Ghost Mode [Quick-Play]

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Octothorp Obelus, Feb 14, 2017.

?

Should this officially be added to BeamNG?

1. Yes, I'd love to see this!

96.4%
  2. No, I don't see how this is useful.

3.6%
  1. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

So I was looking at the second post in the BeamNG rally league thread and thought that it would be a great idea if you could choose a replay of a previous race in the Quick Play menu and race it.

Basic idea:
    • Be able to choose a replay from a previous race (of course, not every previous race will be recorded, still manual)
    • Have an option to collide with the Ghost Car or not (only if possible to control collisions, but I'd guess yes as there is an option in-game to disable inter-vehicular collisions)
    • Only be able to choose replays where the car took less that 70-80% damage (to avoid choosing one that crashed by accident, maybe give "Car took too much damage during replay.")
      • Is there a way to simulate the replay without showing it on-screen to figure this out?
    • If/When leaderboards are added, allow an option at the end of the race for the user to upload their race time
    • Replay must be from the same map chosen (Jungle Rock island replay on Industrial Park obviously wouldn't bode well)
    Uses:
    • Personal best times
    • Not-so-live multiplayer (I mean locally, but you can send replays to people, too)
    • Sibling competition
    • Practicing? (What could you be practicing for? The BeamNG rally league?)
    That's about it really.

2. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, this would be neat to have. The car's position could be recorded for this, no need to keep the physics in something like this.

3. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

@Nadeox1 , I know that this may seem like an unnecessary mention, but what is your opinion on this topic? Do you think this would be difficult to implement? Thanks :)

4. CFMdude

CFMdude
    Expand Collapse

+1 all the way

Yes, yes, yes! The one thing that this game lacks atm as there is no multiplayer. I really love doing trials, but there is no way of knowing if the lap is better or worst than the last go until I finish the whole race. Seeing a ghost of the previous go or another player would be such a gamechanger. I don't think it would need to record visual damage of the ghost, just a accurate position. Anyone know if there have been talks of this from the devs?
    --- Post updated ---
    BTW, as there is already a replay function, shouldn't it be possible to make an overlay of the replay?

5. umustbeloggedintododat

umustbeloggedintododat
    Expand Collapse

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Replay records all the nodes and their movement (position vs time), game knows where to place visible 3d model from location of those nodes.

Code would need to disable collision of ghost car nodes and maybe set visibilty of mesh to something lower, maybe closer player is lower visibility of mesh should be and further would be more visibility, this is how best ghost cars in other games work.

Not sure if there would be other issues, like sounds etc. Those might need disabling or something.

It does not sound huge job, but it might be that there is something that I'm not aware that makes it huge job. still it would add a lot to game and definitely I would like such :D

7. CFMdude

CFMdude
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking something like the feature in Trackmania:
    You only see a ghost of your previous ride which is transparent and with no sound or collision. In my opinion visual damage is not stricly necessary as the main purpose is to use it in trial mode. Then you can see exactly where in the track you have potential to improve e.g. placement in turns, time of braking before cornering, if your last try was faster in any segment etc etc.

POLL: What do people actually think about this? -if some of the devs can see this: would it be difficult to implement?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

But game can't place meshes without nodes, it is much easier to set nodes non collidable and have replay system position nodes instead of creating new system where mesh is placed without nodes.

At least I think so, but then again I'm not a developer, maybe there is a system that would work better already :D

9. CFMdude

CFMdude
    Expand Collapse

hm, got no clue about programming, but sounds like you're into something! Do you think this is something the devs need to look into or would it be possible to make a mod?

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure, problem is that I don't know if it is possible to make lua script that makes nodes non collidable, if that is possible, then it would technically just require automating replay function so that it starts playing on trigger, which would be a finish line, also it would need to record second replay at the same time in case time is better.

Also mesh visibility adjustment, I don't know if that can be called from lua script.

Then comes questions about performance and it would most likely work only for single vehicle only, which might cause issues if ghost car is also recorded by replay.

So lot of unknowns but without better understanding I would think that would be still easiest way to make it.

11. CFMdude

CFMdude
    Expand Collapse

Understand, although it probably wouldn't be that performance hungry if damage wasn't modeled in the replay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice