General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

As someone who did 2,500km of highway driving last week, I can say a quiet, comfortable, automatic car would have been much nicer. Fun cars have their place but they're not the be-all and end-all. My ideal garage would have at least two cars: a nice classic for driving when I want to and a well-equipped modern car for driving when I have to.

2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I think electric cars find their own ways of being cool. One of them being since they lack an engine block, that's extra storage space.

I will agree that electric cars do have downsides though. IMO, electric cars being quiet is a double-edged sword. One of the biggest problems I see is with pedestrians, especially if they are not paying attention, and animals. Then again, I do remember hearing about companies like Audi developing sounds that mimic gas powered engines for them, which I do think would make electric cars a lot safer for pedestrians.

And another downside I do see to them, is since they use electricity as their source of power, they could run up your electric bill if you charge them at home.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

But electricity is cheaper than gas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

There are laws being phased in in various places, including the US, requiring them to make sounds at low speeds. I know the Nissan Leaf makes a little futuristic whirring noise and it sounds pretty cool tbh.

5. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

each to their own, but steam lorries are the peak of automotive engineering. They even double as a heater!

/s

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Watch out this week: Pokemon Go (because apparently that’s still a thing) is having some kind of “adventure week” which starts today; players receive rewards for walking around with the app active, up to 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) during the week. Be aware of even more people walking and biking on inappropriate roads for at least the next week. Some people have found cheeky workarounds like stuffing their phone in their sock and bouncing their foot up and down while sitting at their desk, but not everyone will be doing that.

Unless you live in a place where no one remembers Pokemon Go, in which case lucky you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Does this count:

The camber is perhaps a bit much for me visually, but if it works it works I guess. Presumably more of a drift oriented setup than track setup, despite what they say in the video.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I've never thought of the third gen Camaro's as drag cars, but I just saw one at a stoplight that was set up for drag racing. Wow. Guy pretty much accidentally did a burnout and a wheelie at the stoplight at the same time.

Car looked great too. Flat white, looked stock from the back, big flat black cowl hood.

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Super late because super busy IRL, but Insignia.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

How big is your dog?...

12. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

We don't actually have a dog now, but a large Labrador like we used to have wouldn't be able to sit or stand there. The Insignia's trunk is surely quite long and wide, but the roof above it is very low.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Modern car culture in a nutshell

upload_2019-6-9_14-4-23.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

My Mountaineer's transmission is fucked up. This is the 3rd transmission failure I've had to deal with in the past 14 months. All on separate vehicles.

#15334 Potato, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that's an issue I'm afraid of with my new project.

I'm doing a Roadkill style adventure soon.

16. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

The Suburban's transmission went from slow leak to puking all of its fluid within a day. The work truck had a sensor go out that caused the torque converter to continuously and violently unlock and lock at highway speeds. My personal Dodge pickup however has had no issues, because it's a manual.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Three Pedal Mafia represent!

• Like Like x 1
  18. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Broke: see your money go down the tank during each trip.

Woke: only use your car when it's worth it.

19. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Almost every night when I'm lying in my bed, I hear engines revving loud and tires screeching in the distance. And I've always been waiting for a loud bang after every tire screech and thinking, "One night these hoons are going to learn their lesson the hard way". Now, this night has come.
    It was some minutes past two. I was lying in my bed trying to fall asleep. Suddenly, a revving engine broke the silence. Seconds later, I heard a car's tires screech, but it sounded a bit different than usually - like a cry of a terrified being - and it was cut short by a loud BANG. I looked out of the window, but there was nothing extraordinary outside. As if there could be - I knew the crash happened a block away on a bigger road. I even knew the exact spot where it happened - a 90* bend following a stretch of straight road - the speed limit's 50 km/h there, but it's long enough to reach three times that speed. Then I opened the window so I could hear something, but nothing again - the peaceful rustling of leaves was only interrupted by the chirps of a lonely bird. I had a bizarre feeling - a terrible event has just happened in this peaceful night, but didn't disturb its peace.
    In the morning, I went to that exact corner. I was right - this is what I saw:
    IMG_4933.jpg IMG_4935.jpg IMG_4936.jpg IMG_4929.jpg IMG_4930.jpg
    The guardrail prevented the car from flying over the sidewalk and smashing through the fence into someone's garden (but numerous small pieces still found their way onto the lawn) - or smashing into a massive concrete block if it went a little more to the right.
    IMG_4938.jpg
    So, we know the make but not the model. I am trying to identify it now, feel free to help me if you wish. There weren't much distinctive parts left on the scene. I found these two:
    IMG_4939.jpg IMG_4940.jpg
    Then there's a J-shape chrome trim piece lying upside down on the sidewalk (next to an intake piece) and a piece of a light on the road near the curb - you can see them in previous photos. That branded black plastic piece has two sets of numbers on it (51.11 and 99-08) - perhaps they show when the car was manufactured? 51th week of 2011? 99th week of 2008? 8th week/month of 1999?
    Again, feel free to help me identify this car.

20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

My guess is on a BMW 7-Series E38, with those wide grilles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice