1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavril T75

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Puking black smoke is a sign that something is wrong, even on a pre-emissions engine. A little smoke before boost is normal, but a well tuned engine shouldn't smoke once the turbo has caught up even under full throttle. The stuff you see at tractor pulls is just for show, there's no reason dump that much extra fuel into the cylinders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't say it always means that something is wrong per se, but it is definitely running rich. Mistuned if on a modified engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I guess I should have said something is wrong, or it's purposely tuned to roll coal.

4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Since I daily drive a car with fully mechanical turbodiesel I may as well clear some stuff here. Yes, when on boost, with good injectors, clear air filters and all that the engine will not make any visible smoke. However, depending on the injection pump of the specific engine, the only reference of how much air the engine actually has is a boost dome that adds fuel as the boost builds. In theory thats perfectly fine to get clean combusion, no smoke and all that. Problem is, if you just mad it at lets say 1200rpm and its tuned to retain any sort of throttle response, it will blow a little puff of smoke until the boost comes in. If injection pump would be tuned to produce no smoke under any circumstances with amount of fine tuning you can actually do in these old things (timing, base fuel, boost fuel and idle fuel position pretty much in case of passenger car from 1998). you just would end up with terrible throttle response, which is why most mechanical diesels even when tuned right and not worn to hell will still smoke a tad if lugged at low rpm.

As much as I'd love to replicate that all in the game, it would require pretty much a redo of the combusion engine simulation. Currently the way smoke works it is just proportional to engine load, which in case of turbocharged vehicle is very much not a case irl, since as the boost builds, the smoke will usually clear up (unless the governor on your old volvo gets stuck, you rev it to 5k rpm and fuel doesn't combust quick enough to rev further resulting in absolute smoke show out the back :D)

• Like Like x 6
  5. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Bummer that realistic smoke would take so much work. The current system does result in some oddities, like the 600hp tune smoking with the smallest loads including the air compressor running.

I polished my wheels the other day
    IMG_3570.jpg IMG_3573.jpg
    It got me thinking about the possibility of the metal dulling on older trucks like the paint fades on older vehicles in career mode. Stainless usually lasts a long time (especially the the stuff that isn't facing forward getting hit by road debris) but aluminum polishing is at least a yearly thing if you want to keep it shiny. It's even worse if you have to deal with road salt. Might be an interesting game mechanic to have to pay to polish your truck if you have a nice truck, or just let it dull if it's a work truck.

And last but not least, I have some feed back on the compression brake, but I thought it might be easier to explain with video and audio vs just text.

I'm not 100% sure why the jake builds boost, and nobody has explained it to me. My best guess is the exhaust valve releasing at the top of the compression stroke creates more flow through the exhaust, that spools the turbo, and the turbo shoves more air in the engine, which means more air to spool the turbo on the next cycle.

• Like Like x 8
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reece Coates

Reece Coates
    Expand Collapse

Be grateful we have it at all, even ATS doesn't, let alone Forza and NFS.

7. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

True, but In think the main reason ATS doesn't have it is manufacturers don't want to see their trucks belching black smoke. Same reason ATS doesn't have visible damage, licensing with real brands.

8. Reece Coates

Reece Coates
    Expand Collapse

Reddit post said they did it to maintain some reasonable amount of realism, which doesn't really make sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Yeah me either. Even a modern emissions engine will "smoke" (really just steam) in a cold environment, and the 389 doesn't have a DEF tank so whatever engine it has would likely smoke a little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blue Bird Gaming

Blue Bird Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Just talking about engine smoke, I found this image that explains the difference colors of smoke
    upload_2024-2-9_6-8-28.jpeg
    I haven’t tested all of this in game but I’m pretty sure there’s already blueish exhaust smoke when the engine is starved of oil or the oil pan gets damaged. And obviously we have black smoke already, but I think it would be nice to have more realistic simulation of all smoke colors and their causes.

I’ve seen white smoke from damaged radiators/ overheating engine and when the engine is immersed in water then dries, but unlike the other types of smoke, I’ve only seen white smoke come directly from the engine bay in game, not through the exhaust.

11. LegThePeg

LegThePeg
    Expand Collapse

Documentation has not been updated with the new T-Series image yet, or the correct years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SSRG

SSRG
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure the vehicles section hasn’t been touched since 0.27/0.28, and also vehicle images are at an even lower priority to update (only nitpicks sweats like us would care), see Grand Marshal & ‘88 Pessima.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Lachy v8

Lachy v8
    Expand Collapse

I don’t know or is it just me that the t series is way to light in the back end cause when driving up a small hill with a trailer on it seems to loos traction way to easy ?

14. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Well, that depends on the factors of the weight of the load, the power of the truck, the grade of the hill, and the type of tire/tire pressure.

15. Jeepster

Jeepster
    Expand Collapse

I think it's more of an issue with traction. Even when scaled out to around 80,000 lbs, with around 36k on the drives, fully locked, I still get wheel spin. Drop the air preassure significantly and the issue goes away but of course that has other reprocussions

16. Obnoxious

Obnoxious
    Expand Collapse

Also depends on the position of the fifth-wheel, and how much the trailer I actually loaded. With the hitch adjusted towards the front of the vehicle, there will be more weight from the trailer put on the front half of the truck while hitches adjusted backwards put less weight on the front and more on the rear.

Also, if the trailer isn't loaded or only slightly weighed down by a small load, the rear ends will lose traction. Considering how heavy semi-truck engines are, this is entirely possible.

Another option is the bulk of the weight in the trailer could be loaded rearward, effectively lifting on the drive axles

I'm guessing the air pressure you're mentioning is airbag pressure. While this does matter, walking-beam suspension tend to let rear ends grip better by spreading load

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jeepster

Jeepster
    Expand Collapse

I mentioned the weight and the balance in my post - but no, I was speaking of tyre preassure.

Suspension preassure can affect it as well, though. Since the game doesnt simulate load levelling between the axles, over inflated bags can effectively take weight off the rear axle.

18. Musicman27

Musicman27
    Expand Collapse

I want that in game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Figured I'd talk about some trailer/trailer options we could see in the future. I've already mentioned some of these in other posts but with some things we've learned about the career mode laborer branch and the recent addition of the hayrack trailer there's some more to add to the discussion.
    • Backdated Trailers: This one I've already talked about a fair bit already in other posts... Currently all of our trailers are modern while the only truck to haul them is older. While that isn't necessarily illogical, it would be nice to have period correct options too. I don't think we need a full compliment of trailers from different eras, but in the cases where it's more or less a modification (or even just a weathered skin) of existing content it would be beneficial to see....
    • 1970DryVanTrailer.jpg
    • Maybe this is because we don't get b-doubles where I live so I'm fascinated by them, but I wish we had more b-double options. For example, the short dryvan could get a b-double version
    • DryvanBdouble.jpg
    • Reefer Trailer: Should be a quick and simple addition to the dryvan trailer and would allow us to actually use the appropriate trailer for a lot of missions we'd currently use the basic dryvan for.
      [*] Refer.jpg
    • Dry Van Aero Kit: While it doesn't really make sense to pair this with the less-than-aerodynamic T-Series, it is a common sight on modern highways and just a modification of an existing trailer
    • Trailer-Tail.jpg
    • Pintle hitch on the tilt deck trailer: Self explanatory, would allow it to be used with the T-Series dump truck
    • Extendable Flatbed: I suggest the extending functionality of the container trailer be added to the existing flat bed trailer. This is a common feature on real world flatbeds and allows for long loads, such as 80' steel rail that is often used in constructing new track
    • ExtendableFlatBed.jpg
    • Car Hauler and enclosed car trailer: Being a game about cars, both of these would make sense to see and useful for gameplay. A car hauler would be rather involved to get in game as it's an entirely new trailer with upfit and some interactive functions. But it is also one of the most requested trailer types. While few computers would be happy with one fully loaded with player cars, a half loaded one with the simplified AI vehicles should be possible for most computers. An enclosed trailer would be a nice career mode upgrade to haul higher value cars or use as a race team trailer/prop, and also easier on ye old graphics card. While we do have the ramp on the dry van trailer, a proper car hauler would make a lot more sense. I'm trying to stick to semi-trailers, but I may as well mention we could also see a third option, a smaller goose neck/fifth wheel hitch hauler.
    • SemiCarHauler.jpg Pickupcarhauler.jpg EnclosedCarHauler.jpg
    • Lowboy: Another common request... While functionally similar to the flatbed, it allows for larger loads and equipment that we'll likely see missions related to in career mode. This is another one with a wide variety of options, including gooseneck versions.
    • Generator trailer: I admit this one is weird, but for the sake of discussion I'd like to at least mention it. These are common sights on construction and disaster response sights, so plenty of opportunities in a laborer branch to need them. While it isn't completely as simple as plopping the existing conex prop on the existing container trailer, it isn't going to be a ground up new trailer either. Static short container trailer, a fixed conex with a new skin and a few access doors and interior detail... That's really it...
    • Folding log trailer: This one has been floating around in various suggestion forums since this week's teaser with the hayrack trailer. While these have recently fallen out of favor for preference of double bunk types, they still have advantages and can be seen once in awhile. Anyone who has played Spintires is familiar with these and their main advantage of portability when deadheading. These are a classic look and would allow for larger loads than the short log trailer we're getting
    • FoldableTrailer.jpg
    Of course there are more trailer types out there that would be cool to see, but I feel that these would allow us to get a lot of variety in career mode missions for the recourses required to get them in game

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

I would love to have a logging trailer like that, as well an older trailer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice