General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

can also damage some of the seals and the valve seats. Unleaded does the same in a leaded engine though, even more so, the valves can weld themselves shut over time.

either engine will run short term just fine though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

So today Mercedes-Benz got banned from using their Airscarf system on convertibles and roadsters. Some guy patented it 10 years ago and Mercedes used it without his consent, now they have to deactivate it in new and used vehicles (only sold in Germany) and pay the creator for every car delivered to customers with Airscarf. Luckily for MB, the patent protection is going to run out in 7 months.
    At least justice has been served.

3. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

So I discovered that this thing exist.
    Daewoo-Veritas-21.jpg autowp.ru_daewoo_veritas_15.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. blueshift

blueshift
    Expand Collapse

5. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

Did you move to the states or do you still live in Australia? Or maybe your on a vacation.

6. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

google images.

7. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

Oh

8. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Its actually a re-badged Holden Caprice (re-badged as the Chevrolet Caprice in the US & middle east)
    Facebook actually, Im friends with the guy who imports & builds utes & wagons in the USA.

9. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

Cool. But doesn't a car have to be 25 to be imported here?

• Like Like x 1
  10. blueshift

blueshift
    Expand Collapse

Yup, a car must be 25 before being imported to our country of 'Murica.

11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Not really. A car can be imported to the U.S. legally as long as the chassis of the vehicle is comperable to a vehicle already sold here. This is why it's so easy to import Holden Commodores to the U.S., as they're basically the Chevy Caprice and Chevy S.S. with the steering wheel on the wrong side. They can also be easily insured, as they're basically the same car as previously mentioned. And, no, you can't import, say, a BMW 5-Series wagon under this rule, as the chassis has some variations and a U.S. counterpart was never sold.

The 25 rule is for vehicles not originally sold in the U.S. or never had a U.S. counterpart. A famous example is the Nissan Skyline. Because the R30, R31, and R32 variants are all 25 years old or older, they are coming to the U.S. by the boat load.

• Like Like x 4
  12. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

He imports crashed Holdens from Australia & buys crashed Chevys/Pontiacs then uses enough US spec parts on the Holdens to make them legal in the states.

13. GLion

GLion
    Expand Collapse

That's cool.
    In here from what I've heard you need to make the car LHD before importing the car or they won't register it ( unless it was a classic).

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

US and Canada have no requirement for a vehicle to be LHD.

15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I know people using c16 wich is leaded race fuel. It's nasty stuff and i have seen first hand what it does to an o2 sensor and cats. That's the price you pay to get to run diesel Compression ratios I suppose.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah though you might aswell just go turbo e85

• Like Like x 1
  17. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more. In the us e85 is partially subsidized, helping offset the 30 percent more you need on average. The only reason I don't use it in my Honda (besides tuning costs and injectors blah blah) is availability. I would need to have either another ecu with a regular map on it, or I'd need to carry a laptop so I can plug into Hondata and change the maps on the fly. For my 1.6 200hp engine it's super not worth it to pick up 10 more hp.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

if that. Ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline. On a naturally aspirated motor, unless you have a way of increasing your compression you are more likely to lose power. Its only benefit is anti knock, can run some insane boost which offsets for its otherwise lower power output.

Though better than either of those options, aftermarket ECU + flexfuel sensor. Can map an engine to detect and compensate for percentage of ethanol without manual intervention which is pretty sweet. Haltech love to big up that possibility, though thats not a cheap way to go.

19. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I've seen a a witch able kit like that in my old bosses sons fr-s. He did a full exhaust and a dyno tune on e85 and he made 190 at the wheel. I'd get tuned in 93 octane and get way closer to 200whp than he did I'm not impressed. I was looking at 5k to turbo the civic and make it a killer. I bought a pretty fast bike for 2k so I think I'll keep the civic as a fun sporty daily and leave the adrenaline farming to the bike.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The MCM mini, gramps and double unicorn builds all use a haltech elite standalone ECU with a flexfuel map. You tune a basemap on pump gas and then an E85 map. ECU has the ethanol content of each saved, it can then detect any ethanol amount between the base and E85 maps with the flexfuel and adjust itself accordingly. Theoretically means you dont have to drain the tank of E85 before filling up on pump or vice versa. It will just run on the resultant E50 mix.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice