Unsolved how to make custom color appear in "factory" colors label in color selector?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by driftbox, Jul 1, 2021.

1. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

I want to make new color for palette (for my mod). How i can make it?

2. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

If you mean adding a fourth color selector slot in the vehicle editor, I think it's physically impossible with the current way textures are done in-game... I could be wrong though.

3. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

I mean adding new color to selector. Like red, blue or pink. ( sorry for my English)

• Like Like x 1
  4. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

Ah, well... If you have a recent enough version of the game, you should be able to simply use the vehicle editor in-game and make a color to your liking and save it as a preset color.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.Ali.M

S.Ali.M
    Expand Collapse

If he do it, the color will able on his computer only. But he said: "for my mod" so I think he made a new car and wants to add default colors to it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

i want to add colors only for vanilla cars. And i don't want to add vanilla colors. I want to add custom colors (make custom color in-game, save it and make it visible in stock colors palette.)

7. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it seems like you should just be able to use the in-game vehicle editor to save your preset color... I don't know if that makes it available for all vehicles though.

8. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. But if i save it in-game it appear in "custom" Label. But i want to make it appear in label with vanilla colors. And i want to make it work in my mod (i want to have files of colors in my mod zip to make this colors mod content).

9. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

OOoooOKAaaaAYYyyyy I think I get it now lol.

That'll be in "vehicles/yourvehicle" (obviously, "yourvehicle" is whatever vehicle you want the colors for... so let's say "pickup")

It'll be "BeamNG.drive-version.12345/content/vehicles/pickup". "pickup" is a .zip in this case, so you'll obviously need a .zip opener like winRAR.

Inside "pickup.zip" are folders "vehicles/pickup," inside the "pickup" folder are all the files that comprise the pickup. The file that contains the vanilla
    colors is called "info.json". You'll just need any old text editor such as notepad or notepad++. Once you have that file I'm still not 100% sure how to
    add more vanilla colors without overriding the existing ones, but it's at least a start.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to copy the "info.json" into all the vehicles you want to add your colors to. Then go into the copied "info.json" and erase all
    the colors you don't want to overwrite, then add the colors you want to add, following this syntax: (hopefully the image will actually show up...)
    Capture.png
    Make sure you close every opened bracket and don't miss any commas. I was fighting a custom skin for a solid week trying to figure out why it wouldn't work... I finally figured out that I had missed a single comma... It works perfectly now.

Anyway, I hope this helps. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

Okay thanks. But do you know where saved custom colors data is stored?

11. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

Probably in your "My Documents/BeamNG.drive" but I actually don't know.

12. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

sadly it dosen't work or im doing something wrong

13. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I've been kind of absent lately. I don't EXACTLY understand what it is you're trying to do, I get the general idea, but I don't have details. It makes it a little difficult to help. lol

14. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

oh okay. If you still don't understand. I wanted to make my custom colors appear here. Sorry for my English but its my first time talking about colors lol
    upload_2021-8-2_19-27-41.png

15. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

This requires overwriting game files so it's not allowed to make it a mod for the repo

16. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

oh okay :(

17. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

I was really hoping Agent_Y was wrong, so I tried out what I was thinking of. I made my own "info.json" and put together a little mod. Unfortunately, when I removed all the vanilla preset colors from the list and added my own, it didn't avoid overwriting them, my "info.json" simply overwrote the entire vanilla "info.json" and the ONLY color in the selector was the one I made for my "mod" test. I was really hoping that would work, but oh well.... R.I.P.

I would've taken screenshots to show what I mean, but what's the point screenshotting something that didn't work? lol
    Sorry I couldn't help.

#17 oioioioo, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  18. driftbox

driftbox
    Expand Collapse

its okay. Im only asking because i still don't know lot of things in modding

19. oioioioo

oioioioo
    Expand Collapse

Something you could do is copy the vanilla "info.json" but instead of erasing the vanilla colors from the list, simply add your custom colors to the bottom of the existing list. It would still overwrite the vanilla "info.json" making the mod non-repo-friendly, but it wouldn't totally remove the vanilla colors as mine did, and you could release it on the forums (I think).

Good luck in your future modding endeavors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice