1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Feedback request: Triple screen support

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Aug 12, 2020.

1. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

It was just added in the recent update

• Like Like x 1
  2. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

im gonna hook up 3 monitors but place them in random positions and try to drive

3. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Oh, is this in the game now? I don't think I saw it in the release notes.
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't think it's that advanced. Based on the picture posted it's just monitor angle. You can do that in PCars 2 though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

no I know, it’s going to be super screwed up but that’s what makes it fun.

Someone try this with 3 oddesey g9 monitors.

5. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

At that point you could've just done that already.
    My buddy wants at least one of those, maybe 2.

6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

do a 2x2 grid of them, that would take up your entire field of view on the x and y axis. Best gaming experience ever.

7. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

That would require 4 of them and it would be awful having your center of view be directly in the middle of 4 bezels.

8. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

or buy a big 8k tv and boom

9. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so what angle is the tool using? Based on the visualization nothing makes sense.
    In what fashion is this possibly 90°? It's not the total angle from left monitor to right monitor, nor is it the angle from sides to center, in either direction. It also only has 5 degree increments. Is it supposed to be FOV based? I'm not sure that makes sense either and why would it be called monitor angle?
    Untitled.png

10. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

upload_2020-12-17_22-58-32.png

11. Tran

Tran
    Expand Collapse

I got the update yesterday and was really excited to see this option appear!

I mainly play iRacing on my triple screen setup and have been stuck to a single for Beam NG, so this is really exciting. However there's a few issues I have noticed.

1. If I select fullscreen, it says 5760x1080 (21:9). The 21:9 is obviously a mistake and it the software appears to believe the 21:9 and the image is horrendously squashed (it should be 48:9). My workaround was to run in windowed mode and stretch the window afterwards.

2. My triple 32s are close enough that they exceed the max FOV on the slider (174 degrees vs max selectable of 150 or 160).

3. The shadows don't appear sync'd between the different monitors. This can make one of the screens appear much darker than the others for a few seconds.

4. Performance is pretty awful on any map. I'm not sure what the limitation is, single thread rendering? (ancient i7 2600k and 5700XT here), hoping a 5900X will fix that if it ever comes back into stock.... At 50fps the frame pacing is super choppy, even with Freesync (though it's always been choppy even at higher FPS) Maybe this is partially to do with my fix for 1, since I always run everything else in fullscreen.

5. I couldn't see how to do bezel compensation but this is relatively minor in comparison to the other issues with the monitors I am using.

Anyway, really happy to see this, looking forward to using it once it's full up and running :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

A. That's clearly not a 90, and if that was the case then 180 would be flat, which based on the diagram it absolutely isn't.
    B. Absolutely no one measures the monitor angle like that.
    C. The actual angle shown is nearly 120 degrees by that measure.
    2.png
    For posterity, the resulting measurement from this diagram that people normally measure would be 60 degrees. The inverse of that, being angle from horizontal would be 30 degrees. By absolutely no metric is anything shown to be 90 degrees.

#52 JZStudios, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 2ndlastjedi

2ndlastjedi
    Expand Collapse

14. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

@tdev Can I get an explanation please? The triple screen settings are actually unusable, aside from other minor annoyances that haven't been addressed. Primarily, the main menu and UI elements are still spread across the screens instead of kept centered.
    Here it is enabled with what should be my monitor angle;
    enabled.png
    This is completely unusable. It's significantly worse than just not having it enabled.
    disabled.png
    What exactly are the overlapping "screens" supposed to be showing in the diagram? What's the angle measurement supposed to be because it makes no sense? As Tran mentioned, it's showing triple monitor as 21:9 which makes no sense.
    Also as mentioned by Tran, my framerate drops from a mediocre 52 to 32 as shown in the upper right simply by enabling triple screen rendering. A 60% performance decrease.

#54 JZStudios, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  15. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Sorry guys, this went out kind of unfinished. We even did not include this in the changelog because we missed it.

The overlapping screens was a test that i did not finish for additional bevel settings that never got implemented :/
    For the next update we'll clean this up, sorry for the bad experience.

• Like Like x 6
  16. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Well that explains it. Guess I'll just stick to the old way. For the next update are we looking at a hotfix or the next big update? If it's the next big update it would probably be best to just remove it until it works correctly.

17. umustbeloggedintododat

umustbeloggedintododat
    Expand Collapse

0.21.2 or 0.22?

18. TRCB

TRCB
    Expand Collapse

I look forward to the working version, its the one thing sorely missing for rig players (that and VR),

interim for some feedback, the FOV for the current version is also broken as it stretches out the view UP/DOWN
    the leftmost monitor is regular colour the other two are "greyed" out .

NOTE: the triple screen grab was triple cockpit view but I could not even see the car, the FOV slider does not change FOV so i used the camera control to bring it completely back out of the car to illustrate the issue.

triples ON
    upload_2020-12-21_6-38-42.png

triples off (normal) Orbit view (similar distance) at 33.5' FOV
    upload_2020-12-21_6-39-46.png

setup: NV2080ti, nvsurround 5760x1080

Hope this helps.

19. JorgenSm

JorgenSm
    Expand Collapse

I just registered to say I experienced exactly the same. Setting it up for the first time on my rig, Fanatec DD1+HE Sprints and triples. Looking forward to seeing that vertical stretch effect fixed. :)

20. Havner

Havner
    Expand Collapse

Same here. Just bought the game seeing it supports triples finally, but still not usable. Any news which version will contain the fixes? Thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice