WIP Beta released Graphics mod Alternative lighting

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Kenichi Koay

Kenichi Koay
    Expand Collapse

2. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Do you mean it works but looks weird when you turn off HDR cause its not meant to be used without the HDR functions.

3. Kenichi Koay

Kenichi Koay
    Expand Collapse

Because it looks darker when I disable HDR

4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Ok, then something else is wrong. Maybe you should look at your monitor settings. Anyways, i can only assume that this mod wont look correct if you disable HDR, so i recommend you dont use this mod in the case that you dont use HDR.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheShibeisReal

TheShibeisReal
    Expand Collapse

so i installed the newest version of this mod and i am not sure if i did it right

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2020-06-08_14-54-57.png
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Do this, open Beamng so that you get the launcher window, where you can choose Clear Cache. Clear your Cache. Dont start Beamng.

Do you have these folders in your Documents\Beamng.drive folder?

core
    shaders
    levels

If you have that you should also have a file in the same folder, called:

AL.postfxpreset

If you dont, these need to be extracted from the AL.zip-file and put there.

After checking this you start Beamng and go into 'Options' and scroll down so that you see the POSTFX-button. Click that. Click 'Load Preset...' and browse to the AL.postfxpreset file. Load that.

After this you should be done.

I can try to recreate the screenshot youve taken when i get back home and we'll see.

7. Alzer07

Alzer07
    Expand Collapse

Hi Brother_Dave, I've installed your graphic mod by following all the steps (and kept the PostFX settings as they come in your mod file), and tried it but I'm not getting the results I should, the game seems to change a little bit but it's still really far from the pictures and gameplay you shown.

The first is your vanilla picture, the second is my modded game, the third is your modded game

Is it due to the fact that my monitor can't dispaly games in HDR ? the difference look still pretty strong too me (even tho I don't know much about HDR so I could be wrong)

(2 details, 1: If I clear the cache after installing the mod then the game removes most of your files, 2: as Kenichi Koay said, if we disable HDR through the PostFX settings the game graphics get some hard contrasts)

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200607-16565566.png
    • Capturedcran1156.png
    • DesktopScreenshot20200607-17091186.png
    #287 Alzer07, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

That is really odd and i would be able to say that its down to your monitors. I might need to get my hands on one without HDR to varify.BUT i also go through the files as soon as i get some time and make sure everythings in the AL.zip to get it running. I do use a full hd tv as monitor so might be what you talked about... :/

9. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so ive tried replicating @TheShibeisReal screenshot and it doesnt look much different although seems like i have alittle more brightness. Ive also tried disabling HDR and damn that looks crap, same as yours i guess. Took a quick look at my files and it seems like everything is in the file i uploaded. Need to test a few more thing, ive got one thing up my sleeve but dont have time for that today unfortunatly.

Worth mentioning that my custom settings on the ECUSA isnt the greates yet so a slight "Stay Tuned" warning.

Are you sure youve got every box ticked in Beamngs POSTFX-window? Also, when youve done that, restart Beamng one time cause weird things happen if i disable then enable PostFx without my mods even installed, that causes mega contrast, which then result in no contrast if i enable/disable Debug for HDR.

Also, make sure you got all the graphics settings to HIGH or Custom.

Attached Files:

• DesktopScreenshot20200610-20063908.png
    • DesktopScreenshot20200610-20075384.png
  10. TheShibeisReal

TheShibeisReal
    Expand Collapse

so the mod seems to work better on modded maps for some reason, i went on 4x4 island and utah remastered and the graphics looked 10 times better than on the base game maps. the first 2 pictures are on 4x4 island, the third one is on utah remastered. any idea why my results are better on modded maps?
    screenshot_2020-06-08_19-32-42.png screenshot_2020-06-08_19-33-03.png screenshot_2020-06-09_16-03-47.png

11. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

The map authors might be using different lighting settings to the devs, ones that happen to react better to graphics mods. I would check the world editor to see how bright the sunsky is set in the modded map compared to default, since high brightness tends to give me the best results with Reshade at least.

12. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Offtopic. Those rocks can rival vanilla Skyrim visuals
    Screenshot_20200610-235546.jpg Screenshot_20200610-235143.jpg

13. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

This very much. Had the same thought on my way to work this morning (still eaaarly morning here).

You guys that dont get the results somewhat matching my screenshots but on good rigs, when did you last reinstall Beamng? I did at 0.19.1 i think, i can try and reinstall it this afternoon and see if it could be my setup thats worng but i hope and dont think so.
    --- Post updated ---
    Agree, assets keep on getting better and better. Love how one can follow how the levels quality increase with each update, as the devs get the time to and learn more i guess.

14. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

So i reinstalled my beamng, wiped EVERYTHING, so files left in Documents\Beamng.drive and none in Steams game folder.

Installed Beamng.drive
    Opened it once to create the necessary Documents\Beamng.Drive files
    Closed Beamng
    Opened Beamng launcher
    Hit Support Tools
    Cleared Cache and ok'd everything
    Pasted the files from the zip to my Documents\Beamng.Drive-folder. How it should now look is attached in a pic.
    Started Beamng launcher and started Beamng
    Hit options and made sure all graphics are at High or equivalent
    Back to main menu, hit PLAY, chose FREEROAM and chose Small island.
    Game was pitch black but i hadnt opened the POSTFX window yet so i went into Options and clicked the POSTFX button
    I went in under HDR and made sure HDR was enabled (tick box) and the same for Bloom, i did miss to enable Light Rays but thats irrelevant
    I hit Load Preset... and loaded the AL.postfxpreset

Game looks like the attached pic, as it should.. Hmm..

Attached Files:

• fartsareasnaturalasyourloveforbeamng.png
    • DesktopScreenshot20200611-12310010.png
  15. aeoe

aeoe
    Expand Collapse

Did i do it right?

note: i have my gamma on 77
    edit: when it's evening

#295 aeoe, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. Kenichi Koay

Kenichi Koay
    Expand Collapse

looks so bright in the morning

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Looks right but if thats with gamma .77 then how does it look with gamma 1? Gotta be hella bright.

Very bright. Too bright? This is a filmic tonemapping which ice set to brighter bright, darker darks and more contrast overall. I can lower the brightness fairly easy for those that like that.

18. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

I really like it but I don't like how oversaturated the lighting became...Now its wayyyyy too bright and washes out that dark areas of maps way too much. It just doesn't look natural/realistic anymore.

Here's a video I recorded a year ago when I was using this mod, it looked amazing, I wouldn't play the game without it back then, now I prefer the default lighting as of right now...

I mean...sure it looks good (at sundown or dawn), but it just doesn't look realistic in my opinion, and compared to the video above, I found that to be perfect - in terms of lighting.
    20200611114616_1.jpg

#298 Sparks4, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  19. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I remember that vid, it came across as way too dark for me after i adjusted my monitors settings, looks really dark now too but i can see what you mean. Shadows more distinct and what not but i had to use alot of bad tricks to get that, overdarkened the ambient scale and increased specular brightness so that it went ultra shiny in spots (although i might bring that back cause i miss some of the specular highlights :p )

Try the attached file as say what you think. Its set at half strength compared to the first one.

This is purely for Sparks4 so for anyone that doesnt have the AL.zip, download that first at page 14.

To get this running, extract the file into your Documents\beamng.drive-folder so that the shaders folder is overwritten.
    Go into the cache.0.19.4.1-folder and delete the Shaders-folder thats in there.

Run the game and it should reload only the shaders, this is how i do everything these days, i only delete the folder in the cache thats impacted.

Attached Files:

20. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Ive adjusted acouple of things, for example Italy was for some reason oversaturated by far, midday looked as orange as trumps pillow. Tonemapping has had alot of toning down but also seen the darks getting abit darker mid day, for those who are not a fan of brightness during mid day driving. Its btw one of the many reasons games still ti this day use locked TOD, so that the tonemapping (and/or postfx overall) for that specific time. I generally dont drive mid day cause its gonna look crap and if it doesnt then morning/evening will. One thing that ive been looking at is Eye Adaption, gives the overly bright feeling at first but tones down to a more useable/driveable brightness.

Anyways, heres the files, have a go!

Install:

Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.

Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders and the file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.

Done!

Heres a TOD vid from ECUSA:

Attached Files:

• AL.zip

File size:
      47.5 MB
      Views:
    #300 Brother_Dave, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice