WIP Facade HST-001 (the HSV's twin)

Discussion in 'Land' started by spedy7, Jan 3, 2016.

1. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

Well, I figured it's about time I contributed something to BeamNG. I just started modeling so bear with me, it's not going to be the prettiest. I don't have the intent on making a perfect example, but probably close since this is literally my first complete somewhat-real car (following a tutorial on it now actually lol). My plan is to make the body, then put it on a tube chassis for now (sort of like a nascar/trophy truck). It'll probably be quite awhile (especially since I just made my first working car just last night), but I have the intent to finish it eventually. Hopefully I can add that sound though :D

hsv-progress.png

Day 2:
    A bit more progress, moving onto the trunk area.

hsv-progress2.png

At this point, I'm gonna call this an "off-brand replica" more than an actual HSV as its hard for me to make a copy of something (my drawings are worse in attempts to draw my Mustang lol). It'll look similar though so if you squint hard enough you can call it an HSV ;). I just need a name...

Day 3:
    hsv1.png hsv2.png

Front end is mapped out now. Since I can't make a 100% carbon copy, I suppose a name change is in suit. How does the Facade HST-001 sound?
    hsv3.png

#1 spedy7, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 14
  2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Looks good. I hope you finish making this car :)

Here are some (sorta) blueprints.

3. DirtGamer301

DirtGamer301
    Expand Collapse

You should look at the blueish/blackish looking faces (depending on how you move the camera), then select them all and press ctrl+f - Flip Normals. They're backfaces, meaning that they're facing the wrong direction.
    Also, on the hood, are those single planes? If so, give them some thickness, nothing in the world can be without thickness at all ;)

4. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

Those'll help a lot - the ones I got are abit blurry, thanks :)

The vents were a pain in the butt to make and it irks me the damn faces keep going the wrong way. Would adding some thickness help it a little? Also, I'm currently mirroring it from one side to the other, does beamng support this or will I have to dupe, flip, and merge what I have now?

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

It would be great to see something like this in the game...I doubt an LMP1 car is too far off....

6. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

7. YoYDawn 2

YoYDawn 2
    Expand Collapse

This is so cool@ Cannot wait for this to be completed. What engine do you think you will put in it? The original 3.4L V8?

8. DirtGamer301

DirtGamer301
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that's the tutorial he's most likely using for this, but there's no problem about that, is there? It's a good tutorial and will teach him plenty of useful things which will also help him creating another model without tutorial later. :)

The vents faces will always face wrong on one side if they're without thickness (thickness isn't the right word actually because there's still nothing behind the faces and faces have no thickness but you get what I mean).
    Unbenannt.png
    I hope this little explination helps a little bit, I seriously suck at explaining anything :)

About mirroring, as long as you apply the modifier later it'll be supported by everything, including BNG.

Edit: I suggest you to either use Edge loops for better shading or, instead of Edge Split when the model is done, Mark Sharp (ctrl+e -> Mark Sharp) and edge split at 180°. It's like manual edge split.
    This way your vehicle isn't 100% smooth even if it's not suppoed to be.
    Edge loops will help the shading to be smooth, but not fully smooth, so it's a bit sharper, you can move the loop and check when the shading is right and Mark Sharp is for entirely sharp edges, how you won't find them IRL but they're usually OK for game models.

9. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I wasn't trying to blame him for anything, in fact, I was trying to help him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

That's the plan if I can get some good pictures of it (and have the skills). A good sound example for it would be awesome too.

Yeah that's the tutorial I'm following. Had trouble setting up the blueprints so things are off here and there, but whatever, I'm not aiming for a 100% replica. If things work out fine, I'll probably start my own manufacturer :p.

You explained well enough for me, but how do you suggest going about adding "thickness" to it? Use the solidify modifier or extrude the faces? And when making the actual jbeam for it, will the mirrored vertexes and edges work?

#10 spedy7, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DirtGamer301

DirtGamer301
    Expand Collapse

I usually just extrude the faces, never heard about the solidy modifier but it might also be a good solution.

By as I understood how you model (model one side and mirror the other one) everything works fine.

12. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

Cool, thanks for the help :)

13. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Yay! Finally a Honda!

14. OMG cat

OMG cat
    Expand Collapse

looks nice keep up the good work!

15. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

More progress! And a new name to suit :)

Introducing the Facade HST-001:
    hsv3.png

I can't decide on wheels though. Any thoughts?

#15 spedy7, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  16. OMG cat

OMG cat
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm. what about this?

Attached Files:

• hgjgj.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice