General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I kinda like the idea of putting a new engine in a old car like putting a 1.9 tdi in a old Audi 80 B3. Why a 1.9 tdi? It gets 200hp easily and still sips diesel (friend of mine got his to 3.5l). The other alternative would be the 1.8 Turbo from the Golf mk4 also easily gets 240hp but uses a bit more gas (still only 7l wich is nothing). Also funnily putting a modern engine in a old car is actually pretty easy to make legal over here just as long the brakes are big enough.

2. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Same thing but on a larger scale, I eventually want to put a Duramax diesel in my 89 Suburban. More power, way more torque, better fuel economy, and the sound, the glorious sound. Plus my burb is still based on the same platform as the squarebody pickups so there are few companies that make swap kits that include just about everything you need.

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Thats a awesome idea but sadly we dont get those nice engines here. If i were to have the LS easily available id swap it into a Opel Omega or something else from GM

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

If you think about it, the torque curve from a modern turbo diesel is quite similar to a large (lazy?) push rod V8, a V8 diesel isn't far off one, only problem is turbolag and the noise. Maybe a noise enhancement thing is possible, however the diesel clatter outside is a problem..

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

A diesel can actually sound quite nice espacially v8 diesels sadly a european i4 diesel sound like sh*t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of diesel, I’m in the process of pricing out a Cummins 4BT swap in my Jeep.

• Like Like x 1
  7. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I generally dont get that dieselbashing anyway yes VW cheated Emmissions but why throw the diesel as a whole under the bus?

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Nitrogen emissions alongside particulate emissions. It still has its place though (for now) . Considering how many decades "car culture" has been treating diesel like the Spawn of Satan, I'm surprised how many car people are upset that it will be going away. Even if it does seem that nobody told VAG about falling diesel sales.

#16348 aljowen, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I need to swap my Buick.
    Anyone got money to buy a GM 572 big block.

10. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I was never apart of the diesel bashing. I like the torque they produce. I love big, lazy engines.

I never understood diesel bashing in the first place.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think the reason a lot of people would give is that they don't like how they sound. People did also claim that they were slow or performed badly etc, which isn't true, but probably stemmed from truth regarding the fact that Diesels are heavier and therefore less suitable for sports cars.

In a vaccum (metaphorically speaking) I think Diesels are pretty good. And yes, new diesels are cleaner than old ones, but they still aren't great polution wise (especially for shorter journeys). For long haul vehicles such as lorries, currently they make sense given what vehicles are on the market. Whether that will still be true in 5-10 years, ehhh... idk.

12. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Personally I've always really liked the sound of most diesels, especially with a nice free flowing muffler. Straight pipes are usually too loud and obnoxious.
    (skip to 5:28 for the best part)
    As for emissions, they're better in some ways and worse in others. Definitely no good for cities with lots of cars where the soot can hang in the air, but that doesn't apply for me. Just about anything is better than the TBI 350 in it right now that makes V6 horsepower with V8 fuel economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Interrestingly a diesel doesnt harm the enviroment much more than a electric car with normal electricity. Also sorry for the german picture.

Attached Files:

• klimabilanz-treibhausgas-emissionen-golfklasse-1910-720x540.jpg
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That's only carbon dioxide emissions, nitrogen oxides are wayyyyyy high

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Can you post a link to where that came from? (Edit, got it: https://www.adac.de/verkehr/tanken-kraftstoff-antrieb/alternative-antriebe/klimabilanz/)

In order to calculate that data, there are some assumptions that they must have made and I am interested to see how they made them. For example, to calculate the manufactoring cost per km, they would have to assume how many miles a car will travel within its lifetime.

Equally, if you got a brand new 2019 civic, and a 10 year old 2019 civic, the 10 year old model is going to have far worse emmisions. This tends to happen as cars age, both as the cat becomes less effective over time and as the engine does too. With an electric vehicle, the emmisions will likely go down as the vehicle ages, since renewable energy is becoming an increasing percentage of total production over time.

But as 6677 mentions, that is only 1 specific pollutant. There is far more too it than carbon dioxide alone.

--- Post updated ---

Ok, so ADAC are assuming that all cars are crushed after 225k km (140k miles). Current evidence would suggest that EV's will have no issues surpassing that. Equally you can see from the image below that they have not taken into account how energy generation is changing over the lifespan of the vehicle.

So for sure take that as a worst case scenario as far as electric vehicles are concerned. The same may also be true of hydrogen since it relies on electricity generation to produce the fuel.

I also want to make it clear that EV's have problems too. For me to own an EV would be environmentally irresponsible, I don't forsee myself driving enough miles for it to ever make sense. For people who drive a lot, an EV is an excelent choice, for people who drive less, maybe hydrogen will make sense(?), then for infrequent users, maybe something like Bird (electric scooters) but with EV's where you use it and then dump it somewhere for the next nearby person to use.

#16355 aljowen, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

For me a EV doesnt make that much sense also i drive much but not enough so that it would pay itself of with Emmission savings also i often drive long distances an EV cant make it without recharging. So for me the diesel is the best option (although i currently dont have one).

17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

At least half the points I've ever made about EVs, confirmed in a single survey.

19. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Which evidence? An ICE could last 15 to even 25 years. Well I never heard of an EV lasts more than 10 years. You know that batteries have very limited cycle life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Finally someone other than me says it. So tired of people pretending that EVs and anything that replaces a human with a computer is perfect and faultless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice