General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Is it plugged into Ethernet? If so, some computers actually keep the LAN on, in case it needs to be woken up via LAN. There should be a bios option for that

2. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Nope. The computer is actually disassembled. Ive been told windows 10 caches weird things like this though, so ill let that explain it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

That is weird. Maybe it's just a windows 10 thing. (I use 7 & XP)

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I will admit though, the windows 10 app selection is increasing quite a bit, it isn't downright awful anymore, it now is decent, but the apps that are important (Facebook for example) are woefully out of date when other platforms get updates faster (usually in this order Apple (IOS) -> Android -> Windows Mobile -> Windows 10

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Also, I love how it just downloads & installs Candy Crush and other apps without any notification!

(the funny thing is: you need a microsoft account to download apps, but windows'll do it anyway regardless!)

#6305 AdamB, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

#linuxmasterrace

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

What distro? For me, linux mint :)

8. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Arch baby :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Havent tried arch yet. I'm reformatting a Lenovo SFF desktop soon, so I'll try it out

10. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I dual boot arch with Windows 10 so that I can play games on Windows and do everything else on Linux.

11. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Whenever I need to use windows programs on linux, I just use a program called "Wine". It works for most stuff :)

12. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

But not BeamNG :(
    Or at least not since last I checked..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Back when BeamNG ran on directx 9

14. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

I tried linux for a week. Yea no. I also am stuck with either windows 8 or 10. I dont have a 8 disk and 10 is easy enough to install.

Im stuck with 8 or 10 because one of those formatted at least one of my drives so it ONLY works in win8 or 10. Anything lower it shows up as raw data that can not be accessed. Gotta love windows huh?

15. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot27.png
    I guess I don't need a monitor for my Pi :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

It's probably using GPT. Try formatting it with MBR partitioning.

17. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

The drive is already formatted and has 2tb of data on it. Thats why the formatting is a problem lol. I should do some cleaning though.

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That's usually a backup device such as an external harddrive, or a small cabinet called a NAS (Network attached storage), plugged into one of the computers on your network. These are just hard drives, a system-on-a-chip/drive controller, an external enclosure, and usually a small power unit with a fan (or an external power brick).
    Looks like it's running Western Digital RED hard drives, and FREENAS OS (or something similar).

Warning, nostalgic rant ahead, but still might be a good read:
    Oh and to the other folks who like linux, I was a Slackware and SUSE linux fanboi back circa 10~15 years ago. Had SLACK on my PC and I put SUSE on my dad's business PC (Yes, we PAID for linux for it, because it was a business and that was the right thing to do), because my father looked at too many things I cannot mention on a PG-rated-or-better forum :)
    Linux Mint is very nice and simple and is rather straight-forward to install things, where Arch is a little more power-user-friendly but gives you much more ability to build from source out of the box.
    I am just glad the days of "dependency hell" are behind us...mostly. Heck, I tried distro's back then that didn't even come with GCC installed.
    It's sure come a LONG way since I first tried a copy of REDHAT or GENTOO about 20 years ago around the end of 1997. I am 99% sure I tried REDHAT 1st though, as it didn't even come with the Xserver configured or anything. When I did configure it back then, I was telling it "Matrox MGA/Mystique / Millenium 2 " and "1280x1024x32bit" or "1600x1200x32bit" resolution and such (I had 2 pc's, one card in each).
    "Sound blaster" soundcard for sound. Sure ran the DOOM editor well!
    Yes, I am a Matrox fan, or was until the Voodoo 5 5500 64mb came to town. Those days will be cherished forever. Editing DOOM maps, playing Fallout 1 & 2, Whiplash, Transport Tycoon, things like that, as a teenager.

Still not wanting to put Windows 10 on here, heck with that. When 7 is not maintained anymore beyond year 2020, this i7 will have Linux on it, and I am fine with that, if Beamng.drive works on it, fine, if not, well, then it's going to have to go (even though I love making stuff for this game). I don't like the new Windows, my data IS NOT for sale or for the taking, and it does NOTHING that the current Windows cannot do, except directX12 that nothing I am interested in (and not much at all) uses. Sheesh. What a wreck that OS is, except for Email, it's good for Email surfers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Yup! im aware lol. I installed NAS4free on that computer and bought some HDD for it(wd reds). That machine has since been taken apart. Im just gonna say its windows caching the folder.

ALSO

holy crap. I just found my 1,091 line batch game. And thats just to get some town functions(bank, money saving, work, experience, shop, stats, item counter) and other various things that are not part of the story. Im feeling the need to finish it.

edit
    just counted the lines that actually make it a story. 270 lines. Out of 1090. And at least a quarter of those 270 are not in use currently

#6319 Narwhal, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

A game in a bat file? If that's what you're saying, send it over when you're done, I still use dos here (mostly DOSBOX), (and I also made an FM-synth* on steroids, for anyone who wants this), so I would entirely try this.
    OK OK since we're talking stuff like 90s and DOS...
    Good thing about my synth is it works in Windows too, so all my older apps have decent midi backend support that doesn't sound like, well, a backend! So if anyone plays dos games that use the 330 General Midi port, let me know (send a message, post on here) and I'll post a link to my synth file and demo midis. Makes Doom/Duke3d/ROTT/TTD/Whiplash/Warcraft1 / 2 / Descent / Heretic / Hexen etc all sound great, closer to GUS sometimes than traditional FM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice