1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Forum changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Oct 12, 2015.

1. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Yes, very hard. We are sitting here all day thinking on how we can make the user experience worse.

it will be back :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Going to fix that now ...

3. burk

burk
    Expand Collapse

i have some more things to point out, will edit as i find more stuff

in the corner of any forum thing there is this "wifi icon" that shows the page info is only useful for about 0.01% of anyone that visits, it should rather be under info or at least something you can
    switch on and off

when you are at the top of a page, it shows the home icon, but as soon as you go a little down it shows that settings icon that also goes to the home page and does not have any purpose (yet) other than having a little more surface to click on

the new smileys, they seem a little bit childish and do not fit the tone that this site should have becouse of it´s nature and also 13/16 year age restriction

yellow and black/white theme

if you mouse over the profile link in the top right corner they do not go away until you click somewhere else, and should not open unless you click on them

when clicking on the home button, it says that the homepage is in the forum category and to go to the actual forums you need to click them again

the menu when you hover over the flag in the top right is a little too transparent and makes it seem like the messages overlap each other in terms of "backlight"

the guys who make the game/are involved with it should have orange names like before, it gives them a more powerful and respectful wibe, i can see the little "flair" around your profile, but for example where you can see the most recent visitors or online right now, it stands out from the mess that is many many gray names.

the black bar at the top should kinda not be there, and instead should be migrated with the green bar to have more space for the content you are viewing

thanks button has more meaning in my opinion

the green arrows that pop up when in the middle of scrolling or doing something are (in my mind) just glorified PgUP and PgDn buttons

positives

like how if the forums do not have 3,6 or 9+ topics the two or one that is left gets stretched out to leave less blank space

search by title added in the search thing and just search overall highly improved

additional note

most things that you have to mouse over will make the site not as functional for mobile users and will be hard for some people to get used to since normally we have to click on something to make it show. this could still be fixed by changing the code for the mobile site to require a additional click to make something show up

to be changed in the future

only tdev and nadeox1 are noted as staff but that will change

sorry for the huge and long post :/

4. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Maybe...

GASP

CHANGE FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE IS A STUPID THING TO DO?

CHANGES CAN BE.... BAD?

COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE?

Someone should get a team of researchers on this, quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  6. burk

burk
    Expand Collapse

while i can think the new layout will take some time to get used to i think the most thing is that the old softwhere was getting outdated and had security problems, was getting slow and while most users where really really used to the old layout this is a change for the better in terms of performance and security.

edit: veyroneb ninjad meh D:

7. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

What i don't like is that there is still a reply button that does Full-Quote. Why not just @Name and done. Why the full quotes.
    It will again spam threads full of Thread-Starter-Posts just to say how awesome something is.

8. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

@Cira the quick reply has @ autocompletion, try it :)

didn't even know about this feature before - neat :D

and yes, the smilies suck D:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

@tdev I see but i fear as peeps are used to the reply button they'll just continue using it.

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Reading this thread and the attitude of certain people really saddens me..

I'm quite sure the guy(s) working on it are more than happy to receive and take consideration of feedback and stuff, but angry mob thinking do not help, at all.

And, like the changes the old forums went through, it's just a matter of time till everybody gets used to this forum.

The mobile version is pretty neat and well organized by the way.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Combustibob

Combustibob
    Expand Collapse

I'm not usually a big fan of major changes to sites that I visit regularly, but honestly I really dig the new look.
    I say nice work, it's a refreshing change of pace. Even though some things have been moved around I don't feel like I need to relearn the site, it seems to function the same while looking a bit more snazzy.
    Good job so far guys, and good luck with whatever tweaking you still have left to do.

12. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

@Cira ah, well, we disabled quite some features so far, we'll see how it works out ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zchill

Zchill
    Expand Collapse

any chance of new tech demo

14. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

However much people resist change (including myself), this new setup seems more efficient and faster than the old one

15. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

Anyway to force desktop mode on a mobile device? I don't have any cookies and the browser is set to force desktop mode.

16. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

I really like the new design, i'm looking forward to seeing some more BeamNG in the design :D
    Oh and i miss the recent posts location from the old design though.

Overall:
    Awesome change.

Thanks devs.

17. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I like it as well; it looks and feels cleaner, more active, and vibrant now. Signatures look better imo. The forum reminds me now vaguely of how blackboard forums work (used by my college).

18. ARY5588

ARY5588
    Expand Collapse

I like the new design it is so clean! :D

19. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

Tdev (and everyone else), thank you for the explanations and wonderful replies to the hate. :) The new software is growing on me, and I'm enjoying the overall smoother feel and additional helpful features.

20. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

One thing to note is the lack of gif avatars around here :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice