General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Re: General discussion chat

If you're ever in Australia, do not forget to give a V8 Hotlap a go.

2. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I highly doubt I'll ever be in Australia, but I'll keep that in mind.

3. BaronRedStorm

BaronRedStorm
    Expand Collapse

Is it just me or have i noticed a few website style changes?

4. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Not only is youtube working on 60fps video, but look at this.
    yrUm1VA.png
    4k. I knew it was possible but I thought you had to be a special channel to do it. Neat. Next up is 60fps 4k video. :eek:

5. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Windows are tinted 15% and I'm doing it right no rice
    And a 2 in drop

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

anyone else notice that the beamng.drive badge changed?

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

No it didn't?

8. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

yes it did:

1ac44a330b.png

ooo, the beamng logo also updated it seems:

655c74e875.png

#5348 logoster, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'll clear my cache then.

EDIT: That worked.

10. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Just came back from a Chinese field trip. It was rather fun.

11. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

The neighbors down the road moved out after ~40-50 years of living in that house. I went over today (I think someone is buying the house) and picked up their old trailer and push mower. The mower is a very similar one to the one we already have (Same engine, it's just not working. Something about the gas can/carb I think.) and it's going to someone else. (He just wanted me to pick it up for him since he's in the hospital and like I said, the house is being sold very soon.) I dragged it up the road with my mower attached to it with a chain that was on the trailer. The tires were completely flat so it was bouncing all over the place. Got it home, pumped up the tires, blew all the leaves and crap out, and washed it down. I also got a gas can and a spare wheel for the trailer. I still don't know if the tires don't leak, I just know that they'll hold air. I took pictures, but a lot of them disappeared. Should I spray paint it?

http://imgur.com/a/JsTuN

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

So, anyone else looking forward to the new nexus devices? (Nexus 6 and nexus 9)

Sent from the 3rd galaxy via the talks of tapping

13. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I'm kind of really pissed at Assetto Corsa right now. After the new update (which would be great if I could actually play it) all my settings got reset. No big deal (or so I thought) until for whatever frickin' reason, I cannot drive in a straight line without the wheel twitching back and forth constantly. Unless I completely turn FFB off, which is absolutely unplayable, I always have this frickin' twitchiness. I can feel the FFB trying to turn the wheel, but I keep it centered just fine and for whatever damn reason the wheel in game twitches non stop. I'm so frustrated to mess with it anymore. Hopefully I can get it fixed some other time.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Be glad you can get in-game at all, after the latest update my game refuses to start, just says "steam failed to initialize. Closing."

Ive tried everything, verify game cache, re-installed twice(second time completely deleting the folder manually), deleting assetto corsa documents folder, and still nothing

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I was bored, so I created my own image format. It's probably the most inefficient thing ever.
    It supports 2 bits per channel, so 64 colours. It saves images in a simple text file, using numbers 0-9, upper and lowercase letters and 2 symbols. Of course, there is no header, so you have to enter the image width manually when you open an image.
    The image viewer actually prints the image to the screen using SetPixel, getting the colours from a large switch statement. It's not that slow anyway.
    But if you want to take a screenshot, that will take some time. It uses GetPixel to get the pixel colour, then takes R, G, and B integer values, then converts them to a 6-bit binary number (which is done by comparing each value to 0, 85, 170 and 255 to see which one is closer, then write 00, 01, 10 or 11 to the binary), then converts that to a decimal integer and then to an ASCII character which is written to the text file. All of that for a single pixel. So it does around 30 pixels per second.
    As for quality, well, it's got 64 colours. Doesn't look quite as good as 16.7 million. Here's what the default Win 7 wallpaper looks like (BTW, this took about an hour):
    windows.png
    Looks like Windows on acid.

And this 500x480 image (235 kb) is actually larger than a 1440x900 jpg (219 kb).

16. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea how this works at all, but shouldn't there just be color banding and not random colors? 64 isn't a lot but there are multiple shades of the primary colors. How did red end up green?

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

There aren't any random colours. Each character has a decimal ID:
    Numbers 0-9: 0-9
    Uppercase A-Z: 10-35
    Lowercase a-z: 36-61
    #: 62
    $: 63 (I just used 2 random symbols)

That decimal ID is translated to a 6-bit binary. For example:

R = 27 = 011011

The binary number uses 2 bits for each channel, so R/G/B look like this:

01/10/11

Or, in R/G/B decimal:

1/2/3

Since the maximum value allowed is 3 (11), 3 is 255. 0 is 0, and 1 and 2 are 255/3 *1 and *2, so 85 and 170.
    This works just fine when printing from a purpose-made test file, but not so fine when making a screen capture.

The capture tool compares the pixel's RGB values to find the closest of the 4 available values. For example, if the pixel's RGB is 34/178/70:

34 is rounded to 0, or 00.
    178 is rounded to 170, or 10.
    70 is rounded to 85, or 01.

So you get: 001001 = 9, and a 9 is written to the text file.

Not really good for colour accuracy, but certainly much better than the old 4-bit, 16 colour R/G/B/I system.

18. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Man, my gs3 feels even more fluid and faster then it was before android 4.4.2 OTA update (ik im late, I just didn't unroot until today, so update always failed before)

19. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

Look at the number of posts difference between me and logster. And I have been here a month longer.

Finally forced to update to Window's 8.1 today and BeamNG stopped working. Direct3D failed to initialize. I think it's driver related as it says my graphics card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.1.

:|

20. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Pfffft, thats nothing, look at 6677's post count, I say he should get a custom badge

Seriously though, my phone is so fast now its rediculous (and it was pretty fast before update as well) animations are also WAY more fluid

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice