How to Make a Non-Synchromesh Gearbox

Discussion in 'Programming' started by DriftinCovet1987, Mar 23, 2020.

1. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Hi, it's me again.

Here's a quick TL;DR: How do I prevent a transmission from shifting until it reaches a certain RPM?

I've been trying to make a non-synchromesh (or "straight-cut") gearbox for the Autobello recently. Currently I have it simulated quite nicely by having the TransmissionShiftDelay turned up to 1.4 seconds and the flywheel weight turned up to 12.5 kilograms.

It's getting me about 80% there - especially since I've copied the race transmission's gear whine to my 4-speed non-synchromesh transmission. When I shift at 4,000 RPM, the engine gradually loses revs until it shifts at 3,000 RPM - pretty much how a straight-cut transmission acts.

Unfortunately, the ~20% that's wrong is a lot harder to simulate. I want to try and prevent people from shifting until they reach a certain RPM - and if they shift at the wrong RPM, they'll grind the gears. You know, how a straight-cut should act. But my transmission currently doesn't allow for that. I still can shift at any RPM I want, and the Autobello engine revs really slowly - preventing my straight-cut transmission from being used for proper racing.

I know this was done before with @Miura's Auriga Heron mod way back in the 0.5 days, but the game's changed significantly since then. Is a straight-cut transmission still possible with post-0.8 code? If it is (and it's easy enough to create), the T-Series will be getting this treatment next.

Attached Files:

2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hmm let me think on this for little while before I respond, I might have an idea.. (I'm NOT promising though) :)

3. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm...if your idea doesn't work, I could just go around doing what I did with the Autobelli transmission to all the manuals in the game.

4. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I'm quite busy with my mod atm but I was thinking about this in between. I haven't looked at your jbeam or so and I'm
    just thinking out loud now. If I want code to work I try to come up with the most easy, even ridiculously simplest way
    possible and if that doesn't work then build it up gradually to more complexity until success.

Ok, so when the revs don't match we don't want the gearbox to shift at all but still want the grinding sound right ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice