General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I hope you die in a tree crash.
    OT: i feel saddened seeing these photo's of cars.

i never got a chance to see a 70's GM Colonnade in real life, so this is pretty sad to see it get turned to scrap metal in a derby.

Reminded me of my uncle's Holden Kingswood HQ, which became like the Corolla in the photo, except the Corolla is not crumpled into a million pieces and in a junkyard.

Depressing to see a T-top Firebird look like this.

2. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Live fast, die stupid and what the hell is tree crash? A tree who partied hard. I think you meant "Die in a car accident".

#8822 nosraenyr kcirtap kcin, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I heard a rumor that France is going to ban the sale and ownership of combustion-powered car next year, the UK in 2020. @Ulrichou86 or another French member, can you confirm/deny?

4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Almost 100% certified BS. There is no way that they will ban ownership of ICE cars next year, there would be riots in the streets.

Equally, I highly doubt the UK would do that either. I think the UK has "committed" to 2040 though. IMO ICE might not make it that far anyway. I think governments are seeing 2040 as a safe bet, since they probably don't expect ICE to last that long. Hence they can say things that appeal to certain voters without having to put any extra effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

No way that's happening, they are just doing it to look "progressive" doing that would lock every person in the country buying a new car to a selection of like 30 cars, all of which are stupid prices compared to a normal car. It would likely just ruin the car industry in the country, second hand market would take off though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Not to mention that most of the French car companies don't make any non ICE vehicles yet.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

UK is banning registration of new internal combustion vehicles in 2040. Note registration. Vehicles in UK are registered when new only, the law will not impact existing vehicles on the roads

8. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

It'll be in 2040. In 2020 only diesel cars will be ban.

9. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Crown Vics look so dumb when the rear panel is colour matched to the body
    2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

It appeared in a dumb movie, so...
    yes, i hate newer F&F movies, older ones are better and have more to do with cars

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Renault has a whole range of electric vehicles already and has also access to Samsung, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz technologies. They are also known for researching hydrogen and fuel cells for automotive propulsion.

PSA was a pioneer in the field (they made electric cars for Europe when no one else but FIAT did), has various hybrids and mild-hybrids in their current range, had a partnership with Mitsubishi that spawned two i-MIEV derivatives, has an ongoing partnership with Toyota and the chinese group Dongfeng and can also count on GM for the development of future EVs (they own OPEL and the rights over the "Ampera" range now).

France also has one of the best and most-widespread public infrastructures for recharging in Europe.

The incoming restrictions are meant to hit Diesel-powered vehicles, yet if there's one European country that could ban ICE vehicles in 2 years, that's France.

12. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you can ban ICE engines/vehicles completely in the near futur. Electric vehicles make only sense when they are powerer with renewable energy. My guess is, diesel is not dead the next 20 years and methane, natural gas and of course electric is the futur, near futur.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Eh, in terms of energy output per gram of co2 emitted, most power stations are cleaner than the internal combustion engine anyway. So yeah an electric car is still being charged by fossil fuel, it's being done so cleaner.
    Gas plants in particular even have less other emissions.
    France in particular, very far behind in generic renewables like hydro, wind and solar, but has insane nuclear output of 76% total grid capacity in 2012 and thought to be higher since. Only a little under 10% of France's grid is gas/oil/coal. So yeah France may well be able to justify the electric car quicker.
    Of course nuclear power has its own issue when it goes wrong and there's the question of waste disposal. But on the assumption it doesn't, it's otherwise clean.
    --- Post updated ---
    Should also be noted, France have a massively excess production over what they need, they're the world's largest electricity exporter

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I've read that if all vehicles in Germany became electric, German CO2 emissions would become 20% bigger.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Renault has quite a few. However Peugeot doesn't make any full electric vehicles yet, neither does Citroën, neither does microcar, etc etc.

None of those brands have any plans to go full EV accross their entire range of vehicles before 2020.
    --- Post updated ---
    Only if they are Volkswagen electric vehicles :p

16. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

2017 Honda Ridgeline's designers upload_2017-10-2_6-38-26.jpeg "So let's put a truck bed on a crossover."

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Makes perfect sense actually, since that is what lots of people use them for.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

True.

19. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I can't pretend I agree with even this, especially if it targets existing cars and not just new ones, but it does at least make some sense. Diesels do have their theoretical advantages over gasoline but are overall inferior for any use that does not involve heavy towing and hauling. They do get good fuel economy, but they barf out particulates and the reason they're always turbocharged nowadays is that they're FREAKING SLOW. You want a car that's immune to tickets, except for obstructing traffic? Try an N/A diesel. For a long time, even turbodiesels made significantly less power than gasoline engines of the same size, and needed significant tuning to reach even a fraction of their potential, though this has changed recently. A diesel tuned for racing by a true diesel master (see: Gale Banks and his crew) will smoke less or not at all, which probably indicates reduced particulate emissions, but for some reason, perhaps cost, OEs don't seem able to make a diesel that clean (YouTube videos indicate that a super-tuned diesel will also sound just like a gasoline engine, albeit a low-revving one.)

20. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Haha, 8 years ago European governments said: "Ditch your petrol clunker, take a new diesel car, it is much more fuel efficient". Now they say: "Diesel cars are horribly polluting, they are the root of all evil, they kill thousands of people each year, we are going to ban selling of new diesel cars and ban existing ones from entering major cities".
    10/10 troll of the century award

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice