General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

whelp, just ordered a new right side catalytic converter assembly off summit racing for 169$. Hopefully i can put it on myself. Anyone have any idea on how hard it would be?

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Not hard at all, option A, return the cat and get your money back, weld in a piece of pipe, put a O2 bung in it, do the same on the other side, be happy.

Option B. if you like the boring life, or you have inspections, you can either weld it in, or if you don't have a welder you can get two pipe adapters and four exhaust clamps. Should take about 10 minutes.

Ah, you live MO I see, you have inspections, you can't get rid of them.
    Where exactly do you live? I'm about 30 miles north of Alton on the Illinois side.

3. axistookmyname

axistookmyname
    Expand Collapse

http://nowasyrena.pl/ you knew about this? (I know that the site is writen in Polish, but you can see the images atleast :p)

4. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

Actually upon further inspection, it seems that the whole assembly is just bolted on. So I should be able to just unbolt the old one and put on the new one with new 02 thing.

I live in south county stl.

5. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, the front cats are mounted on two ~3 foot pieces of tube that bolt to the exhaust manifolds and y/x pipe. They can be pretty stubborn to get off, though, because they get so hot they pretty much weld themselves together. I'd recommend soaking them with PB blaster once a day for a few days before you try and take them off.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Hope that all is good (as it can be) for all involved.

7. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It's turning out about as good as a crash like that can. No one was hurt, my grandma wasn't at fault, and the lexus probably won't be totalled. Also, pretty much confirmed I blew out the pinion seal in my diff driving like an idiot. Of course a new leak shows up just as soon as I get the parts in to fix the existing one.

#1487 Potato, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  8. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

3 imports getting some "Pontiac" & "Chevy" parts to be "U.S legal". Once back in working order, 3 lucky yanks will get to buy these.
    UsFan191.jpg

9. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Hard choice.

10. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

Well, I am actually in an automotive tech class at south tech hs instead of the normal elective crap, and my teacher told me i could take my car in next week and install it using shop tools. :)

whoops tagged wrong post lol. Hope everything turns out ok though.

11. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I'd love to have a lift to put my car on. Rolling around on the ground really sucks.
    I should get to know the teachers of the automotive class at school. They have a hell of a garage. I think it's like 5 bays with a couple of lifts.
    Anyway, best of luck to you.

12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

RE: Catalytic Converter

It's actually a federal felony carrying up to a $25,000 fine and some jail time if you remove a functioning catalytic converter, or damage it so you have an excuse to remove it, even if you replace it with a better one right away.

Yes, I despise this law. Yes, I'm appalled at what passes for freedom anymore. What can I do...

This is a big part of the reason why I think the "felony = no guns or voting ever again" rule ought to be looked at. There are some felonies that should carry such restrictions, but we have so many idiotic laws like this one that there really should be some distinction made.

13. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

eh, what the gov't doesn't know wont hurt them.

14. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

They do know about it now, thanks to the National Insecurity Agency. Who knows, an overzealous federal prosecutor might find your post someday.

Other miscellaneous legal absurdity: as you probably don't know, some months ago I got pulled over for stretching my legs way too far on the highway. I was wrong and an idiot, and I know it, but I figured I might be able to whine my way out of the ticket because I was poor and there were several discrepancies in it. It didn't work, but that's beside the point. The point is: the first time I went in, for my preliminary hearing, I watched a group of about five guys get pulled up on a class A misdemeanor, carrying up to a $10,000 fine and a year in a gray room, for... washing their freaking ATVs in a creek. Because they might have crushed some salmon eggs in the process. I'm at a loss for words.

15. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

You could always hollow out the cat.
    That may mess with the sound, amplifying it or something, but I don't know. I'm not too well versed on exhaust stuff,

16. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Found this video on CarThrottle... Look at all those glorious BeamNG-like floppy bodypanels :D

#1496 Mythbuster, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Chances are no judge would actually prosecute for replacement of 1 cat with another though.

18. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Is there a new way of testing the frontal offset crash or was this an exception of some kind?

Normally it looks like the offset tests are done with the barrier about half way along the bonnet, with the crash stopping the car dead. This one basically scraped by the barrier, essentially "peeling" away the side of the car and not stopping it.

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

This is a small overlap test, the overlap is therefore small ;)

20. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

As 6677 posted, yes, that is a small overlap test. Something like 15% of the frontal area contacts the barrier, whereas the standard overlap is 45%. Most cars don't glance off the barrier; that was Volvo being Volvo. If you take a look at videos of other cars, you'll find that a lot of them snag on the barrier and spin off to the side after shedding a significant amount of energy. They do glance slightly though, and that force is often enough to get the dummy's head to slip in between the curtain and steering wheel airbags, #rekking a lot of safety ratings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice