How To Make A BeaMNG.Drive Montage!

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by HockeySnipe16, Sep 20, 2015.

1. HockeySnipe16

HockeySnipe16
    Expand Collapse

How To Make A BeamNG.Drive Montage

In this tutorial, I will be giving you an in depth walkthrough of how to make a BeamNG.Drive montage. I will walk you through the different steps required to make a BeamNG.Drive montage, and I will also be telling you various tips and tricks to make your montage looking really good.

Making a BeamNG.Drive montage can be very tricky at first, but when you get the hang of it you will find it quite easy.

Step 1: Thinking of a good clip. Try to think of something that will be entertaining to watch. Don't just get a boring crash that no one will want to watch. For this tutorial, we will be setting up a police chase scene.

Step 2: Finding your ideal map. For a police chase, you probably want something that is open with little to no turns on it. Riverside Expressway is a good map. Open up the map and start setting up.

BeamNG.drive_.x86-2014-05-31-03-37-10-169[1].jpg
    This is the map Riverside Expressway. A perfect highyway for a police chase.

Step 3: Setting up the scene. You want to make sure that you set up a decent scene. If you are doing a police chase, you obviously don't want to have a beaten up junk car as your police car. You are going to want a police car. Once you set up the "bag guy," and the police car, you are ready to start the police chase.

Step 4: Setting up the AI. You want to make sure you start with your player control on the "bad guy." When you have him selected (hit TAB to switch between them), start driving straight forward. (Riverside Expressway doesn't have what they call nodes so you can't set a path for the AI.) While driving straight forward hit TAB (while holding the drive key) and your car will keep going straight. Make sure you hit CTRL + U to go into photo mode. Then just simply exit out of photo mode. I will explain why later. Then reset the cars and start the scene.

Step 5: Recording. Congratulations! You have set up the scene for your police chase. Now it's time to record! Find a camera angle that you like for your car (hit C to switch between them), and start recording. Chase the other car until the other car or your car starts crashing. Right before your car crashes, hit J (pauses physics/pauses the game) and your recording hotkey at the same time. This will stop the recording and the crash at the same time so you can get that perfect angle. Just hit SHIFT + C to go into freecam mode.

Step 6: Camera Speed.. Now you get to make all of those cool camera angles you have always wanted! Earlier, I told you to go into photo mode. This is to make your camera movements much smoother. Without going into photo mode, you will be stuck with a really fast moving camera that is very jerky. If you went into photo mode, the game slows down the camera so you have a smooth camera instead of a jerky one. If you are experimental, you can edit the speed of your camera even more by hitting F11. This will bring you into the world editor. There will be a bar at the top of the screen. One of the options reads "Camera Speed." You can experiment with that to find the ideal speed for you.

Tutorial.png
    Here you see where the camera speed option is located.

Step 7: Camera Angles. Now you are ready for the camera angles! Exit the world editor (hit F11 again). Then you want to hit ESC (it will open up the tool bar) and click on the option that looks like a little beetle. This will bring up the general debug menu. Scroll down to the bottom where it says "effects." There should be an option for Field Of View. Set that anywhere from 10 to 40. I prefer 10 to 20 personally. This will make your camera look much better.

Tutorial2.png
    This shows the Field Of View option.

Tutorial3.png
    Before the FOV effect.

Tutorial4.png
    After FOV effect. NOTE: I did not move the camera at all after the FOV effect. For this example, I use 10.

Step 8: Recording more clips. Now you can record the next clip! Just find a good spot, unpause physics (hit the J key again), and start the recording at the same time. Once the cars move off the screen or the clip has gone on long enough, you can stop the recording and physics (at the same time of course), and move to the different location. Once the whole scene is over, you just need to edit the various clips together using whatever editing software, and add some effects. Then you should be done! Do this for all of your clips and you will have yourself a nice montage!

NOTE: Most of your clips will be different! Don't expect them to all look the same!

Step 9: YouTube Time! Now you are ready to upload to your YouTube channel!

OPTIONAL:
    I advise making a custom thumbnail for your videos. This is up to you though.

Congratulations! You have successfully made your first clip! Keep working hard and you will have a great montage. Don't expect your first one to be the best though! It takes time and practice to get your montages looking good.

Here is my video:

Here is my latest montage!

If you have any other tips for beginner montage makers or any kind of addition to this at all, be sure to leave a comment down below. If you have any questions, either PM me or leave a comment below.

I hope this helped some of you!

#1 HockeySnipe16, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. defib

defib
    Expand Collapse

Nice. I'm not a big video maker, but I'm sure this will help lots of people.

3. HockeySnipe16

HockeySnipe16
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I hope so! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice