Cancelled Hondune Rock Crawler

Discussion in 'Land' started by Hondune, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

Yup thats the plan, and needed for various options (rear wheel steering or not, different suspension set ups for baja or crawling, ect.) Not to mention that hideous frame deformation with the suspension :p

This is great though, cant wait to finally get on with this project, thanks a ton!

2. frostmaster21

frostmaster21
    Expand Collapse

So, can you give us of what is in progress, what needs to be done and what's finished?
    just in a nutshell.

3. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

Flexbodies are all finished now. which means node groups are all complete ect. and i finally after creating this thing ages ago get to see the suspension in motion, its pretty neat!

There are still some bits missing, all the props (steering wheel, spedometer, drive shafts, steering hydraulics). Props are a nightmare in my opinion, i much much preferred how they were handled in RoR. It seams nearly impossible to use props for shocks, suspension links, ect. with this new way of doing it. And because of that youre forced to use flexbodies, which leads to horribly ugly deformation of all your links and suspension parts, and leaves no real way to do hydraulic arms without it looking terrible. Unless im missing something here, which i might be.

Whats left to do is tuning the jbeam ( and it needs LOTS of it)
    adding the props and having them animate correctly
    Tuning the engine settings (they hardly work at the moment)
    and setting up the lights
    and likely lots of other little things im not thinking of, as well as just general improvements.

Here it is in its current state

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00001.jpg
    • screenshot_00002.jpg
    • screenshot_00003.jpg
    • screenshot_00004.jpg
  4. frostmaster21

frostmaster21
    Expand Collapse

this is lookin great, I like how the tire flexes for some reason, I looks heaps better than some of gabes models. don't know what you did but or how you did it, but keep it up. it seems like a while until a beta release still.

5. wtiger

wtiger
    Expand Collapse

Very nice looking vehicle. Thank you for all your time spent on this and I'm looking forward to watching it continue to progress.

6. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Now that is a sexy beast

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

How and why did I not know about this? Awesome.

8. bootboss

bootboss
    Expand Collapse

This is awesome and will replace the Helljeep as My favorite vehicle.

9. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

Uhh, I begged the devs a while ago to implement RoR like props. they recently added them. I'll have to check my files for the line.
    It requires the experimental BeamNG version tho (from steam).

10. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

psh, im always on experimental :p thats great news though! that will make this much better. Im not a fan of the bizarre distorting links... especially when a lot of rotation is involved things get really funky.

Also small update. Ive spent the last couple times working on it just making the node beam stable (what a bloody chore that is). But its now nice and solid, with more realistic weights, and seams to be completely stable. I also got the shocks working better, eliminated some body roll, and fixed some various canti-lever induced bugs (with some cheaty hidden shocks, but shh, no one has to know)

Edit: also ive got another issue if anyone can help. I dont seam to have any brakes, and the engine has some weird behavior i assume relating to that. I know hubwheels have the propulsion setting, but no brake setting i can see.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00005.png
    • screenshot_00006.png
    #90 Hondune, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  11. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

sorry it took me a while to find the files because my pc is toasted (lightning, not fun) but here it is:

["rpm", "Prop name", "ref node","X ref node","Y ref node", {"x":0, "y":0, "z":0}, {"x":0, "y":0, "z":0} , {"x":0, "y":0, "z":0}, 0, 0, 0, 1, {"baseTranslation":{"x":0, "y":0, "z":0}}],

Doesnt matter what variable you put this at, rpm ftw.
    Origin in your modeler; same as RoR
    Same as RoR
    Same as RoR

12. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

I got some time to finally work on this some more. Its nearly complete now other than a couple issues i cant figure out, and a couple props i just havent placed yet due to laziness.

Ive gotten the motor/transmission set up and added the new pressure wheels. It crawls extremely well now, and the new pressure wheels are absolutely fantastic for it. Has nice low tire pressure with absolutely no wheel folding or breaking, i love it! the jbeam is now complete with stable values. Its very strong as it should be, but not indestructible either. It will bend and break from what i feel is realistic amounts of stress. Also the materials are set up correctly so you can change the color of the frame with the color selector now.

i do have a couple issues though that i can not seam to figure out, if anyone could help that would be fantastic:
    1. I still have no brakes. It doesnt seam to be related to the engine, as the whole thing has been reworked, and i used various other vehicles engines in testing and the problem persisted. While in reverse hitting the throttle does nothing until the vehicle has come to a complete stop.
    2. I can not seam to get any sort of reflections working, real time or cube map. My materials.cs is nearly identical to the ones used by the default vehicles other than the file paths to my textures of coarse. everything works fine other than reflections. I have the dynamicCubemap = true; line, or alternatively for standard cubemap cubemap = "BNG_Sky_02_cubemap"; neither of these work. All values in the material.cs are the same as the default vehicles, my spec map is grey scale with more reflective areas closer to white, as ive done many times before.

Attached Files:

• 2015-04-04_00001.jpg
    • 2015-04-03_00001.jpg
    • 2015-04-03_00004.jpg
    • 2015-04-03_00003.jpg
  13. STICH666

STICH666
    Expand Collapse

Wow this thing looks amazing!

14. skogsvild

skogsvild
    Expand Collapse

Damn thats a nice crawler :cool:

15. Kinect

Kinect
    Expand Collapse

Where is your beamNG drive's badge? (IK it's an un-important question) Are you using tech demo? Sorry for bump.

16. kimonz

kimonz
    Expand Collapse

very cool!;)

17. Zoloon

Zoloon
    Expand Collapse

Colol car
    :)

18. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

Glad to see this project again! For reflections, just use an existing material with reflections and change the file names. It should look something like this:
    Code:
    singleton Material(datsun720_everything)    [COLOR=#a9a9a9] //change this to the material name
    [/COLOR]{
       mapTo = "datsun720_everything";    [COLOR=#a9a9a9] //change this to whatever you are mapping to[/COLOR]

diffuseMap[0] = "vehicles/common/null.dds";
       specularMap[0] = "vehicles/common/null.dds";
       normalMap[0] = "vehicles/Dk_81_720/ABC_81DatsunLT_Everything_n.dds";
       diffuseMap[1] = "vehicles/Dk_81_720/ABC_81DatsunLT_Everything_d.dds";
       specularMap[1] = "vehicles/Dk_81_720/ABC_81DatsunLT_Everything_s.dds";  
       normalMap[1] = "vehicles/Dk_81_720/ABC_81DatsunLT_Everything_n.dds";  
       diffuseMap[2] = "vehicles/Dk_81_720/ABC_81DatsunLT_Everything_c.dds";    [COLOR=#a9a9a9] //make sure your _c texture is in the top layer and nowhere else[/COLOR]
       diffuseColor[0] = "1 1 1 1";
       diffuseColor[1] = "0.5 0.5 0.5 1";     [COLOR=#a9a9a9]//don't diffuse a color on the _c layer[/COLOR]
       specularPower[0] = "50";
       specularPower[1] = "10";
       useAnisotropic[1] = "1";
       useAnisotropic[2] = "1";
       useAnisotropic[3] = "1";
       castShadows = "1";
       translucent = "1";
       translucentBlendOp = "None";
       alphaTest = "1";
       alphaRef = "0";
       doubleSided = "0";
       cubemap = "BNG_Sky_02_cubemap";
       beamngDiffuseColorSlot = 2;    [COLOR=#a9a9a9] //same slot as your _c texture to allow the color selector to work[/COLOR]
       materialTag0 = "beamng"; materialTag1 = "vehicle";  
    };
    Not sure if this helps at all.

19. Troutner

Troutner
    Expand Collapse

This thing looks AWESOME

20. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

Doesnt help unfortunately, thanks though! Its a bizarre problem. Though most of this project has been filled with those

21. legomania100

legomania100
    Expand Collapse

would it be too much to ask for some cool monster energy panels as parts? that would be so cool, but anyways keep up the amazing work! it looks badass already :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice