General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

There wasn't a lot of EVs 10 years ago.

Anyway, here's a bit of info on high-mileage Teslas:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/359939/tesla-model-s-900000-kilometers-odometer/amp/

https://mobile.twitter.com/teslamiles

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tesloop.com/blog/2019/2/6/tesloops-high-mileage-teslas?format=amp

150k miles is puny in comparison.

2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Here's the thing, 10 years ago electric vehicles were nowhere near as popular or prevalent as they are today, so how in the F are we going to know how long they last? Are you trying to refer to the General Motors EV1? Those didn't last very long because General Motors decided to be morons and trash the majority of them.

And just so you know, cars lasting no more than 10 years isn't exclusive to EVs. There are internal combustion engine automobiles that go kaput before a decade passes. So put your cherries back in the tree.

JFC, nobody's doing that. If there truly is somebody out there who believes that they are infallible, they're only lying to themselves. Nothing is infallible, and that applies not just to EVs, but ICEVs too.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

Plans for my 1993 Mazda Miata, Hopefully next year I will be on Road Atlanta, and Gingerman Raceway in Michigan.
    I really want to track this Miata, But I probably will buy another one for track thrashing. This is a special Miata for me, I bought it with 67,000 miles, and Just last week I reached 70,000 miles on the Odometer. itsok.jpg Miata2.jpg

Attached Files:

• ScreenShot2019-12-03at30525AM.png
    • ScreenShot2019-12-03at30534AM.png
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

nvm

#16364 aljowen, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

That feeling when the neighbor's Wrangler has a remote starter but your Grand Cherokee does not

29° out today, first time since ^ that I'm driving in sub-freezing weather. I switched gas stations since then and the car is running much better. Something I've never seen before hapened though, my door lock was frozen shut. Not the door, the locking mechanism. Got in through another door and it thawed soon enough. My mother's Explorer the door latch often froze, but never the lock.

Also, seeing people drive without cleaning thr snow off their car is hilarious and terrifying at the same time. On one hand ice is falling off their roof as they drive and they have no rear window or lights. On the other hand, it's funny to watch a pile of snow drive around.

#16365 ManfredE3, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

To guide the discussion slightly off of Shotgun Chuck being an ignorant fool, anyone remember this monster?

It's AMC's AMX-Turbo PPG pace car (If you couldn't read the ridiculous graphics), in all of it's 400 horsepower turbo straight-six glory. Most likely the fastest american car that year and, by the look of the ride height, is VERY unsafe. I dig it.
    Just goes to show that the early eighties still had a bit of kick after all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

8. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Accepting that a car loses range over any amount of time is just silly. I can easily go full range in an ICE car with 300,000m on the clock.

That's regression in technology if you ask me. After 300,000m a Tesla can go 70 miles for every 100 I can travel (assuming perfect efficiency) is ludicrous.

For the record, I'm not against EV as a whole. I'm against the BEV circlejerk. There are so many better ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

nvm

#16370 aljowen, Dec 3, 2019
  11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I just found out that the cummins Ram 3500 makes 1300 nm of torque. 3 questions:
    Why?
    How?
    Where do i sign up?

12. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

America

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Many so long as you do this little thing called "maintenance." Tires, brakes, and oil is all you need to get a car to whatever mileage you want. Look up how many examples of literally anything have gotten to 1 million or more. It's possible and not even all that hard so long as you take care of your shit.

You seem like the weld-the-hood-closed type.

That's another thing that scares me. People are even less inclined to maintain a car with no engine. They find out they need brakes after the engine starts leaking rather than discovering their electric car has no rotors left and they barrel through an intersection and kill a family of four on their way home from church.

14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I just found about this funky 80s concept car from Mazda, called the TD-R. It actually was a influencer for what became the NA Miata, despite the fact the concept itself never really made production.

Also, it had gullwing doors (which no production SUV had, until almost 30 years later with the Tesla Model X).

• Like Like x 1
  15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

nvm

#16375 aljowen, Dec 3, 2019
  16. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

>Doesn't own a car
    >Commenting on car ownership experience

K then, m8. You do you.

Also, the average car doesn't make it to 300,000 because, again, they aren't maintained. That's like dying from the flu because you didn't get vaccinated, then went outside without a coat on, then believe that humans only live to be 20. Or blaming an eating disorder because you're fat. You aren't fat, you just don't maintain yourself. It makes no sense.

You people make no sense.

I hate you all.

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Should be noted, EVs have their own braking quirk, notably. They barely use them, the cars primarily use regeration

18. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Electric cars still have suspension, so what is your point?

I am not really ok with electric cars yet because they can't be charged as fast as a fuel tank can be filled, and the infrastructure is not there yet even if they could charge in under 5 minutes. I like to go on road trips, and I can't see myself driving an electric car until charging stations are as common as gas stations and they are quick stops that don't force you to find activities to do as you wait for your car to charge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Counterpoint to your counterpoint, braking systems in northern climates usually still need a regular service, especially if they aren't used very hard or often. I've never worn out a set of pads on my pickup, just had to replace everything because the pistons were corroded and not returning fully. (have I mentioned how much I hate road salt) Not knocking EVs, but I don't think they're as maintenance free as some make them out to be. Especially Teslas with their lackluster QC.

20. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I just realised something:
    1974-BMW-2002-Turbo-owo.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice