1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. TalksWithNoise

TalksWithNoise
    Expand Collapse

Just wanted to give a massive thanks for supporting VR. It's hard playing without it now :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Highking Viking

Highking Viking
    Expand Collapse

I love the VR mode!

But just some issues:
    - The map is clearly missaligned in vr mode, you cant correctly set waypoints
    - On the Quest 3, quest link is'nt working correctly, I only get a few fps, while virtual desktop works fine
    - Additional windows like the fps meter will not show in vr. Thats especially an issue on servers like carp
    - I cant get the open xr toolkit running?
    - a lot of sequences that are shown in the beginning of missions like "from workshop to workshop" are really f'd up. The camera is doing loopings before I can see the description of the weather, traffic ect. of the upcoming tour. I'd really like to vomit less! So pleeeeease for the love of god let us disable it entirely in vr mode. The same for the zoom out when opening the map. While it is not a huge problem for me personally, I just cant justify getting my friends used to vr, if they need to start an ejector seat everytime they look on the map.

Other than that, Beam NG is soo perfect for VR! <3

#562 Highking Viking, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. high on the highway

high on the highway
    Expand Collapse

Firstly thank you for supporting VR and Steynak to you for absolutely perfect support and deep knowledge.

I have found that less ui elements in vr is better for immersion so wanted to say that in career mode red warning box about how it is experimental is big offender in this regard. So if it could be for example acknowledged and hidden - that would be great. :)

Thanks!

4. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

That's your first message in eight years (well, eight years in four days)? Wow.

5. high on the highway

high on the highway
    Expand Collapse

Maybe, just maybe i have some old account and just logged in throught steam today. Either way it is not bussin.buses business and is offtopic.

#565 high on the highway, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  6. ILoveVR

ILoveVR
    Expand Collapse

My car turns invisible when i get into VR. Any fixes for this?

7. ILoveVR

ILoveVR
    Expand Collapse

How to fix missing textures when in VR?

8. ILoveVR

ILoveVR
    Expand Collapse

bottom half of textures and pause menu missing in VR mode. tried to open in safe mode+vulkan but this error (in picture) was shown.

tried clearing cache and even reinstalling the game. nothing works

Attached Files:

• error.png
    • error2.png
    #568 ILoveVR, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  9. Playboi Carti

Playboi Carti
    Expand Collapse

A fix for VR water is all I want from the next update. Also add ck graphics mod options into the base game please, it helps SO MUCH with performance and pop in.

10. Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
    Expand Collapse

for some reason, the controller lines only appear when the mirroring mode is set to "between eyes" i usually use the "empty" option for fastest performance and enabling the "between eyes" options adds quite a bit of latency, without the lines i find it really hard to press triggers.

11. Calatinus

Calatinus
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone managed to run VR with the following hardware combo?:

• Intel A770 16 GB
    • PICO4
    Anything I tried doesn't work, the best I got was to connect with SteamVR, got no image inside the headset, but got the streamed image controlled by my movements on the PC display, with some heavy artifacts.
    I noticed that also I sometimes get artifacts inside the Vulkan client, but I think it's unrelated to the topic.

12. Calatinus

Calatinus
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it this is helpful, but when I start the SteamVR, I continuously get this message in the debug console:

Code:
    Sat Mar 23 2024 23:52:45.210 [Info] - vkGetPhysicalDeviceImageFormatProperties2 failed with result -11
    Sat Mar 23 2024 23:52:45.210 [Error] - ComposeLayerProjection: failed to submit view 1: VRCompositorError_SharedTexturesNotSupported

13. yungfishstickk

yungfishstickk
    Expand Collapse

This doesn't seem to work. Checked Steam and Oculus software and no changes have been made to resolution, still can't push resolution past 100%. I'll just wait for more updates.

14. 900 Piece McNuggets

900 Piece McNuggets
    Expand Collapse

When I Click Activate It Wont Do Anything And When I Open The Console It Says this (attached image)
    my headset is connected too

Attached Files:

• Screenshot2024-03-29160120.png
  15. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Known issue, no ETA for a fix.
    This could be due to running out of VRAM. Specially if you are using SteamVR too (which will eat 3.5gb of VRAM on its own, even before BeamNG.drive tries to run its own stuff), rather than Meta's OpenXR directly.
    Known issue, only the CEF gui is shown in VR. Every other kind of ui, such as ImGUI, will not show up. No ETA for a fix, we're not sure how to tackle this problem without tanking FPS even more.
    No idea, try and see, but keep in mind we don't offer support when using 3rd party software, as some of those might create issues that are out of our hands to fix.
    Thanks for the report, we need to fix those, rather than remove features. I've forwarded to the relevant people.

Edit: some of these issues will be fixed for v0.32, please let me know after the release if you still find similar camera problems :)

Thank you, glad you're enjoying it!

I've forwarded to the career team, although this is unlikely to get modified anytime soon - the disclaimer is needed to lower the workload of our Support team.

This is not a known issue. Are you sure you didn't accidentally change the Options > Display > VR > slider for rendering distance? Greater number means more elements will become invisible.
    Since most people have been misusing this slider setting, it will be removed in v0.32. But in the meantime, give it a try.
    We are not aware of any issues with textures being broken while in VR. Can you please provide more details, a screenshot, etc? Thanks!
    We are not aware of this kind of issue. Can you please provide more details, screenshot, etc?

This is a known issue, but we don't have an ETA for a fix for it - the key people are already really overworked with various other tasks, so this may take a while to get fixed.
    No plans to integrate CK Mod Options - despite the author already being in the dev team. Most people are not really aware of this, but including things as part of the official game requires rising the quality bar a ton. Because having the game break for, let's say, 0.1% of users, makes it impossible to ship the feature already, as this will lead to a flood of complaints and will make the community angry. We can't just include the mod and call it a day, it would require a lot of work to get it up to par (even if a lot of people can say "but it works for me!"), that we currently cannot spare.

Known issues, this was fixed months ago internally, the fix will be shipped in v0.32.

We have never tested VR with Intel gpus, since they are already pretty broken even without throwing VR into the mix. There is ongoing efforts together with Intel to improve the situation of their GPUs, but there's nothing we can suggest for now, other than sitting tight and making sure to update your Intel drivers frequently to benefit from whatever bugfixes they are including. In many cases, Vulkan issues get fixed simply by updating drivers.

You say pushing resolution "past 100%", can you be more specific about what option you are talking about? Maybe take a screenshot of such an option, so that we're on the same page. Currently I'm not sure what you are referring to so it's hard to help. Thank you!

This sounds like you have not set up any OpenXR runtime as the default in your computer, or that the headset is not plugged, or that the headset is not currently recognized as active by the drivers.
    Are you able to run any other OpenXR-based program different than BeamNG.drive?
    And in addition to answering that question ^, please check our guide on how to use VR (including following the links inside that section), here: https://documentation.beamng.com/support/vr/#how-do-i-use-vr

#575 stenyak, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Tomica

Tomica
    Expand Collapse

The vr experience right now is pretty playable, i dont know which patch/update did it, but for me it uses lot less vram. Low end users dont give up hope (unless you want to play italy / wcusa).
    I have i3-10100f, 2x8gb ram, gtx 1060 3GB, i use Oculus Rift (no steamvr running) and game is running on my HDD. In the past, i would get around 5gb vram usage, but currently it sits around 3.2gb (shared vram).
    I always start vr in main menu, and dont change any graphic settings ingame (i do it before vr).

Graphic settings i use are : everything lowest, except (Lighting low, AF x16, grass density 0.6, VR resolution 98%). Ive also noticed that having lightning set to lowest causes the sea to render bad (doesnt render far, different between eyes).
    I also turned ASW off, as its horrible if you cannot keep stable framerate constantly. While the fps isnt much to brag about, it is mostly a smooth experience, and fps stays mostly around ~44 and sometimes dips around ~22 depending on map. Ive also noticed having 2 ai traffic cars and 1 parked doesnt have too much effect on fps / stability. I also have ~50 mods installed.

I have tested it on my own map (soon on repo maybe), jungle rock, and east coast. East coast is the most stable one, rarely dips to ~22 fps, while the other two frequently dip. (in the last screenshot i set lighting to lowest to show the sea rendering incorrectly, compared to other ones) (P.S i am leaning in the pictures cuz of my keyboard so i can screenshot)
    Screenshot2024-04-13133721.png Screenshot2024-04-13133800.png Screenshot2024-04-13134614.png Screenshot2024-04-13135229.png Screenshot2024-04-13135602.png Screenshot2024-04-13140005.png Screenshot2024-04-13140309.png

#576 Tomica, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  17. askyour_dad

askyour_dad
    Expand Collapse

Is there a a way to fix screen tearing in a headset when playing beamng?

18. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

This is not a known issue, and should never happen: as game developers, even if we wanted, we have no way to try to make screen tearing happen. That's all handled by the drivers and by the VR runtime, we have no say on how that works.

Which VR headset are you using?

19. askyour_dad

askyour_dad
    Expand Collapse

Quest 2

20. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

A good amount of people using Meta headsets have reported similar issues, as we mention in our documentation, here.

From what we have investigated here from BeamNG, the issues appear to be related to Meta's asynchronous timewrap implementation. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get a useful response back from Meta so far.

Could you please try one of two things:
    - Either try to ensure the MINIMUM framerate is always above 90fps. This will make Meta drivers to avoid using reprojection.
    - Or disable their reprojection system directly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice