Heightmap doesnt work

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leet34, Mar 21, 2015.

1. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

Oh. That's it... Thanks! I'll try that out and tell you if it's flat, or works, or whatever happens.

EDIT: It worked. But it's flat like yours. So it must be a problem with terrain.party I assume?

EDIT#2: I tried Occam's Razer's heightmap as well. It was also flat...

#21 pickle330, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I think it is, if I figure out a way to bypass it, would you like me to tell you?

3. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

If you do figure out how to get around this, feel free to PM me. I'd love to make a map of my area or even the ravine on the property I live on. :)

EDIT: Just tried my older heightmap I made in L3DT again to make sure it still works despite everything else being flat. It still works.

EDIT#2: I put my heightmap from terrain.party into L3DT and it was there and I was able to edit it in the 3D editor. Wasn't detailed enough, but I saw a indent in the terrain following most of the ravine I was talking about. Tried it in drive again and it was still flat. I don't remember the way to directly export a heightmap from L3DT... So it was probably the exact same image. Doubt it would make a difference anyway if it came directly from L3DT.

#23 pickle330, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Oops, I didn't mean to suggest that my heightmap would fix the issue, I was just offering an alternative to other services offering real-world location's height data.

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Downloaded and sized a chunk of the Glacier Peak area and it came out flat as well. Re-named image to eliminate confusion
    on the file name ( spaces, hyphens etc.) with no success. My guess is the images are being processed in a way that is different
    than "normal". What that is I have no idea. Torque has no issues with the files themselves but it's not seeing the elevation data
    at all.

6. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

Okay everyone, so both heightmaps from terrain.party and the weird government thing both didn't work by default. I imported the one from terrain party into l3dt and then exported it again like when I generate a heightmap from there, like in fundadors tutorial. Put in game and viola! Worked like a charm. If anyone needs help with the importing/exporting, I will take screenshots of how I did it and post a mini tutorial in this thread.

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Nice!....was going to suggest that but didn't because GIMP didn't do that. Strange. Please post what you did, I'd love to see how these
    work and look with materials. I might try importing these into WM and see if that works.

8. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how to get the materials from the real world thing, I'm just going to use the heightmap. ;)

9. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

That's all I ever do except for WM macros.:cool: Congrats on getting it figured out.

10. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly what I "did" and I thought it would work. I just never remembered/bothered finding out how to export the heightmap from L3DT after... Good job getting it sorted out! I will play with these heightmaps sometime soon.

11. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

After I got the heightmap in, I realized it was going to be very hard to make textures exactly where everything was in real life. I took Aboroath's idea of using the the google maps texture, and it looks great, thanks for the help everybody, I love ya!:D

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what you mean by the google maps texture....my reference was to the WM macro created in that program.:cool: Are you getting
    a map "base texture " out of the google earth image??...I am intrigued!

13. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

A good looking texture that you took from google maps? If this is what I think then I really want this... I just need to heavily modify the heightmap I got as it's not very detailed.

14. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I pretty much just went onto google maps where I got my heightmap from, took a screenshot of the area in low quality (just so I know where the water and roads are) and made it into one huge ground terrain texture and painted it onto my terrain. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like so far in-game. BTW the google maps texture is REALLY low quality. capture6.jpg

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Since I'm learning how WM works this is an interesting concept, thanks for sharing! It basically functions exactly the same as
    a macro or basetex and can be used for the same purpose. Do you use the image as a diffuse in your terrain materials?

16. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Both heightmaps on the first page were in incorrect format. They were 8 bit and RGB or Indexed color mode, when they should be 16 bit and greyscale mode. Easy to fix in Photoshop (Image > Mode) and probably most other image editors.

A few pixels of blur after changing to 16 bits would help remove the roughness from the original low resolution and 8 bit color depth. 8 bit has only 256 levels, so there would be quite large steps on most maps without smoothing.

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I completely forgot about the 8 bit thing. I just assumed everything was 16 bit these days. That totally explains why L3TD
    processing makes them work. I saw absolutely nothing on the Terrainparty site indicating what bit size they export in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice