Facebook buys Occulus

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bubbleawsome, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

TBH i have never played it, but thats a fairly irrelevant point. The rest of the comment still stands.

2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

not the part about notch not being able to go to ps4 for VR, as there is no longer a contract preventing that, also, it's quite relevant, since you brought it up in your post, so i corrected some out of date info

3. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Was considering to buy one before if the price ever dropped below 300 euros, after having tried a dev version at internship. Now I won't, because, even though I use Facebook daily, I refuse to give them a single dime of my money due to how they do business. Same with EA and companies like that.

Sad really, how they managed to basically ruin a very, very good piece of kit. And yes, they did ruin it, for me at least. Even if Facebook would make it great, a lot of pre-orders were cancelled and a lot of devs are pulling support, which means that the price is no longer reasonable for what games actually have support for the Rift. If I would've bought it, it would've been for racing games only, mainly BeamNG. If tdev really did stop support for the Rift in BeamNG, then there's not much point for me anymore.

4. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

At first I was disappointed. Then I thought about it some more, maybe it will be ok and FB will let them be independent and autonomous. Then I realised that John Carmack works for facebook. Then I was disappointed again. :(

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Aye, the old legend gets thrown in with the asshats

I may now have to play doom again

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Holy shit, this tone is everywhere I look. "I've cancelled my preorder" and all that. Did Facebook just kill the Occulus Rift or am I simply hearing from a vocal minority?

7. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to hope Facebook didn't just kill Oculus, but I have a feeling Facebook done goofed. I'm assuming we are the vocal minority, but I could be wrong.

8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I think they killed it. I was planning to pre-order too, and now they have to prove themselves first. If everyone thinks that then they have no base to prove it with.

9. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I certainly hope they don't butcher it... but I have very little faith in that.

10. Regular_K

Regular_K
    Expand Collapse

What a shame, I am also not going to pre-order because of this, I will never give facebook a single fucking cent, personally, I would love to see the day where everyone started deleting their accounts, and stop using facebook altogether, unfortunately, that wont happen. But all I can say is, Fuck You. Mark Zuckerberg, you reptilian fuck.

11. The Sturmovik

The Sturmovik
    Expand Collapse

It's kinda sad; most people are being preemptive about the whole thing, but at the same time, I feel the same way too. I hope it turns out this just means better funding rather than some stupid social media disaster in the brewing...

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

preemptive? i laughed. :) If you dont pay for a service you are not the customer, you are the product being sold. Facebook never was anywhere near to be a social system, just because you can be "social" on it. It is a system to acquire data and/to sell data. Add related data for example, but that wont be the only category.
    And this made me laugh too:
    ag9bxqw-460sa.gif

13. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

Quite honestly, I think everyone is grossly overreacting to this development.
    While I am very much interested in Oculus' Rift platform, and fairly wary of Facebook acquiring them as a company, I feel that devs pulling Rift support and people screaming about their pre-orders is quite frankly a bit knee-jerk.
    Yes, Facebook is not the kind of company that I would like to see Oculus owned by, however if the consumer version of the Rift still releases and works, I won't care. Facebook has already stated that they will not be halting the development of the Rift, and will hopefully remain fairly hands-off with the project.

While I don't see this development in the VR field as being something entirely positive, I am withholding judgement until actual facts emerge about how this purchase will effect Oculus' future. I would hope that those developing for the Rift (BeamNG included) would avoid making rash choices about supporting or dropping the platform until more long-term information is available.

I might also point out that Sony's VR headset is slated for exclusive use with the Playstation 4, a platform which lacks many of the indie and open source projects that make VR technology very exciting on the PC platform.

14. KarlRyker

KarlRyker
    Expand Collapse

Give this man a cookie for being one of the reasonable ones on this thread!

Actually, here:
    Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice