General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Scratch that with a little gentle and caring persuasion With a hammer... I got It working again but it still refuses to detect all 12GB of ram...

2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Clean contacts?

3. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Tried. Weird thing is that the bios sees them It just doesn't acknowledge them. When I try to boot Windows with ram installed in those slots it just says Detecting DRAM... and then the whole computer shuts off and turns on again.

4. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Ay dee kay. Sounds like dirty contacts to me, or maybe a failed slot.

5. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

My guess would be the two slots have failed, or I just need to go in harder with de oxit this time around.

6. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

It's weird alright, I mean if the slots weren't working it wouldn't detect the ram sticks yet it does they're just not "enabled".

7. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

When one of my RAMs contacts got dirty my BIOS and Windows recognized the 8GB I had at the time but only 4GB was usable. Cleaned the contacts with a cloth and rubbing alcohol and it worked fine afterwards.

8. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Apparently I've ran out of Isopropyl alcohol so I just ordered some hopefully it will be here soon and I can clean these slots properly.

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

It's like a buck at grocery stores.. But anyway, is the RAM compatible and working and everything in the first place?

10. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Okay, if that doesn't work (which it definitely should), that could be a loose connection.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to england, most supermarkets dont have it.

Its not hard to pop to B&Q, wicks, screwfix, gibbs and dandy, jewsons or even fucking wilko though

12. Ukkone...

Ukkone...
    Expand Collapse

Finally bought more ram! I know that there must be few purist who feels sick when they see this :D IMG_0094[1].JPG

13. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I like to order 99.9% pure isopropanol from proton lab's because its good for cleaning my albums when they get a little to crackly spent £7 on a liter bottle. The ram is 100% compatible it's been with this motherboard since it was new so the seller said, all checks fine in prime95 too.

14. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Wow my I got "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" BSOD after uninstalling Paragon HFS+. Thankfully my drive isn't damaged and since I have another one in my computer (can't remember why, oh yeah, Hackintosh :p), I used this one to install windows 10 again and and copy all my files here. Thanks Paragon and Microsoft...

15. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

I have plans to change a few things in my PC on xmas or my birthday, I'm going PSU shopping and I need to confirm that this https://www.pccasegear.com/products/22271 is good for my rig.

Also, it says ATX, does that mean anything size wise? My case is normal size.

Annnd one more thing, Seagate has some lost $ per GB drives, is that because its low quality or are they just cheap? https://www.pccasegear.com/products/19692 I don't want to invest into a poopy HDD.

16. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

ATX is a standard mainboard, and for Mini- and Micro-Towers as well as Barebones there are smaller Mini- and Micro-ATX mainboards.
    EDIT: The HDD has 6GB/s SATA III, that means it's quite fast, actually the only thing that is slowing it down is the SATA port speed. It's quite nice. (Who was that dank guy who said the famous sentence "DO IT!!!" ?)

#2616 Deleted member 126452, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
  17. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Also: Go here: http://powersupplycalculator.net/ and enter your specs and how you want to clock. Then you get a maximum watt number that you can base your minimum PSU requirement on.

18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Almost.
    ATX boards are by standard no larger than 305x244mm. Some low end boards are smaller.
    There's Micro-ATX (also mATX or uATX) which is a shorter ATX, up to 244x244mm in size. Again many lower end boards are smaller than this.
    Then there's Mini-ITX (or just ITX) which is even smaller, 170x170mm. Since this is pretty much the bare minimum of space required to fit all the necessary parts, all ITX boards are the same size.

On the larger side there's E-ATX which can be wider than ATX, usually only fits in full tower cases and is only for the extreme high-end parts (IE Intel X platforms).

There are other form factors, but they aren't used in consumer PCs.

19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Get a modular, or at least semi modular PSU. Unless you have an extremely tight budget. For your PC 650W will be fine, and leave you some room for future upgrades.

Also, if you have some money to spare, go for an RMi or at least RM series. They're 80+ gold rated and use much better quality components (RMi have all japanese caps for example).

20. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I've had three Seagate hard drives fail me now, I would go for western digital if I where you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice