Outdated HellJeep custom bajajeep / crawler

Discussion in 'Land' started by Mythbuster, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dirt Bringer

Dirt Bringer
    Expand Collapse

It would be awesome to have a roll cage available for this thing, seriously. Every time I roll, game over. An original military version I could kick around would be pretty awesome too. In any case, awesome work, this one is a really good model.

2. LukeReed

LukeReed
    Expand Collapse

"CTRL+R"

3. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

(Terribly sorry if this has been brought up before and I just missed it.)
    I noticed when driving this thing in manual, the brakes kick out at low speeds. It kills rock crawling for it because you need to be able to stop and actually have it not move quite often.

Bug? Intentional?

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Bug, but there is nothing I can do about it(all the cars do it in manual). In 1st and 2nd, the gearing is so low that it doesn't press through the brakes without revving though, so it should be fine if you use those gears. It has to do with the way manuals and automatics are currently coded, and the way the brakes are coded. When the Race update comes out, the clutch gets pressed when holding it on the brake at low speed, so you can actually stop completely while in manual mode and in gear.

5. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Ah, lame. It does seem that the vanilla (is that word even used outside minecraft? :p ) cars can stop completely if I press the clutch in. But alright. I'll wait. That update can't come soon enough :D

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

I thought you meant the jeep crawling forward while pressing the brake in manual with auto-clutch mode. In full manual, when you press the clutch, the jeep should stop fine too? If you meant the brakes raising the suspension, maybe you're still using an older version of the jeep? As far as I know, I fixed that a while back.

7. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Oh, failure to communicate. Sorry.

I pull in the clutch (in any gear, in full manual mode), and pull the brakes. The wheels will lock up if you're moving a fair speed, but once you get down around maybe 5mph, the truck doesn't completely stop--it'll just keep rolling. Good test is put the truck on a decently steep downhill, pull in the clutch and brake and watch. It'll never stop completely. If you want, I can try to record up a small video and link you.

8. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

You're probably not in full manual mode. The clutch doesn't do anything in full auto or manual with auto clutch, cause that is indeed what I understood the first time :)

Either way, this is fixed once the race-update comes out. Currently there's nothing I can do about it.

9. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Just took a look and I do see what you're talking about in semi-manual (auto-clutch) mode. Imagine that same kind of movement, except with the drivetrain disengaged (still moving though). (and yes, I'm 100% certain I'm not in semi-manual) That's what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I just thought of a good proof. Put your truck on a downhill, park it, and remove the transfer case. Then try to use the brakes to completely stop.

#89 Cheesus_Christ, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, like I said, this'll be fixed once the race update comes out. There's nothing I can do.

Besides the point, but on this vehicle it shouldn't even be possible to use a manual clutch because there is no clutch. It's an automatic gearbox with a manual shifter added to it.

11. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

This thing can handle nearly any terrain! :)

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

If you need a brake for parking on hills, leaving it in gear sometimes helps, I actually use reverse gear + no throttle to slow myself rather effectively when crawling down hills (I also noticed the braking issue btw, stick the jeep in neutral entirely and it doesnt brake well at low speed for whatever reason, if race update fixes it then so be it).

Do you think it would be possible to get some eztra coilovers which aren't running in full droop for a bit of ground clearance? I know the idea is to have maximum flex which only a full droop setup can give reliably, its just sometimes I find the ground clearance is a bit low.

Apart from that, loving the mod, finally had a chance to play with it properly yesterday.

13. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Oh okay. Thanks! :)

(and you should add a clutch then, if it's easy enough to do. I won't drive in anything other than manual unless I have to :p )

14. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

How and why would/should I add a clutch on an automatic transmission??? It uses a torqueconverter, not a clutch... Please, read up on how an automatic works. You can put a manual shifter on them, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly a manual gearbox...

Automatics with a manual shifter are way more suitable for crawling than manual gearboxes. So no, I'm not gonna make a manual gearbox either.

15. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I meant no offense.

And I know how all the stuff works IRL, but didn't know how easy it would be to implement in the game.

16. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

It's not hard, it's just time consuming, because I'd have to model a manual transmission which I really don't want to do...

17. Cheesus_Christ

Cheesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Ah, okay. Don't bother then. :)

(that does actually bring up a good point though. The amount of detail you put into this thing amazes me. Nice job!)

18. messerschmitt1

messerschmitt1
    Expand Collapse

Is there a chance that someone could take this mod and convert it into a 1947 civilian Willys? It would basically involve changing suspension, skin, and giving it smaller tires. (At least that's what I think, there are probably some very small minute things too)

19. Matthew_Hughes

Matthew_Hughes
    Expand Collapse

if my understanding is correct then they are a couple of things that need doing. you also need to change the jbean so that it runs like a regulary jeep and not a heavily modified versions that this.

so the quick swap is not actually that quick.

if i am wrong then i will stand corrected.

20. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Lol... It would basically involve remaking the whole thing except the bodyshell. Trust me, JUST the body is from a Willys, and even that would require massive changes to bring it back to stock: Front fenders have to be lowered, gaps have to be filled back in, rear wheel arches need to be "un-cut" because they're radius cut for the big wheels. And on top of all that, the 1947 model is way different in body too compared to the 1942 ones: Fuel filler flap, grille, tailgate.

And yes, you would need to change the jbeam too.

Besides that, someone else was working on one, so unless it's someone I really trust to do a good job, I'd rather see people just wait for that instead of messing with mine...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice