General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

#28821 aljowen, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Guess what shop this was in...
    IMG_20170107_142528904.jpg IMG_20170107_142655932.jpg IMG_20170107_142557265.jpg
    "Pound"World
    Because everything is a pound here.

#28822 Deleted member 1747, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  3. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I prefer the UK plug to the US plug.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Dont step on one though, holy mother of god, makes a lego block feel pleasant

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Actually, Australia's currency is plastic and holds up much better over time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Especially don't stand on one if it has all metal prongs. That hurts quite a lot :p

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Plastic money is currently being phased in in the UK at the moment too. So far its just plastic £5 notes, which is a lot of notes since they are one of the super common ones.

9. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I was an idiot and put one in a change machine and never got it back. Oops.

I don't like the idea of the new pound.
    THINK OF THE TROLLIES :(

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

If the side effect of it is that the trolleys that need a £1 coin to be unlocked all become obsolete I will gladly accept the new coin :p

I had no idea plastic notes were being phased in. One day a cashier at a shop handed me a plastic note as change, certainly took me by surprise but for some reason I didn't even question it. They could have handed me anything I guess.

11. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I guess if they temporarily remove it, it will be the perfect time to nick one then throw it in a river haha

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Like a £1 coin is going to stop anyone anyway. Which is probably why most supermarkets don't use them. A few of the Tesco's have trolleys where the wheels lock up if you leave the stores perimeter (car park included ofc). The local Morrisons doesn't do anything with their trolleys, however they send some staff out every week to collect trolleys from my apartment complex because they seem to accumulate here, even the maintenance staff use Morrisons trolleys to carry equipment around.

13. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Huh. My area all have locks on the trollies. Maybe to do with crime or something smh.

14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think it only tends to be in rougher areas. I haven't seen any trolleys in my current area with locks on. While the only place where I have seen geofenced self locking wheels is Tesco Aberdare (go figure). There used to be a lot of trolleys with £1 locks on in Middlesbrough area where I used to live but they got phased out over time.

I don't know if people get trolley locks in other countries so here is an image for reference:

In the UK you put a £1 coin in the slot and the lock unlocks. Then when you park the trolley back again your £1 is released out of the trolley again.

15. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

The sainsbury's I usually go to seems to be right on the edge of a slightly dodgy area.

Coming to think about it, all of the supermarkets are in dodgy areas. In the okay areas it seems to only be smaller shops.

Anyway, since this conversation has come from talk about currency, it's always interesting to see new types of coins and notes, I mean I'm not particularly interested in that stuff but it's satisfying to see new stuff.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Well I imagine that is because they charge more in the smaller Tesco Express stores than they do in the super stores. So it probably makes sense to put them in more affluent areas.

17. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Went into the city centre today, pretty much didn't need to buy any food because I received at first 2 slices of pizza from a new pizza place that were giving out food for free as a promotion, and also got a free smoothie that for some reason a transport company were giving out, I think it was only so you'd actually stop to talk to them about their new deals or something haha

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

yeah, but equally the old coins hold sentimental value. Plus the older coins still have a lot of life left in them, presumably the benefit outweighs the cost of reclaiming all the old ones, melting them down, designing new ones, creating the equipment to make news one and then manufacturing new ones. But that is a lot of energy to put into something.

I guess it creates new jobs for people who have to fix all of the stuff that is going to be made obsolete and incompatible though ;/

19. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

True. It's a complicated of course when none of the old machines will accept the coin.

But you have to admit it't very satisfying seeing a brand new, shiny coin

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

But will it be as satisfying when all of the coins are new and shiny?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice