Cancelled Ford Mondeo mk5

Discussion in 'Land' started by nukezbomz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Cancelled. Now in development for rFactor 2 as a fictional touring car instead.

End of October 2013:

I've definitely been slacking with this. Apart from tidying parts up there's been no progress at all. So I want to propose something.

If somebody wants to finish this and get it in game I'm happy to give them the Blender files in order to do it. The
    onlyconditions I have is that I get the blender files back when it's done and when it's released, I get at least some credit for getting this far. I think I'll learn a lot more that way, especially for interior modelling.

What needs doing?
    Subframe tidying up - maybe even rebuilt.
    Wheels (not started them)
    Suspension components
    Engine (I have a basic engine modelled, needs details)
    Interior - I've done a very, very low-poly attempt that hasn't gone well.
    Lights - basic shapes done, but they're awful!
    Other stuff I've probably forgotten.

Basically what you get is a complete outer body - rear bumper could do with some work as there's a missing seam on it, but other than that it's complete.

The reason I started this was to get a modern car into BeamNG. I still want to get it into BeamNG, but feel I don't currently have the time or the motivation to do it. If someone from this community can step up and finish this for me it'd be much appreciated.

My intention all along was to have this as an "open source" car. So people could improve it or rebuild it as they see fit after I'd finished it - unfortunately I haven't got as far as finishing it. I'd love to have the time to, but unfortunately I don't.

If you're interested in finishing this, then send me a PM.

OLD FIRST POST:

I've never done any 3D modelling before - and always wanted to give it a go. So after reading about Blender on here (and previously being confused to hell by 3DSMAX) I decided to try Blender to see if it was any easier than 3DSMAX. Turns out it is...

There's no guarantee I'll finish it due to my own personal time constraints, but I'll give it my best shot. Getting things into the game seems to be the difficult part.

Also any criticism will be well received as I built this by using a YouTube video to set up blueprints then just pressed buttons after that. Some of the gaps between panels do need fixing, I'm aware of that.

Update 1 (22/08)
    I've abandoned the mk4 estate as the blueprints for the back end matched very poorly. I have managed to find an excellent blueprint (which all fits :) ) for the Mondeo mk5 saloon. (Or Ford Fusion for you US people).

I've done no smoothing at all on it so it's very rough, will try and sort out the smoothing after work tonight, I got carried away with modelling and only realised the smoothing was non existent after I'd done this render.

I am using quads for this model (also did so with the last one), but it looks a bit dodgy around the front bumper and I'm not sure why. Once again the doors are placeholders for now.

Update 2 (22/08)

Started again as my previous attempt had no polyflow (see image 1), I think this is much better (image 2 and 3), but still a little rough. Hopefully that can be fixed when I add more polys/detail later.

Update 3 (24/08)

I'm finally getting somewhere! A lot of time has gone into this and thanks to some tips from alias8818 I've got something that mostly resembles a 2014 Mondeo / 2013 Fusion. The doors aren't fully detailed, but I do have all of the main body parts of the car now, which considering I'd never done this before I week ago, I'm pretty pleased with this. :)

(imported from here)

Update 4 (26/08)

Not spent too much time with it in the last couple of days. Done some of the details around the front bumper. Attempted a headlight that didn't turn out too well. Fog lights still to-do. Done a very embarrassing attempt at a very low-poly interior (only for my eyes at the minute!), done the frame, some of the chassis and underneath. One bit that is completed is the boot! And I've played about with some materials. :)

Still to do:
    Full interior (no idea where to start with that?!)
    Fog lights
    Attempt 2 at headlights
    Wing Mirrors
    Engine, drive train etc.

(imported from here)

Update 5 (03/09)

Not so much progress over the last week due to man flu, but I've done some bits and pieces.

Wing mirrors are now done - just need some finishing touches
    There's a low-poly engine in there.
    Boot is done (or trunk for you Americans)
    Slightly more of the interior, but still too embarrassing to show! :D
    All windows are now placed properly
    Windscreen wipers are wrong.

Also showing first shots of the rear end today. The rear bumper needs to be completely remodelled as I've mucked it up, but it'll do for now. I'm also probably going to re-do the frame at some point, but both of those things will be after I've got an initial test version in-game.

My current aim is to have something in-game before the end of this month. Although that is subject to change as I'm off on holiday next week.

Can somebody tell me how to do wheels and tyres? Or point me to a tutorial which does it the correct way for BeamNG, I've seen a few different methods floating around the internet, just want to make sure I get the right one. I'm also struggling with the interior so any tips on that would be appreciated. :)

Anyway, some screenshots:

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

Attached Files:

• 79c7799c-34b1-48aa-8a84-b83c7b4c5892_zpscf1572a3.jpg
    • mondeopreview.png
    • mondeopreviewmesh.png
    • 2408preview.png
    • 2608preivew.png
    #1 nukezbomz, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rhx123

rhx123
    Expand Collapse

Re: Ford Mondeo mk4 Estate

Looks good so far. I really like the idea of some every day modern cars being in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. derbymutt

derbymutt
    Expand Collapse

It looks great for your first model, though since you asked for some constructive criticism, I'll give you some.

Your doors don't seem to line up, but that's an easy fix. Also, it looks like you have a few backfaces in your model (look for the bad shading).

Edit: I looked at the pic again, and it doesn't look like you spent time on poly flow, though that's fine for your first model. I'd suggest learning to work in quads though for later on. Also, Triangle placement makes a huge difference in shading.

4. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input :) The doors are placeholders for now, will do them properly once i'm happy with the front end. Can you explain what you mean by poly flow and working with quads? I really am THAT new to modelling! :D

5. derbymutt

derbymutt
    Expand Collapse

Its not the best example of poly flow, but it does show my point.

44Waf.png
    A quad is a square made of triangles.

Using quads, you can achieve polyflow (explained below)

See how the quads flow in a relatively even pattern, thats polyflow.
    44W6D.jpg

(Images are of my Corvette C3 model that I did for rigsofrods)

6. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks derbymutt, it clears some of it up.

I have one question - is it easier to build the whole car as 1 part and separate them later, or do each part individually (as I've been doing)?

7. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Re: [WIP] Ford Mondeo mk5

Update in first post. :)

8. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

There's no actual polyflow on that model. You're supposed to keep everything in a vague kind of 'grid' pattern as you go through the car's body. You're going to have a hard time smoothing it properly.

9. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Ah, you might be onto something there - call it a newbie error! ;)

From memory (at work at the minute so can't check) I had the front bumper quite well gridded, then I got to work on the shapes around the fog lights and probably completely broke the flow of polys around there as I moved the vertices. 3D is still very new to me, it makes my brain work it ways it's never worked before! I can deal with 2D. :p

10. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I can have a go at fixing it into some kind of grid as 3DS max has a lot of good tools for that kind of thing. Bot promising anything though ;)

11. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the offer - I'll give it a go myself tonight/over the weekend and get back to you if I get completely lost under all the polys! :)

12. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Haha no worries :)

13. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Another update in first post - started again as it was easier than fixing the other mesh!

14. Nevada

Nevada
    Expand Collapse

why this car have aston martin front ?

15. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

because ford isn't creative.

16. JJfan48

JJfan48
    Expand Collapse

I see what you did there

17. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

Because Ford have recognised that you can't beat perfection, so copy it. ;)

18. Mika2012

Mika2012
    Expand Collapse

Good work, only you have any triangular face. This will hinder you in your final report.
    Trying to keep absolutely 4 sides on your faces.

19. nukezbomz

nukezbomz
    Expand Collapse

New update. :)

20. alias8818

alias8818
    Expand Collapse

That looks much better. I love the detail. Good work!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice