General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Wrecked lap 1 turn 1. I'm a fucking embarrassment to iRacing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I am gonna be starting driving lessons soon, decided to get some practice...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

hooray for subwoofer rattling my closet door. luckily for my neighbors, bass doesnt travel out of my room when i door closed.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It seems that my next round of upgrades will lead me to outgrow the Intel Z97 chipset entirely. 7 hard drives, 6 are supported. That sucks, now I'll have to purchase a SATA controller card, or upgrade to X99. Controller card... x99... Drop RAID backup storage...

I'll all about looks, and that controller card is going to be uuuuugly. Assuming I have enough case space. Curse the S340 for being so small and cute, because I've outgrown it too.

Originally upgrades were minimal: EVGA SuperNOVA 700 B2, a second MSI R9 380 4G, and a second 256GB SanDisk SSD for RAID 0 fastness, but now it's turned into all original plans, an NZXT H440, a SATA controller card, a hard drive for even more downloads storage (160GB not enough), a hard drive for other programs (160GB 2.5" HDD failure), a big hard drive for RAID backup... And a bill of $1,000 and I'd still have a thermal bottleneck because the NZXT Kraken X61 is stupidly expensive.

This is a good hobby, I love it, but it leaves you living in a van down by the river.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

Looks like something ashens could review...
    I wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Small question, why not condense your 6 hard drives of total 1.3TB (with redundancy) into fewer higher capacity drives to gain more storage with less ports.

Also if you really do need 5 bazillion storage drives you might be better off building yourself a dedicated storage box with a server board inside and wiring that into your computer via router/switch/network card.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

FreeNAS might be an idea for him

8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Nah, I have my reasons. I prefer to have my drives right here, easily accessible and maintainable. There are things that scare me, and network storage is one of those things. I don't know why, but it does.

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough then.

Did anyone else catch the nvidia press conference? They are claiming the gtx 1070 will outperform a titan x at $379. Should be interesting to see how those claims hold up. They are also claiming that the 1080 is faster than dual 980s in sli.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

yeah, I am interested on a 1050 now, when they hit the market I should be able to budget for one.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Condense a few drives, but if you must go bigger, go X99. It isn't tons more expensive, and controller cards tend to just add a ton of BS to the process.
    I'm interested.

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I raced a Ferrari in the Corolla today.

I lost.

• Like Like x 13
  13. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

I wonder how many alerts @Nadeox1 has when he comes online after 24 hours...

• Like Like x 1
  14. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Taking the first practical portion of the the MSF basic riders course tomorrow. 8 am to 4 pm of riding a 250 in a parking lot.

15. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

If you throw a pumpkin in the air it comes down squash.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Meanwhile in Discord...

Maybe we shouldn't be doing this...

• Like Like x 2
  17. GameNoobTV

GameNoobTV
    Expand Collapse

It's moments like this I live for.

• Like Like x 2
  18. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

It's ok guys I'm here.
    Installing Windows on a spare drive to snatch up my free Windows 10, because I can't let something worth $100+ go. But of course I will be gone by tomorrow.
    Might even try BeamNG, fancy.

#25138 daniel_j, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  19. WolfieJones

WolfieJones
    Expand Collapse

I discovered that jet fuel can't melt steel beams!
    rsz_1lrdnhjp.jpg
    So original

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Every single day in one are of town there are a bunch of Christians trying to get people involved with the church trying to hand out free leaflets etc. To their credit they are actually pretty polite about it and don't really bother people. But its kinda entertaining to see a high streets worth of pedestrians try and cram themselves into as small a space as possible to stay as far away from them as possible in order to avoid being talked to.
    Its the same with charities as well. The whole high street splits with everyone scraping along the walls with a charity worker in the centre picking off the unlucky few. Got to feel sorry for the people that have to try and pressure sell charity subscriptions for little to no pay though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice