General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Microsoft...
    upload_2019-5-29_18-8-52.png

Steps recorder keeps record of steps taken by a user

upload_2019-5-29_18-11-52.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

I am planning a new workstation and gaming PC build focusing on the use of AMD hardware, and red LED lighting (I already have the LED lighting in the tower)

32 GB DDR4
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X with 240 mm liquid cooler
    some high end AMD Radeon, might wait for new ones
    2 TB NVMe SSD
    >800W fully modular PSU

3. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

There's all this hype about Ryzen 3000...

I've yet to sit back and go "you know, my Gen 1 Ryzen just isn't fast enough."

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

upload_2019-5-30_21-32-32.png
    well it's a saving *shrug*

oh wait nvm it's a microsoft store app sooooo
    upload_2019-5-30_21-33-33.png
    upload_2019-5-30_21-33-46.png

upload_2019-5-30_21-35-20.png
    that is just an interesting dialogue box... took me like 10s to realise what the hell is going on!

5. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

This isn't about just speed. It is also about core count and performance per dollar. The Ryzen 3000 series raises the bar even higher and puts even more pressure on Intel. AMD fans want it and the industry NEEDS this. To be clear, I would NOT recommend upgrading from one Ryzen generation to another unless you bought a cheap Ryzen and are upgrading to a higher tier (i.e. Ryzen 3 to Ryzen 5 or 7).

6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oh, no, if I'm upgrading, it's to the 12c/24t Ryzen 9 on custom watercooling on that $1,000 ASRock overclocking board and trying to get it to over 5GHz.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think benefit from Ryzen 2nd high end to Ryzen 3rd high end is there, much more than there has been in last 3 Intel generations and it is also only CPU upgrade that is needed.

From 6th gen or later top end consumer Intel to Ryzen 3rd gen, only if one does rendering and plays some shooter games, for other games might not be much of an upgrade, but in 5 years more cores can benefit so if hardware does not fail, it might give quite good improvements in performance for future.

AMD GPU I would advice to consider even 4th time, their market share is so small and their fixes for drivers tend to take longer, but if you really want AMD GPU for other than rational reasons (hey, most car sales happen from those other reasons), then no comments on that, there just might be bit higher chance of long standing trouble with AMD than NVIDIA because of that.

I think GPU market could use new player as pricing has become pretty much to dominance of one, AMD is not really even trying to compete anymore there it seems, what is a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Hence intel joining the dGPU market soon. This gives me mixed feels. I very much look forward to seeing what they come up with, but don't have much hype for them toppling the existing two giants.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It will be interesting to see what happens, do they take on only consumer market or also datacenter side of things where AMD is quite bit stronger than what is on consumer side?

It will be pretty impossible to better Nvidia at top end, as Nvidia has been there so long and has such experience that it certainly takes time for intel to get even near.

Steam hardware survey stats are quite depressing for AMD these days, not sure how long they will try to seriously compete. Buildzoid did mention in video how he thinks AMD is just making easy consumer products and not even attempting to be on race with Nvidia from top position and with limited resources that would sound logical thing to do.

Intel has better resources to stir current situation a bit, at least it might bring people choice, full blue or full red, or some green mix in one of either, variety is always good :)

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Intel is planning to go consumer with more priority than data centre apparently. Quick cash whereas data center wants proven technology.
    Leaks suggest Intel might be able to bring something competitive to the table, but there's a difference between being competitive and market leading

• Like Like x 1
  11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I'm not at all expecting much. Just because they have an ex-RTG boss doesn't really mean they're going to do anything amazing in the dGPU segment.

Rumor has it that it's just a big version of their iGPU. That seriously doesn't spike hope to me, their iGPU's are display adapters at best an wastes of silicon at the worst.

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

their iGPU *architecturally* is pretty advanced, beat AMD and NVidia to full DX12 hardware acceleration and now has support for VSR2.0 (beating NVidia who are on 1.0 and AMD who dont have it yet, though are getting it in navi). The iGPUs literally only suck because no VRAM, low clock speed and super low core count. Throw some more cores at it, bump up that clock speed, bit of VRAM, already on course for something competitive. ice lake is already matching vega 8 and 11 for tdp in mobile SKUs though unfortunately not *beating* AMD counterparts, which is a shame. Still, most of the comparisons are in non VSR enabled titles and that can bring another 30-50% bump in frame rate.

I'm not expecting them to show NVidia or AMD how its done. But they do have potential.

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I suppose we have to wait to see what they eventually come out with in terms of an AIB dGPU. Another player in the space would be wonderful, much like if VIA suddenly made their way into typical socketed desktop x86 CPUs. It's kind of like the first gen Ryzen CPUs. Intel doesn't have to beat Nvidia or AMD at the GPU game, they just have to be competitive and cost less.

The only problem with that is that Intel doesn't really do so hot at the whole "costs less" thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Intel GPUs are energy efficient though. I suspect Intel might be capable of producing a video card with good performance per watt which would be suitable for laptop use and for PCs with weak PSUs. Though even there, it will be hard to match Nvidia given how efficient the GeForce cards are (Nintendo Switch uses a Nvidia Tegra SoC for good reason... its the only sane choice for that type of platform).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

I cannot understand why my laptop has suspicious energy comsumption. When I AFK after a while sometimes the power usage increase to about 80% playing BeamnG and the cooling fans ran like hell. However if you open taskmgr to find out whet happened, or simply move the mouse, the power consumtion drops and the fan silenced. I also noticed that two of my friends' computers have the same problem, I told them but they seem don't care. It only appeared to happen on laptop(I don't have a PC or workstation) running windows 10. This is spooky, so I always shut down before I went AFK.

Could anybody explain why? Do you have the same problem?
    My worst guess is that Micro$oft uses our CPUs to do distributed computing, saving electricity on their HQ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Nope. What Windows 10 does do though is run maintenance routines while the PC is inactive. This includes defragging HDDs, etc. It may also send diagnostic data (such as crash dumps) to Microsoft to help them fix bugs. I suspect that the maintenance routines may not be optimized for laptops. Microsoft overlooking a whole class of devices would not exactly be unprecedented.

You should let the maintenance run. Have the laptop plugged in, and sitting in a position where air can get to the cooler when you're not using it.

#8576 PriusRepellent, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Hold on, you're saying that Ice Lake iGPUs draw the same amount of power as Vega 8 and Vega 11. What?

Also, I'm not expecting Ice Lake, or any 10nm Intel part for that matter, to be available in substantial quantities for at least another year or two, because Intel just can't get their 10nm process going reliably.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Ice lake is 10nm+, separate process node. But yeah basically they have SoCs going toe to toe with Ryzen 3700u, roughly same performance on CPU and GPU, both 25W

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Application experience, telemetry, driver updates, other updates, changes to make you use your system way MS wants, group policy will be your friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

So it turns out that my 2007 Mitsubishi SL4SU can support all the way from 640x400 CGA graphics, ranging from 60-85Hz, to 1920x1080 at 60 fps! 1080p on a projector that has a native resolution of 800x600.. from 2007 with VGA input! It's a good scalar!
    Also apparently it supports VGA at 120Hz.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice