General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Guys, if i get a evga gtx 970, is my i5 4670k going to bottleneck it in beamng? or will i be fine? also what type of performance increase you think i will see if i upgrade to a 970 from my gtx 760?

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Your CPU wouldn't bottleneck any card.
    A GTX 970 is much better than a 760, but don't get EVGA, their cooler is rubbish:

(imported from here)

3. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

4. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

i would get the 970 strix thats what i have and the fans are almost silent (i have a metal case and its rattly)

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have the MSI GTX970, its really nice. Then again all gtx970's are very nice.
    In terms of the Strix vs the MSI card. The MSI has more power in pins which means that (in theory) you can put more power into it to clock it higher. The MSI card also has larger fans which should help keep the card cooler. But the reality of the GTX970 is that you really wont see much difference between any of the nicer cards.

On the topic of EVGA, they have two different models of cooler, the ACX2.0 cooler is very good, just as good as the rest. The ACX1.0 cooler is not as good and is the one pictured above by Bluescreen. There is nothing wrong with the EVGA card as long as you get the ACX2.0 model of cooler.

6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Trying to set up my HP with the one low profile tuner card I could find. I could only find drivers for a very similar card, but they seem to work. I also did a better ghetto mount for the 2.5 media HDD and redid the cable management. Took it upstairs and plugged it into the outdoor digital antenna. Works great. Just need to make/buy an antenna because our old small one broke.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Actually I think the ACX 2.0 was the bad one.

Also, I'd get the MSI. I'm getting one. It's higher clocked than the ASUS out of the box and can draw more power. Also has individual fan control to be even quieter.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

9. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

alright. thanks guys! i think ill get the msi one when i have enough(i need to sell some things).

10. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

As other people said, it won't bottleneck. 4670k is pretty powerful. You'd want to overclock it before you buy a new one.

Don't let their past ruin their reputation. :)

MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA - all gode choices, but not limited to those though. EVGA coolers weren't good before, but they have fixed a lot now, it's on par with Asus and MSI on many models. But EVGA makes good cards anyway.

Why is the parts many years old? Is it an used PC?

#470 Stian Aarskaug, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  11. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I'm in the process of building this PC. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/V9GYt6 I'm going to buy my video card locally. I don't know if I should start off with a Core i3 or a Pentium G3258 (OCed of course). It's going to end up being upgraded to an i5 or i7. I just really want to get ride of my "miracle machine."

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Get the Pentium because cheap. Also get a better board for upgrading. Check out my guide, I made some pcpartpicker builds for different budgets and they're linked there.

Because why not. I just love first gen i7's. And the GTX 295 is awesome too. No SSDs since they were rare and pretty crap back then.

13. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

14. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

If you're gonna upgrade anyways I'd take the OC-able CPU.

And I'd take an SSD too.
    Crucial MX100 are pretty good.
    Don't buy Samsung 840 EVO, they are expensive, have lower lifespan and there's issue with that particular model that are still not resolved.
    Intel drives are great. SanDisk drives are great. OCZ was not great, but after getting bought by Toshiba it seems they are pretty solid now. Crucial drives are great. Samsung drives are great, but not the 840 EVO. Where I live the MX100 is the best choice.
    Oh, I almost forgot, whatever you do, don't buy the Kingston V300!!! But if you see a Kingston HyperX 3K on sale, costing roughly the same as the MX100, go for it.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/logoster/saved/LHLYcf

for siblings, thoughts?

only thing i'm worried about is needing bios updates, while PCPP doesn't warn about needing any, i'd still like to be sure that i don't end up having to buy an old fm2+ cpu to update the bios to support kaveri cpu's

16. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

That board should support it out f the box, but my AMD CPU knowlege is very limited. I might upgrade the board a bit anyway to get more power phases. I realize it isn't a 8350 but it'll still chug watts, especially overclocked. You can honestly cut $80 out by going with a cheaper case too, though the h440 is a dream case.

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Ordered a 128gb mSATA SSD for my laptop. It currently has a 32gb ssd which was set to be cache from factory in the raid controller but I've disabled that now so its a standalone drive.

Dad is also replacing the HDD for me (or ordering one I should say, of course I'm installing it...) on the basis that the factory hard disk failed when I need my laptop for uni and the 250gb spare I scavenged is too small.

Going to whack windows on SSD when I get it.

18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Case is way too expensive for that build. Try this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bluescreen1985/saved/hD7dnQ

Costs a bit more, but you get a more powerful CPU and a much more powerful GPU.

19. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Should I get a new cooler for the G3258? Or can I just use the stock cooler?

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

G3258 is going to be fine on stock cooler. Anything else, new cooler, intel stock is simply crap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice