WIP Engine Sound Pack

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by TheAdmiester, Oct 15, 2016.

1. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to preface this post with a little disclaimer: these sounds are from Forza Horizon 3. There will never be a repo release. I will eventually release it here but if the original authors have a problem with it, it will be taken down.

After testing a lot of sound mods on the repository, I've never felt that there was a pack that really had the "right" sound for every car, so I thought I'd make my own.

It's by no means perfect since it's my first real mod, but (and of course I'm biased here) I feel that what I have so far suits the base game cars more than other mods that I've tested out.

With that out the way, here's what I have so far - Subaru Boxer sounds for the Hiroci SBR's Flat-4 engine:

I have the idle and high revs pretty much exactly how I want them, but there's more work to be done on the mid-RPM areas with droning and blending.

• Like Like x 20
  2. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Are you going to add one for the Moonhawk?

3. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

The aim is to have a different sound not only for every car, but for every engine using the soundGroup system.

For example the base model I6 Moonhawk will sound different to a V8 Moonhawk. This was one of the main aims since I never liked the fact that most mods simply give every variant of a car model the same sound.

EDIT: I won't be covering the T75 since I have no decent source for truck sounds, and the last thing I want to do is use low quality samples or ones with background noise. The pack will be covering the smaller road vehicles.

#3 TheAdmiester, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Looking forwards to this! I like the sounds from FH3 and some of them will wonderfully suit the BeamNG cars.

5. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Boxer sounds have been improved a decent bit, less droning in the mid range and now the high RPM sample overpowers the rest. No video to show yet, but I have been working on this (sounds are boosted for the video, it isn't this loud ingame):

This is just the I6 series of course, the V8s will be done separately. This one isn't perfect either so I'll be working on it a bit but it already sounds pretty good.

• Like Like x 6
  6. NinetyNine!

NinetyNine!
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Artist
    BeamNG Team

and this is how a extremely powerful 658cc i3 engine should sound like.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Dude can you make sbr4 sound like panamera or Ferrari FF ? It could be awesome !
    Cheers

8. AMG V12

AMG V12
    Expand Collapse

The SBR4 has a flat 4. The FF has a V12 and the Panamera has a V6/V8. There is no reason for them to sound the same.

• Like Like x 5
  9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I'm recording engines that match the cars in Beam. What you're asking for is what I don't like about many mods on the repo.

• Like Like x 3
  10. A Sawblade Dude

A Sawblade Dude
    Expand Collapse

Would you ever try adding turbo anti-lag/backfire sounds eventually?

11. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I won't give a definitive yes or no to anything, it all just depends on time and what the engine can do. If it's feasible I'll give it a go at some point but don't expect anything soon if ever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

If you make sounds for all the engines in the game and they're all this good, I will actually come to your house and make you some porridge no questions asked

13. A Sawblade Dude

A Sawblade Dude
    Expand Collapse

Well so far, this looks promising. Keep up the good work.

14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

It is amazing how far back in the dark ages the Torque sound scheme is. It all reminds me of those wonderful days with NFS 1 on the 3DO.
    At least there is some serious nostalgic memories to get out of it:p. I like how people are trying to improve things and the day the T75 stops
    sounding like a D15 will be a great day.

15. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

If you're adding sounds for the different engines then I must ask: What about mods that add their own engines? What sounds will they have?

16. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I haven't figured that part out yet. Naturally for cars that have more than one engine type, I've had to modify the engine .jbeam in order to add the separate soundgroups. If these mods don't use their own unique common .jbeam and instead replace it per-car it's safe to say it probably won't be compatible, either my mod will override theirs and you won't have sounds on the non-stock engines, or theirs will override mine and everything will use the default sound.

In the case of VarietyMod I'm working with NinetyNine to eventually merge the mods once mine is done, so all of the base game cars will have the sounds from this mod and some that NinetyNine is making, and the engines that come with VarietyMod (like the ITEC engines) will have their own unique sounds as well. So for most mods I don't think it'll be compatible due to the mod system unfortunately, but in the case of VM it should be totally compatible once we make a merge.

EDIT: Used the BMW M235i for the shared ETK straight-6 engines. Pretty happy with what I have so far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

Alright. How would you merge varietymod together with this one then? Because varietymod is repo friendly but this isn't. Would it be a new optional file you can use?

18. OldSnake

OldSnake
    Expand Collapse

19. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

This is really cool! Can't wait for release! Also does the Pigeon have the Reliant Robin enigne sound? Just asking because FH3 has the Reliant Robin.

20. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, NinetyNine did that one but I asked earlier and it is the Reliant sound.

The repo version won't be merged with this mod, it'll be a forum-only version to avoid any issues.

V8 what?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice