How to create roads as smooth as are in the default maps?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by SgtSpike, Sep 19, 2013.

1. SgtSpike

SgtSpike
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to create roads on a user-created map, but even with flattening and smoothing, they just aren't turning out great. They're bumpy, and I can't reach more than 40 or 50 mph on them without losing control. Any tips for creating smoother roads? I wish we could use road meshes, because that's exactly what I'm going for.

The road is width 7, and I've been using width 8 for flattening and smoothing. Other than that, I've been leaving all the other settings at default. Should I change any of them?

2. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

Try Exact height around your road, That might help it

3. SgtSpike

SgtSpike
    Expand Collapse

I would, but most of the road is changing elevations. :(

4. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

I had pretty good results with following workflow:
    1. Flatten tool on 100% pressure once around the track/road
    2. Smooth Slope on 40% or less pressure, click and hold while following the road the first time
    3. Smooth Slope on 40% or less, click and release without moving the mouse/coursor to get it really smooth

Number 3 (click&release without moving) needs alot of clicking but can get you more smooth than drag and pull in my experience.

Beside that, one ugly workaround could be to use the terrain - smooth heigthmap function from the top bar menu, makes you loose some map detail but does a good job at smoothing edges.

good luck

5. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice