General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Re: General discussion chat

facebook chat until 4am followed by being woken up at 7 = terrible idea

2. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Terrible idea, but I'll 1up you: all night LAN party until work started at 7am.. A driving job - stupid idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I know I've been rude a couple of times. I'm not usually sorry for it though. There have been times when I'm wrong, but when people ask about multiplayer, or ask when a official car is going to be released (even though the past 4 posts have been about slidenodes) I'll get mad. I also don't like people wildly suggesting computer builds. I know this isn't a tech forum but ftlog stop suggesting things like a gt 620 or a i9 999999xxawesomeedition, beamng doesn't only stress your CPU, that's like eating food and not drinking. And please stop arguing AMD vs intel if you're going to come in without recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of both.

/rant

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I guess this is a confessions thread now.
    I think I'm getting too relaxed here. I'm posting too many useless stupid things. I love doing that, because it's like how I am in real life. I'm useful if I need to be but most of the time I'm just an obscene idiot. I need to stahp.

5. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

We really need slidenodes. And by the way, Intel CPU's are much better, that's a fact.

#/shotsfired

hueheue :cool:

6. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I have started early with my lawn work and I plan on getting a G27, a new case, keyboard and mouse, and a new CPU. Already have $20 lol.

By the way, I plan on getting a Phantom, either the RAT7 or some Razer keyboard or mouse, and if anyone wants to recommend a good AMD CPU that is am AM3+ socket, I will think over getting it.

7. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I plan on continuing to teach and exhibit for money, and building my own high-quality wheels/pedals/shifter.

Also Intel is best.

Hehe.

8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

But noooooooobz, everyone knows that you need a rage 128 to really use all that power!

9. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

I have a Rage 128 but the game doesn't even start up. :( Says something about not enough RAM.

My specs:
    Intel Pentium III @ 700 Mhz
    384MB SD-RAM
    ATI Rage 128 32MB
    Biostar M6VBE-A

IRONY

10. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

geforce 8400 gs is top dog when it comes to graphics cards. What are you guys on?

And AMD cpu's and apu's are the best. My a6-5400k is superior in every way to something intel like a lowly i7.

skrubz

11. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

How does that get "us" caught?

12. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like that kids needs a good crackin :)

#92 ThreeDTech21, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  13. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's a rather long story. I'd prefer to not get into it.

14. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

But the damage isn't something they had to code for, it came entirely naturally from the physics. How on earth do you suppose they would work up to something that they didn't have to even have to bother specifically implementing?

also, AMD because better for reasons.

/takecover

15. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

On the ARM A profile front (I work with ARM M profile chips a fair bit which is an entirely different story) I am personally a bit of a fanboy for the tegra. Nothing wrong with snapdragon though, my phone is snapdragon (just not a high end one, not sure of the model but its a dual core 1ghz krait architecture chip with the adreno 302 and 1gb of RAM). But the GPU power of the tegra :O
    NVidia also demoed a mini ITX motherboard with a tegra 3 processor and a PCI slot running ubuntu with OpenGL and OpenCL hardware acceleration on an attached GTX560... Now that was somewhat Schmexy although I can't help but think they could have integrated the tegra straight onto a custom GTX560 board instead :p Talk about CPU vs GPU bottleneck.

I personally use ARM Cortex M0, M0+ from NXP and Cortex M4F from texas instruments. These are microcontrollers for embedded systems rather than full blown general purpose processors you would use in a smartphone, tablet or laptop (yeah there are ARM laptops, I want one for some reason). Most powerful one I have is the Tiva C Series TM4C1294XL, 120MHz ARM Cortex M4F, 1mb of flash storage, 256kb of SRAM and a ton of GPIOs. Weakest microcontroller I own is probably a tie between an LPC810 and MSP430G2452. LPC810 is a 20MHz ARM Cortex M0+ (although can be externally clocked at upto 30MHz) with only 4kb of flash and 1kb of SRAM and only 6 GPIO (of which 1 can be over-ridden for a reset switch and another for external clock sources leaving you with 4). G2452, MSP430 architecture which is a 16 bit instruction set intended for microcontrollers in this case running at 16MHz, 8kb of flash storage and 512 bytes of SRAM with 16 GPIOs, can store a bigger program than the 810 can while interfacing with more external hardware but is crippled with less RAM, lower clockspeed and a lower throughput of instructions per clock signal aswell.
    Certainly not going to be running crysis on these sorts of chips :p Things like microwaves, cookers, maybe inside your keyboard even, this is usually the domain of a microcontroller. Happens to be that if you go to disneyland you can get these weird headbands with mickey mouse ears on them which flash in time to music at some concert they hold (think its at most disneylands), what controls the flashing? the G2553, bigger brother to the G2452 above (although to me it looks like either option is overkill for that purpose). There is a microcontroller inside an xbox controller, there are actually a few inside your laptop for things like battery monitoring etc.
    Or for me, I use them for building robots :p

These 2 actually use an AtMega328. The tank chassis has an infrared receiver similar to those used inside TVs and DVD players and I am using it to pick up the signal from an infrared remote from a cheap RC car. The yellow plastic thing is a "bob the biped" and is not responding to any sensor input, its pretty much just random twitching.

This one uses a raspberry pi rather than a microcontroller to be fair, watch the tape on one of the wheels, the 2 metal canisters side by side are a rangefinding sensor. The text flying up the TV screen behind is actually debugging information.

This is my hobby, its a nerdy one, but rather rewarding. My collection of microcontrollers is growing and currently includes MSP430, AVR, ARM and Propeller devices.

#96 SixSixSevenSeven, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

wish there was more excursions and suburbans and ford expeditions, and really just more full size suv's showing up on craigslist

18. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

There really isn't too bad of a selection of excursions within probably 100 miles of here.
    But there are tons of suburbans and expeditions.

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

mmm, not my craigslist, i mostly see coupes, sedans, and pickup trucks, very few suv's show up, which makes me sad, as i like suv's, heck, even minivans show up more often than suv's (although, they are pretty awesome minivans (as most of the time it's the ford windstar, which happens to be one of my favorite minivans, as well as the only one i would actually ever buy))

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

You being in California has a lot to do with it I'm sure. Just a buncha tree huggin liberals out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice