1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Generic Controller Button Binding Difficulties

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Safthof, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Safthof

Safthof
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I'm having trouble to assign the buttons of my standalone h-shifter to each gear. The strokes are detected correctly by they are being confused with the buttons of my FF-wheel. I get the warning, that "Button0" is already assigned to camera.
    upload_2018-8-2_18-40-20.png
    However in the controller-menu the game can distinguish both input devices. (Reverse-Button and High-Lever are hit)
    upload_2018-8-2_18-45-35.png upload_2018-8-2_18-45-41.png
    I thought that this could be, because both buttons are named the same. On the other hand, mouse has an button too, but there is no problem with assignment.

Is there a workaround for me, so I can drive with my shifter or do I have to wait for a fix?

PS: It would be nice to get the possibility to rename buttons (for wheels especially) so one can recognize them better.

2. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

3. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Just checked your report, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

Are you getting any problematic behaviour while playing the game (while driving, etc), or only in the control assignments menu? Can you please explain in more detail what is the problem you are experiencing, what steps do you follow exactly to reproduce it?

4. Safthof

Safthof
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I get problematic behaviour. First I thougth that this is just a minor error in the UI, but as I started shifting the "secoundary" assingment of each gear was triggered: In reverse-gear the game switched the gear to reverse and zoomed out; in 1st gear it switched the gear to 1 and zoomed in and so on.
    Currently I'm not at home to make a short video of this. But I could make one this afternoon.

5. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

According to your configuration, the "button0" of your joystick is assigned to both "Reverse Gear" and also to "Zoom In".

This has nothing to do with the steering wheel, so it should happen even if you unplug the steering wheel.

You should remove one of the two bindings in order for reverse gear to not also zoom the camera in.

6. Safthof

Safthof
    Expand Collapse

You are totally right. :eek:
    Do new unknown controllers get a default set of bindings? Because a combination of that and the identical yet vacuous naming scheme might have confused me.
    I just removed all existing bindings as you said and now it works. Sorry for stealing your time ...

7. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

We currently bundle default bindings for 35 different controllers, the idea being that most users can just run the game and play without having to manually configure anything. Your joystick reports an identification code for which we bundle some default bindings, hence why you were being shown the possibility of "conflicts" when you attempted to binding extra functionality to the same button.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice