Released Engine Power Calculator

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by cuytastic101, Aug 12, 2014.

1. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

So, I've gotten lightly into .jbeam and started with recreating actual engines as separate parts for some of the cars. In doing so, I frequently reference dyno sheets and things of that sort for proper hp/torque measurements given RPM. I ran into the inconvenience of many measurements in lb.ft. as opposed to the nM torque measurements that BeamNG expects. So, I opened good ol' Excel and made myself a tool. This has been incredibly handy in matching real-life dyno results in BeamNG as well as being able to watch the power curves change as you tune parts. I'm not sure if anyone but me will get any use out of it, but I figured I'd share it with the community just in case. If it helps one person then it was worth it.

Right now, the "calculator" features:

Calculators for HP (input your known TQ@RPM values)
    -Known LB.FT. @RPM to HP
    -Known nM @RPM to HP
    Calculators for Torque (input your known HP@RPM values)
    -Known HP @RPM to LB.FT.
    -Known HP @RPM to nM
    Converters for Torque
    -nM->LB. FT. and vice versa
    "Dyno Sheet" Generator
    -Input Torque(nM)@RPM

EDIT: 8/14
    -V 1.3 Released.
    --Dyno RPM values are now EDITABLE :D
    ---Change them to suit the engine you're working on
    ---The graph auto-scales whether it's a lorry at 1500RPM or a race engine screaming at 14k
    --Expanded Dyno Table for Race-style engines.
    ---Now with more rows :D
    --Dyno Graph now significantly more accurate
    ---Better label alignment/scale
    ---Grid background for ease of visibility
    NEW SCREENSHOT V1.3
    calcscreen.jpg

COMING:
    ---V1.4+ Probably:---
    -Gearing
    --Transmission Ratios by Speed per Gear
    --Differential Ratios by Top Speed
    --Final Drive Calculation
    -HP/tonne
    -Dropdown Menus
    --Weight (for dev vehicles)
    --Tire Size (for dev vehicles)

COMPATIBILITY NOTES:

Some open source office suites may be incompatible with the XLSX format.

Attached Files:

#1 cuytastic101, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Nicely done! I'm sure this will definitely be handy to some modders out there :)

3. nolose42

nolose42
    Expand Collapse

Nice work!

4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

The Editable cells are locked out and I cant use them...thats my little issue with this awesome looking program so far...and there are NO formulas either...

UPDATE

and all the cells including the editable blue ones are "Protected Cell can not be modified"

#4 RobertGracie, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

The blue cells are editable (also, make sure the program you are using can edit the sheet).

When you open the sheet, save it to desktop, then try and edit it.

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thats the first thing I did...I use Libra office...and nope didnt work...and when I saved this as a .odt file I still cant edit this and also there are NO formulas in the spreadsheet...none!

does it work for you?

#6 RobertGracie, Aug 12, 2014
  7. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it works for me, but i use microsoft office. All the formulas are present. I will see if i can get it work on Libre office for you. :)

EDIT: I got it to work on 'Numbers' (Mac software) and Libre office (Also on the Mac, latest download). Be aware that after typing the numbers in you must either click enter or click another cell for the application to aply the formula.

#7 daveywaveyHD, Aug 12, 2014
  8. nolose42

nolose42
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it works when you open the xls file instead of the xlsx file

I'll put the xls file in the attachment

Attached Files:

9. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Both file extensions work for me: Xls Is shown with edits below.

Attached Files:

• 4a4f184987.png
  10. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

After work today I will convert the original file from .xlsx to .xls and reupload. It never occurred to me that anyone would need the older file format. Lol.
    The teal cells are definitely editable and there are formulas... well... freakin' everywhere!

I have implemented a couple of new features as well.

TONIGHTS UPDATE:
    -Backward Compatibility
    -Updates to Dyno Output
    -Scripted Max Torque/Max HP calc.

11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Mine works as advertised. Very nice, and I appreciate a program like this, I was always too lazy and impatient to actually google the conversions, one by bloody one. This is great, and it is so nice to see NM -> Tourque/RPM values. Now recreating IRL engine TCs should be a snap!!

12. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Glad you guys are finding this useful, and sorry to those having issues. Hopefully we can get those fixed up soon.

For the future, would anyone find a gear ratio/speed/rpm chart helpful? I'm also considering adding BHP/tonne, redline and shift point calculations as well as gearing/final drive calculations.

The issue there will be getting the data to use the calculator. You would need to know how to pull curb weight, gear ratios and tire sizes from the .jbeam and input them. I do plan on implementing drop down menus for the dev vehicles transmission/tire sizes/curb weights though.

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys it works now!

14. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I love it!

15. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys! :D

I released a new update with a couple of new features, and added a list to the first post of things I intend to include in the near future. Anyone have any ideas for what they'd like to see this calculator offer?

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Something that did occur to me which might help alleviate (the hopefully solved) issues with libre and open office that robert had above would be to simply save the document in open-document format anyway. Microsoft office does support this under the save-as options and I must say its ability to read and write open document (which is the format open office uses and by extension libre office) does exceed the ability of open office to read and write microsoft format documents. I dont think numbers can read open document though but it does seem to be coping with the original microsoft formatted document anyway. To include both from your end would probably be simplest.

Just tried the most recent document version in libre-office myself and it does function, libre office simply isn't showing the formulas is all. So hopefully the above is all irrelevant anyway.

17. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Great idea! From the next update (V1.3) onward, the .zip will include both Open Document and XLSX formats.
    As for LibreOffice not showing the formulas, I think it's doing exactly its job there. I have the formulas all set to hidden for the same reason I hid the reference tables that it generates and locked all but the input cells. I was trying to avoid "HELP! I clicked a stuff and broke all the things!"

18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Oh and also check the locked Cells are set up correctly...all the Editable cells in V12 are NONE editable and all the non editable cells are none editable...always check your work before publishing it...trying not to be too picky here.....

19. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what you're talking about here... The only user-editable cells are light blue with a white border. The non-editable cells (output cells) are green. The background is dark blue, and also not editable.

Example: In the "Convert Torque" section, the only editable cells are A15 and A16 (the input cells). The unit cells (C15 and C16) are locked because the units in the formula cannot be changed. The only reason they are the same color as the input (editable) cells is for aesthetics.

I have tested V1.2 on MS Office and OpenOffice and in both programs the, input cells are editable and the locked cells (the rest of the sheet) are all locked...

#19 cuytastic101, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  20. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

In Version 1.2 the Cells I cannot Edit that ARE suppose to be Editable but I cant gain access to are:

A3, A5, A9, A11, A15-16
    B3, B5, B9, B11
    I2 - I11
    J17

All these Cells I mentioned above are suppose to be Editable but they are NOT Editable I can only go into the Green non editable cells and click there I cannot gain access to those Light Blue Cells....thats what I am trying to say...you should check how you protect this document I think you might have been selecting the wrong cells by mistake...thats my problem with this document so far...

That really does need to be addressed because I cannot use this spreadsheet I have given you the cells that are the problem can you make sure the sheet protection you have on them removed please...thanks...

#20 RobertGracie, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice