different is not necessarily wrong, it is different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice