Gearbox for electric cars

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by ZeldaCarFan15, Sep 22, 2020.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

'24

• Like Like x 2
  2. ZeldaCarFan15

ZeldaCarFan15
    Expand Collapse

I tried starting a conversation with Nadeox but there hasn't been a response yet

3. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

The advice of asking Nadeox wasn't actually the best advice, because that's not how it works. Imagine all the pm's the devs would have to handle instead of doing what devs are doing (?) :) As Diamondback mentioned, the only correct way to do this is to create a new shift logic lua file which is a pretty beefy chunk of new code. If you use the current code then the gearbox 'thinks' the engine is combustion powered. That's not the worst scenario though if you imagine you're a home brewing custom vehicle modder :p Maybe in real life one could mess a bit with the electronics too, tricking the system until works. After all that's what I did. In fact, I find little evidence of failure in my 'hasty' setup. The engine debug streams don't pickup flywheel torque and that's about it I think. Okay, maybe a few other details I didn't notice yet but nothing that prevents the system from running smooth. I also noticed that the engine debug app reads 'combustion information' anyhow when using the vanilla eSBR. Like it reads fuel consumption. If you use the normal drive train in combination with the electric motor you can still use the front electric motor on the front axle. However its rpm's are limited and just top out when exceeding a certain speed. I don't know if this would cause stability errors in real life but here the car seems to stay pretty stable. Traditional AWD can also be applied (rear motor only) and keeps the car on the road very well without driving assists. In fact when using only the rear motor or both, with all drive assists the car is rock solid and very agile. Without ESC, TC , ABS and only rear traction the car becomes a rolling brick, at least if you floor it :p

Then there is also the visual aspect. Jbeams and mesh need to be adapted if you want an electric motor to be visibly being connected to a traditional gearbox. To represent a decent simulation everything has to fit, right ? That doesn't have to keep anyone from experimenting of course. I myself just wouldn't share it if it where not representable. It's a nice idea and every now and then I will try to spend some time on it so maybe it can be shared in future.

As a conclusion (from my view) I would say there's two directions to take this concept. One, my current setup, connect traditional gearing to one or two electric motors (two would mean installing a clutch in front as well). And two, install gears in the electric drive train and that would definitely lead into creating dedicated shift logic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ZeldaCarFan15

ZeldaCarFan15
    Expand Collapse

I'm just not that proficient at coding so how will I be able to do something like that...? And I don't know much about 3D modeling either...

5. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hmm.. I would say just try to explore your capabilities, your limits and your motivations. If I wanted to learn marshal arts I would be perfectly capable of, I learned some basics when I was a kid so I simply know. But if I wanted to practice gymnastics like those 'screw shape saltos' and back flips ? Forget it that's a 'No go, NOCARGO ! Not for you !' . So just set your goals and work towards them one at the time.

I see there's been some good advice mentioned above. I took a summer course on the BASIC programming language when I was 13, that's 32 excuse me 29 years ago and I'm modding car games (and flight sim) since 2005 or so. Start simple and take it up from there, that's all I can suggest :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZeldaCarFan15

ZeldaCarFan15
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I've been away from my PC for so long. It's because my internet is down right now and needs to be fixed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice