1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to make mods?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Crispy06, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

So, I'm trying to make a mod *cough cough Dodge Durango cough cough* And I don't know how to port it over from blender into a .zip working car file. I also don't know how to put the textures on my car, but that is YouTube's job. Anyways, how do I do that? Also, how do I make different versions of the car?

Dodge Durango thread will be up soon.

2. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

3. IAchievedBacon

IAchievedBacon
    Expand Collapse

Don’t start with making a whole car. Start off with learning how to texture skins, then jbeam and modeling a part.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

I got the modelling down. I also know how to put on the textures. All I need is jbeaming and uploading it to beamng.

5. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Jbeams are more difficult than modeling and texturing, even if you modify one from an already existing car. Also, do you know how to add a functional drivetrain? That said, I fully encourage you to try, we always need more good mods.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

firstly, is the model in .dae format? if not, you'll need to go to file>export> in blender. secondly, you will need a JBeam to base it off. I would suggest going with either the etk 800 series, or the gavril roamer, the etk having more accurate construction type, rigidity and crash safety to a modern durango, and the roamer being of more accurate size and shape, despite being body on frame. after deciding, you'll need to make a new vehicle. make a file path that goes documents/beamng.drive/mods/unpacked/durango(or whatever you want the zip to be called)/vehicles/durango/, and then copy/ paste al the files from the vehicle you're using as a base other than .json, .pc, .png, .cs, .dae and .cdae files. (you may also want to copy some .dds texture files)
    After this, You'll want to open any text file in the "durango" folder in notepad++, and use the "find in files" function. @HighDef explained this well in a map making tutorial, but it's basically the same for cars. in your case, you would be changing every instance of "etk800" or "roamer" to "durango" (or whatever else you called the folders before) it is explained around the 15:19 mark in the below video:

after that, to make a basic "mesh slap" mod, the model has to be separated into parts. for an example of how this is done, import the .dae file of a stock vehicle into blender, and poke around with it. you will see, for example, the chassis and body will be separate in some vehicles, and the doors, seats, hood, fenders, fascia, all the glass etc. are all separate parts. and your model will need to be the same. (I have no idea what to do there, there's probably some fancy thing you can do.)
    once that is done, and all the parts are named accordingly (in the right side toolbar in blender) the JBeam files have to be edited so that the "flexbodies" section tells the game to load the mesh named, for examle, "durango_bumper_F" instead of "etk800_bumper_F". note that the first name on each line is the name of the mesh, and every other name after that on the same line is the referring to the JBeam groups which it follows the deformation of.
    note also that you may have to add or remove some lines if the durango model is separated into more parts, for example if the chrome front grille was a separate part to the bumper around it.
    at this point, you would have a "mesh slap" model, ready to go on modsgaming.us or whatever. now you just have to fiddle around with nodes, beams, and triangles, changing positions, weights and rigidity until it works well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    Game Design, QA and burnouts.
    BeamNG Team

I concur, the best way to get going would be to make something simple first to get a feel for how it all hooks up to the game. Something like an anti-roll bar for one of the vanilla cars would probably teach about beam rigidity pretty well.
    Perhaps make 2-3 car part mods and then go for an existing car jbeam morph to your model operation.
    I have only made engines and turbos for cars in BeamNG and they did not have their own models so I know the very basics of hooking it up.
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/real-life-automation-engine-conversions.1768/

I hope that you can get somewhere with it using this and the info in the posts above :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

blender is acting weird it wont let me import the textures.

9. iplaybeam

iplaybeam
    Expand Collapse

I need some answers, jbeam export = craptastic amount of nodes that I don't need, does anyone else have a better suggestion on making jbeam? (don't give me the link to the wiki, i used that)

10. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

nope, unless you can find a truck-shaped mod body in automation, and then export it.

11. iplaybeam

iplaybeam
    Expand Collapse

No not automation export, blender export.

12. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

as in to then use the truck-shaped jbeam which automation exports, and replace the automation meshes with the ones from ets.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

What for you would need to import textures to Blender? You don't really need to do such as Blender has not much to do with making textures appear, all that matters is that material name you see in Blender is written to mapTo line of materials.cs file in folder that contains your vehicle's .dae file.

@iplaybeam jbeam export is not automatic solution, you have to manually make jbeam structure in Blender first, which you export, you don't export 3d model and except it to be working jbeam, it is not meant to be used that way.

14. iplaybeam

iplaybeam
    Expand Collapse

oooooooooooooh. so thats means I have to make a low poly version of my model then use the export as a base for the jbeam. Time to blow off 72 hours trying it.

15. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

It's quite a bit more complicated than that. Check the content creation section of the wiki, there are good explanations about how jbeam structures work in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice