Food & Cooking Megathread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Nadeox1, Feb 23, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Center of pan is higher when cold, that is how manufacturer designs the pan according to reply I got from them.

Pretty much any pan has been flat, both cold and hot, except under 10 euro Chinese one which did like to warp to any direction, my excuse is that I forgot to pack my Ronneby with me while being tourist for some time and required something cheap for a two weeks.

Oh this odd way made pan has 4mm thick bottom, it's coated aluminum and from brand that tries to be better than average. Shop keeper that has sold frying pans over 20 years was surprised to learn that those pans have center higher than edges, which is by design according to manufacturer.

She decided to stop selling those as it is pretty hard to fry a steak when grease is at the edge of pan and there is few millimeter air gap between hob and pan at the center, with cast iron hob there was no luck getting heat up properly, with gas and induction gaps don't matter.

I have Gas (4.3kW, fast and expensive to run at full blast), Ceramic, Induction and Cast iron hobs, I would use only gas, but cost means that every day cooking is quite often done with induction, but as lower temps are done by time relay way taste of food is not always so great with induction.

2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I'm seriously suspecting that teflon coated cooking pans are going to get banned some time soon, as heat cycled teflon is a known carcinogen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

I think those should've been banned already, with how strict health regulations are right now

4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

So I have only done about 5 mins of actual research. From what I have seen, under 300c shouldn't cause any issues with things ramping up after that point.

But my question would be, is there actual evidence of harm caused within humans? If so, then ofc something should be done about that. But equally, if the risk is minimal, doing a California proposition 65 job on this stuff would be very damaging too. There's the environmental impact of replacing all those pans; the health impact of people cooking with more oils and fats* to make up for not having non-stick pans, and; if there isn't a known safe(r) alternative that is non-stick, will people switch to something that may be just as bad or worse such as ceramic coated pans? (afaik jury is out on if they are better, worse, or same)

But to reitterate, if an actual risk to humans can be determined, then I am ofc for doing something about it. But said risk needs to be substatiated in order to decide on what action is best.

*trans saturated fats are hypothesised to be carcinogenic.

#144 aljowen, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  5. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

The only known case of a human getting sick from Teflon pans was some Japanese guy in like 2012 why took a nap while warming up his pan or something. He had a minor cough for one or two days, but that was it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Simon Spaeth

Simon Spaeth
    Expand Collapse

Had lunch at our school’s cafeteria today. The actually cook almost everything fresh there and because of that, it’s always delicious.
    Also, i had steak for Dinner

Attached Files:

• 671A6913-759F-4A99-9E46-78F77700838B.jpeg
    • C35D7464-155C-4066-A223-B9EDC5B7B301.jpeg
  7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

When I was at school I had either a cheese and onion panini, cheese and tomato panini, or a pizza panini every day. They came in a clear plastic bag from the distributor, then were shoved in a grill, and served on a plate, still in the now burnt sienna coloured plastic wrapper. The plastic would sometimes stick to the cooked panini's, in which case you had to peel off as much of the plastic as possible and make do.
    Thankfully they did eventually upgrade to real panini makers. Meaning the panini's weren't cooked inside the plastic wrappers, and they actually tasted like normal panini's, it was a genuine improvement. And, when the paper bags that they served them in stuck to them, you didn't feel quite so bad about inadvertantly consuming some of the packaging.

8. urbanestdog45

urbanestdog45
    Expand Collapse

I will agree that having the center of the pan when cold being higher than the edges, that is simply something that belongs in r/terribledesign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Simon Spaeth

Simon Spaeth
    Expand Collapse

Pickled some onions for burgers i‘ll make in the Christmas holidays. I think they’ll be tasty in burgers.

Attached Files:

• 5CA1D766-4182-4959-A95A-0C3FEC3258AD.jpeg
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

So it's Christmas aka cooking time :)
    I usually make different kinds of chocolate mousse for the dessert but this year I decided to make Panna cotta with cherry coulis.
    It is for tomorrow:
    IMG_20191224_112545.jpg IMG_20191224_115627.jpg IMG_20191224_121020.jpg
    I will also make some ham mousse for the first dish but I will do that tomorrow. The rest of the family will do the other dishes:

Ham mousse

Courgette soup

Duck breast fillet

Spoom

Beef roulade with celery puree

Panna cotta with cherry coulis

• Like Like x 3
  11. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

IMG_20191225_203718.jpg IMG_20191225_172505.jpg
    Could have looked better but it tasted nice :)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice